what if paradox

Old November 17th 04, 05:26 PM
kjakja

Default what if paradox

Nothing is something. It is easy to believe there was always something
because nothing exists and is something.

Even the finite chance of you being alive is so enormous that some
need to assign divinity to ease their minds. Think of the lottery odds
of you existing from the uncountable events within events, solar system
creation to sperm and egg and beyond. Your life is sacred because
of this "lottery" win not because of someone's plan.

Old November 17th 04, 05:48 PM
Luigi Caselli

"kjakja" ha scritto nel messaggio
. com...
Nothing is something. It is easy to believe there was always something
because nothing exists and is something.

Even the finite chance of you being alive is so enormous that some
need to assign divinity to ease their minds. Think of the lottery odds
of you existing from the uncountable events within events, solar system
creation to sperm and egg and beyond. Your life is sacred because
of this "lottery" win not because of someone's plan.

For a better explanation see http://www.simulation-argument.com
or for an easier reading
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...358588,00.html

No need of a "lottery" win in this case...

Luigi Caselli

Old November 17th 04, 06:31 PM
Benign Vanilla

"kjakja" wrote in message
. com...
Nothing is something. It is easy to believe there was always something
because nothing exists and is something.

Even the finite chance of you being alive is so enormous that some
need to assign divinity to ease their minds. Think of the lottery odds
of you existing from the uncountable events within events, solar system
creation to sperm and egg and beyond. Your life is sacred because
of this "lottery" win not because of someone's plan.

Then again, in a Universe of this size and time...anything is possible, and
probably likely.

BV.

Old November 17th 04, 08:35 PM
Luigi Caselli

"Benign Vanilla" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...

"kjakja" wrote in message
. com...
Nothing is something. It is easy to believe there was always something
because nothing exists and is something.

Even the finite chance of you being alive is so enormous that some
need to assign divinity to ease their minds. Think of the lottery odds
of you existing from the uncountable events within events, solar system
creation to sperm and egg and beyond. Your life is sacred because
of this "lottery" win not because of someone's plan.

Then again, in a Universe of this size and time...anything is possible,

and
probably likely.

Universe is a very small place and is far too young to say that anything is
possible or likely...
The only way to justify our reality is thinking to infinite universes, and
we live just in the right one.
Otherwise the only other solution is that we live in a simulation...

Luigi Caselli

Old November 20th 04, 03:38 AM
Southern Hospitality

Benign Vanilla wrote:
"kjakja" wrote in message
. com...

Nothing is something. It is easy to believe there was always something
because nothing exists and is something.

Even the finite chance of you being alive is so enormous that some
need to assign divinity to ease their minds. Think of the lottery odds
of you existing from the uncountable events within events, solar system
creation to sperm and egg and beyond. Your life is sacred because
of this "lottery" win not because of someone's plan.

Then again, in a Universe of this size and time...anything is possible, and
probably likely.

BV.

If we use the drake equation and wittle it down so that the end answer
is 1, that's one place in each galaxy that harbors intelligent,
communicative life. How many galaxies are there in the universe? A
billion? More? Less? Is our civilization in it's existing state
considered a 'communicative' civilization? Or are we just one step below
that? Of course that's just one perspective.

Just because we have no proof of such a thing, it is not possible for
life to take on other forms in the universe such as planet sized ameoba
or energy based forms of life? If you really want to illustrate the
paradox here think of this: Our body is nothing more than a series of
chemical reactions. That kind of event happens so frequently in the
universe every nanosecond, where is the difference between the formation
of a solar system and the creation of a human being? The only
difference that I see is that one takes a billion years to form and the
other takes a few hundred thousand years to evolve. If intelligent life
can evolve in just a few hundred thousand years and our Universe is at
least 14 billion years old, what else has evolved in that time? In
relation to the universe, our civilization is a fraction of a picosecond
in it's age.
Old December 2nd 04, 03:18 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Luigi Carl Sagan used a dandelion seed as to being a universe. We
humans can only relate to macro sizes. Seems to me we could be to one
sided in thinking of intelligence relating to size. Bert

Old December 2nd 04, 03:50 PM
Luigi Caselli

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi Luigi Carl Sagan used a dandelion seed as to being a universe. We
humans can only relate to macro sizes. Seems to me we could be to one
sided in thinking of intelligence relating to size. Bert

Your post make me think about microprocessor and nanotechnology.
If, in a distant future, we'll be able to build a very small intelligent
device maybe macro size is not so important.
So, as usual when I read your posts, I have some more doubts...

Luigi Caselli

Old December 2nd 04, 07:30 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Luigi I have always said that my posts might make people think(not
just go to Google) Luigi many moons ago I read that for a machine to do
what some of the stuff our brains can do it would have to be huge. That
was before computer technology. Maybe Luigi only a computer will be able
o tell us impartially that humanoids are real.. Bert

Old December 3rd 04, 08:18 AM
B Dean

Before there can be anything, there must be a consciousness.

Old December 3rd 04, 01:24 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

B Dean Consciousness for sure. Well over a century ago this guy
James(Philosopher) had this to say. "The sense of reality,is a sort of
feeling more allied to the emotions than anything else."He in a way told
us we believe what makes us feel good to believe(tricky thinking)
In a scientist view the things humans value most have no place in the
cosmos. Like religion. Still great minds tell us he universe could have
been created by chance(quantum fluctuation). We had Carl Sagan who had
a grandeur scientific vision of the cosmos. We have Weinberg' telling
us that the sober appraisal of he scientific picture of the universe
must lead us to believe that the universe is meaningless.Hmmmm. Well I
like many have my own views. I know his to be reality "knowing about he
universe is not the thing nature allows us to do easily" Bert