Ballistic trajectory for returning Space Station Cosmonauts

Old October 23rd 07, 05:34 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Ballistic trajectory for returning Space Station Cosmonauts

Jim in Houston wrote:
Pat, just wanted to say thanks for the research.

The research consisted of walking into the bedroom and getting my copy
of Space Station Handbook by Vladimir A. Pivnyuk. :-)
In both that and the book used to train our astronauts to go to Mir
space station the ballistic reentry gets mentioned, which shows you that
it isn't that uncommon.

Pat
Old October 23rd 07, 06:22 PM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

Jim in Houston wrote:
Pat, just wanted to say thanks for the research.

The research consisted of walking into the bedroom and getting my copy
of Space Station Handbook by Vladimir A. Pivnyuk. :-)
In both that and the book used to train our astronauts to go to Mir
space station the ballistic reentry gets mentioned, which shows you that
it isn't that uncommon.

Nah. In all of our training manuals varied and sundry off nominal and
near emergency scenarios get mentioned too...

And they aren't common.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old October 23rd 07, 08:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:
Nah. In all of our training manuals varied and sundry off nominal and
near emergency scenarios get mentioned too...

And they aren't common.

I think someone here stated that they do a ballistic reentry on the
Soyuz around 20% of the time.
They've done at least two in around the past three years; we didn't hear
about a lot of the ones earlier in the program as their weren't
international crew on board.
Another fairly common problem was the parachute causing the capsule to
flip onto its side during a landing in windy conditions and it getting
dragged around before the chute could be jettisoned.
The book is interesting in that it points out that even returning to
normal Earth gravity is tricky and uncomfortable for the Soyuz crew
after a prolonged mission, so that's why they minimize Gs during reentry
via the lifting reentry profile.
Then it tells you that maybe you'll be doing a ballistic reentry at 8-10
Gs, which is near blackout point. :-)

Pat
Old October 23rd 07, 09:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
Pat Flannery wrote:

Jim in Houston wrote:
Pat, just wanted to say thanks for the research.

The research consisted of walking into the bedroom and getting my copy
of Space Station Handbook by Vladimir A. Pivnyuk. :-)
In both that and the book used to train our astronauts to go to Mir
space station the ballistic reentry gets mentioned, which shows you that
it isn't that uncommon.

Nah. In all of our training manuals varied and sundry off nominal and
near emergency scenarios get mentioned too...

And they aren't common.

Perhaps.

But the vaunted new Soyuz-TMA has now suffered a 20% failure rate of this
mode.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old October 24th 07, 01:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

Jim in Houston wrote:
Pat, just wanted to say thanks for the research.

The research consisted of walking into the bedroom and getting my copy
of Space Station Handbook by Vladimir A. Pivnyuk. :-)
In both that and the book used to train our astronauts to go to Mir
space station the ballistic reentry gets mentioned, which shows you that
it isn't that uncommon.

Nah. In all of our training manuals varied and sundry off nominal and
near emergency scenarios get mentioned too...

And they aren't common.

Perhaps.

But the vaunted new Soyuz-TMA has now suffered a 20% failure rate of this
mode.

I agree that is Not Desireable. I was merely pointing out that
listing a casualty in a manual is no indicator of how common it is.

D.

Old October 24th 07, 02:53 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
Perhaps.

But the vaunted new Soyuz-TMA has now suffered a 20% failure rate of this
mode.

But consider that that is a 80% success rate on a perfect reentry!
Outstanding!

All the boys at the NASA PAO ;-)