CRS-11 is on its way

Old June 3rd 17, 11:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default CRS-11 is on its way

SpaceX just launched CRS-11 on its way to the ISS and it looks to have
been a successful launch and a successful landing of the first stage at
LZ-1 (spot on the center of the pad).

Also, I believe that CRS-11 is reusing the Dragon from CRS-4 after some
refurbishment of course. As with the first refurbished first stage
reuse, it's unclear exactly what they replaced (besides the heat shield)
and how much it cost. But it's nice to see SpaceX at least trying to
reuse as much hardware as they can instead of throwing it away after one
flight.

Jeff

Old June 4th 17, 04:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Jeff Findley wrote:

SpaceX just launched CRS-11 on its way to the ISS and it looks to have
been a successful launch and a successful landing of the first stage at
LZ-1 (spot on the center of the pad).

Also, I believe that CRS-11 is reusing the Dragon from CRS-4 after some
refurbishment of course. As with the first refurbished first stage
reuse, it's unclear exactly what they replaced (besides the heat shield)
and how much it cost. But it's nice to see SpaceX at least trying to
reuse as much hardware as they can instead of throwing it away after one
flight.

Yep. This was a first time reuse of a previously flown Dragon.
Frankly, I'm surprised NASA let them do it and didn't insist on all
new equipment.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old June 4th 17, 11:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

In message
Jeff Findley wrote:

SpaceX just launched CRS-11 on its way to the ISS and it looks to have
been a successful launch and a successful landing of the first stage at
LZ-1 (spot on the center of the pad).

Also, I believe that CRS-11 is reusing the Dragon from CRS-4 after some
refurbishment of course.

About 20 minutes after launch, the Dragon, second stage and solar array
covers were naked eye visible passing over the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qw-w31TVAE

(Not my footage)

Anthony

Old June 5th 17, 01:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message

Jeff Findley wrote:

SpaceX just launched CRS-11 on its way to the ISS and it looks to have
been a successful launch and a successful landing of the first stage at
LZ-1 (spot on the center of the pad).

Also, I believe that CRS-11 is reusing the Dragon from CRS-4 after some
refurbishment of course. As with the first refurbished first stage
reuse, it's unclear exactly what they replaced (besides the heat shield)
and how much it cost. But it's nice to see SpaceX at least trying to
reuse as much hardware as they can instead of throwing it away after one
flight.

Yep. This was a first time reuse of a previously flown Dragon.
Frankly, I'm surprised NASA let them do it and didn't insist on all
new equipment.

As I recall the original contract for CRS restricted the use of anything
re-used.

That must have changed (and that's good).

I'm waiting for the first CRS with re-used Dragon AND 1st stage.

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/

Old June 5th 17, 09:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:

I'm waiting for the first CRS with re-used Dragon AND 1st stage.

Baby steps.... :-)

--George Bernard Shaw
Old June 5th 17, 11:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article om,
says...

On 2017-06-04 20:57, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

I'm waiting for the first CRS with re-used Dragon AND 1st stage.

I know it is easy to write NASA off as the guilty party, not wanting
re-used hardware and such.

BUT...

Letting NASA "insist" on paying for new stages leaves SpaceX with a
fleet of recovered stages it can re-use for free and thus undercut
everyone for commercial launches.

In essence, by not figting NASA's "must be new" requirement, SpaceX is
getting NASA to pay for a fleet of stage 1s that SpaceX then uses for
commercial launches.

Consider the economics when NASA has paid for the stage that you use for
multiple commecial launches while your competitor has to build and pay
for a new stage for every launch.

The bigger the fleet of brand spanking new Stage 1 that NASA is willing
to pay for, the bigger the fleet that SpaceX inherits for free to use
for commercial operations.

To be fair, SpaceX is launching a lot of non-NASA payloads these days.
With or without NASA, SpaceX is going to start reusing a lot of first
stages, especially when the Block 5 first stages start flying (hopefully
sometime this year). Block 5 reportedly includes changes to make the
first stage much easier to inspect and refly than the current Block 4
which includes inspection and some refurbishment/replacement of parts.

Jeff
Old June 5th 17, 11:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

In article om,
says...

On 2017-06-04 20:57, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

[...]

Article:

SpaceX Advances Space Hardware Reuse With Latest Flight
Jun 3, 2017 Mark Carreau - Aerospace Daily & Defense Report
http://aviationweek.com/space/spacex...ardware-reuse-
latest-flight

Jeff
Old June 5th 17, 10:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Dr J R Stockton[_198_]

In sci.space.policy message
web.com, Sun, 4 Jun 2017 01:42:27, JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination
..ca posted:

Of course, the propulsion module isn't recovered.

You mean "Falcon second stage". After separation from the Dragon, it
continued, to do its own thing; it may be still up there, for tests.

Conceptually, would it be possible to make the propulsion module
re-renter and be re-usable? (thinking a heat shield on its top (against
Dragon,s heat shield) so it would re-enter head first.

It is sufficiently conceptually possible, so that SpaceX are intending
to start attempting second stage recovery quite soon. As was done with
first stages, the plan is (I think) to attempt partial recoveries first
- i.e. don't provide a landing place until tests have demonstrated
coming down at the chosen place, the correct way up, and at near enough
zero velocity.

If you were to read a few reputable and relevant web sites (etc.), you
would not need to ask such questions.

In this case, search for falcon second stage recovery .

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Old June 6th 17, 09:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

On 2017-06-05 17:55, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

You mean "Falcon second stage". After separation from the Dragon, it
continued, to do its own thing; it may be still up there, for tests.

No, I meant the power/propulasion part of Dragon spacecraft. The thing
that fires the de-orbit and then separarte from Capsule. Capsule
survices, it burns up.

I don't think the part you're talking about actually exists. Doesn't
Dragon V1 use its OMS for reentry? There is a 'power trunk' that is
tossed.

Was wondering if making it survive re-entry and land might be possible.

I would guess anything is 'possible', but it would undoubtedly be
stupidly expensive and cost you trunk cargo space, so it makes no
sense to do it. Right now what you're throwing away is a couple of
solar panels and wiring, cargo racks, and some aluminum structure.
Making that stuff robust enough for reentry (including somehow
protecting the solar arrays after they've ejected their covers) would
probably cost more than building a hundred trunks of the current
design. You'd also need some way to guide it (it's the wrong shape),
heat shields, and parachutes to get it down.

There are no engines in there.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old June 7th 17, 11:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article om,
says...

On 2017-06-05 17:55, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

You mean "Falcon second stage". After separation from the Dragon, it
continued, to do its own thing; it may be still up there, for tests.

No, I meant the power/propulasion part of Dragon spacecraft. The thing
that fires the de-orbit and then separarte from Capsule. Capsule
survices, it burns up.

No, this is not correct. The Dragon "trunk" does not have any
propulsion systems. As many systems as possible are packed *inside* the
Dragon reentry capsule to be reused on subsequent flights, like this one
(CRS-11 is reusing the capsule from CRS-4).

That's why they called it a "trunk" since it's essentially an empty
shell that is there to hold unpressurized cargo (get the cute name?).
The one system that does "burn up" with the trunk are the solar arrays
since they are attached to the exterior of the "trunk".

Was wondering if making it survive re-entry and land might be
possible.

Very doubtful since once it's released from Dragon, it's just a big dumb
open ended aluminum can. I'm sure it tumbles enough on reentry that it
burns up completely.

Jeff