Magnitude Quote

Old September 10th 05, 03:38 PM
Gareth Slee

Default Magnitude Quote

"An astronomer is someone who can't get the order of magnitude of his
magnitudes correct"

Anyone shed any light on this quote?

Gareth
--
"Stupid Gravity!"
Homer Simpson falling from a treehouse
Old September 10th 05, 05:18 PM
Mike Thomas

"Gareth Slee" wrote in message
news
"An astronomer is someone who can't get the order of magnitude of his
magnitudes correct"

Anyone shed any light on this quote?

Gareth
--

Is that how board you are??Wow

Old September 10th 05, 05:44 PM
Howard Lester

"Mike Thomas" wrote

Is that how board you are??Wow

I see you're just lumbering along, aren't you?

Old September 10th 05, 05:48 PM
Sam Wormley

Howard Lester wrote:
"Mike Thomas" wrote

Is that how board you are??Wow

I see you're just lumbering along, aren't you?

He's in my killfile with many different aliases. He's just
an attention seeking juvenile troll who doesn't even like
himself.
Old September 10th 05, 06:47 PM
Mike Thomas

"Sam Wormley" wrote in message
Howard Lester wrote:
"Mike Thomas" wrote

Is that how board you are??Wow

I see you're just lumbering along, aren't you?

He's in my killfile with many different aliases. He's just
an attention seeking juvenile troll who doesn't even like
himself.

Sam, you somehow was killed a long time ago and are just a phantom now.

Old September 10th 05, 06:54 PM
Dan Mckenna

A friend of mine years ago told me a story about his grandmother who was
on her death bed and said she wanted a bowl of breakfast cereal.

So he gave her a small bowl of "STARS" (I don't know if this cereal
exists any more). Before she would eat it she needed to be assured that
they were stars of the first magnitude and he did.

He said that he wanted to tell here that 0 magnitude stars were brighter
but decided that it was best to leave it alone.

Dan

Howard, how wood you know ?

Old September 10th 05, 07:38 PM
Stuart Levy

In article , Gareth Slee wrote:
"An astronomer is someone who can't get the order of magnitude of his
magnitudes correct"

Anyone shed any light on this quote?

Sounds like physics bigotry to me...

Do you think someone might have said this seriously? It might
have been fair in the 19th century, but not for most of the 20th.
Old September 10th 05, 10:33 PM
Howard Lester

"Dan Mckenna" typed

He said that he wanted to tell here that 0 magnitude stars were brighter
but decided that it was best to leave it alone.

Dan

Howard, how wood you know ?

You nailed it perfectly, Dan. And might I add.... YOU look MAH-velous!