Russians screw up their Mars mission...AGAIN

Old November 10th 11, 10:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Dave U. Random

Default Russians screw up their Mars mission...AGAIN

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1111/08phobosgrunt/

What is it with these Ruskies? Phobos-Grunt was delayed for two years
because they couldn't finish it in time and now it still isn't working
properly! This is extremely embarrassing for Russia and Poetin and I'm
sure some of the scientists will be prosecuted as 'foreign agents with
the intent to cause embarrassment to Russia' or something to that
effect.

Old November 15th 11, 09:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Robert Clark

On Nov 10, 5:17*pm, Dave U. Random anonym...@anonymitaet-im-
inter.net wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1111/08phobosgrunt/

What is it with these Ruskies? Phobos-Grunt was delayed for two years
because they couldn't finish it in time and now it still isn't working
properly! This is extremely embarrassing for Russia and Poetin and I'm
sure some of the scientists will be prosecuted as 'foreign agents with
the intent to cause embarrassment to Russia' or something to that
effect.

Interesting suggestion in the comments section on that page:

Phobos-Grunt Mars probe remains silent in Earth orbit.
BY STEPHEN CLARK
SPACEFLIGHT NOW
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1111/11phobosgrunt/

The idea would be to use the X-37B currently in orbit to communicate
with the satellite. It certainly could at least photograph it.

Bob Clark
Old November 15th 11, 11:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Rick Jones

In sci.space.history Robert Clark wrote:
Interesting suggestion in the comments section on that page:

Phobos-Grunt Mars probe remains silent in Earth orbit.
BY STEPHEN CLARK
SPACEFLIGHT NOW
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1111/11phobosgrunt/

The idea would be to use the X-37B currently in orbit to
communicate with the satellite. It certainly could at least
photograph it.

Assuming of course that it (or perhaps TDRS) could speak the same
frequencies and the guvmint was confident it would not leak
information about the capabilities of our assets.

If done uninvited the Russians and the Chinese would probably have a
hissy fit - "Imperialist lacky dogs in the United States Military
bowed to the pressure of their CIA masters to attempt to steal Russian
and Chinese state property!" etc etc.

rick jones
--
web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...
Old November 16th 11, 01:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Bob Haller

On Nov 15, 6:54*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
[...]

well if this comes down in a populated area there will be endless
investigations, no launch should be allowed that a likely failure
prohibits communication, and all launches should be required to get
back telemetary during all modes of flight.....

idiots must of designed this
Old November 16th 11, 11:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
G=EMC^2[_2_]

On Nov 15, 8:44*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Russia going to Mars China building a base on Moon We can't even go
back up 200 miles. That tells me when America was taken over by the
Godfather(Mafia) we got grounded TtreBert
Old November 17th 11, 01:06 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Nov 16, 3:22*pm, "G=EMC^2" wrote:
[...]

Our government spent ten fold more our hard earned loot than we gave
them authority to do so.

They got us on average spending another $27.40/day, and that's an
extra $10,000 per year. Most of us couldn't honestly afford to spend
an extra $5/day to begin with, and nowadays some are having troubles
with spending an extra $2/day (myself included). I don't have any
spare $60/month to blow, though obviously they seem to think I have
$822 in spare loot every month.

http://translate.google.com/#
Old November 18th 11, 09:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
[email protected]

Busted Russian Mars probe could go to Moon instead:

"Lost Russian probe Phobos-Grunt could give up its trek to Mars and
instead head to the Moon if communication isn't established in the
next few days.

Space agency Roscosmos has given engineers until 21 November to
contact the spacecraft, which is somewhere in orbit around Earth,
because a flight to the Red Planet's moon Phobos will not be possible
after that date.

However, Russian space expert Igor Listov told state news agency RIA
Novosti that if boffins got in touch with the ship after that it would
still have enough fuel to make a trip to Earth's moon instead."

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11...nt_earth_moon/
Old November 19th 11, 01:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Bob Haller

On Nov 18, 11:04*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
bob haller wrote:

well if this comes down in a populated area there will be endless
investigations, no launch should be allowed that a likely failure
prohibits communication, and all launches should be required to get
back telemetary during all modes of flight.....

idiots must of designed this

Or an idiot is criticizing it. *You condition for allowing launch
would prohibit all launches forever.

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
* * live in the real world."

most launches are monitored in real time for telemetary and near every
launch vehicle can be communicated with even if the booster fails to
function.

proof of this is easy look at how many boosters have troubles but the
mission is still saved..

russia built a unique design, with zero telemetary during launch and
if the fuel tanks dont jettisone no communication either.
stupid design
Old November 19th 11, 06:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Bob Haller

... and near every
launch vehicle can be communicated with even if the booster fails to
function.

False. *Virtually no launch vehicle can be commanded to do anything
once it launches. *It's all preprogrammed. *PAYLOADS can usually be
communicated with after they deploy, but by the same sort of mechanism
as Phobos Grunt.

--
"Ignorance-

in the past boosters have failed to make all their burns, they are
sent new commands and heck one was even sent around the moon to get to
a usable orbit