Zubrin: Obama readies to blast NASA

Old October 27th 11, 08:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Hop

Default Zubrin: Obama readies to blast NASA

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...to-blast-nasa/

Sure hope Zubrin is wrong.
Old October 27th 11, 09:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia[_5_]

Le 27/10/11 21:25, Hop a écrit :
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...to-blast-nasa/

Sure hope Zubrin is wrong.

I do not think so.

This administration has other priorities for the money from U.S. taxpayers:

1) Spending money in War and destruction
2) Spending money in War and destruction gear
3) Spending money for banks bailouts

last:

Research, education, culture, the arts.

Old October 27th 11, 09:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

Sure hope Zubrin is wrong.

As a Senator, Obama wanted the NASA budget for inner city school unions. As
a president he named an administrator that has done essentially nothing to
promote space. His commission recomended new missons of no interest to
anyone. There could have been recommendations to get Constellation back on a
route to Mars program with the moon etc as development flights - not a whole
sale invasion of the overall lunar surface. This is no surprise. Even
letting the "doomed to early termination" Mars mission to fly, plays in to
his overall scheme. This mission will be an embarressment to NASA. And
where's the counter arguement - James Webb Telescope way over budget and
schedule, a hard to maintain space station that has yielded nothing much of
scientific value, plans for a new missionless heavy lift Pork Pie booster,
ridiculous announcements of Arsenic based life ...........

One of the strongest argyements for robot exploration was to prepare the way
for mankind to follow. Manned space is almost dead - now it's his time to
kill off the robots.

Val Kraut

Old October 27th 11, 11:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:25:29 -0700 (PDT), Hop
wrote:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...to-blast-nasa/

Sure hope Zubrin is wrong.

Well, kill off the Webb with its insatiable budget appetite, and that
will pay for all the other cuts.

No more Webbs and no more Curiosities. If you bust your budget by 50%,
you're canceled (Webb and Curiosity are in 300-400% overrun
territory). That's all the budget discipline we need. No more
rewarding incompetence or rewarding deliberate lowballing of costs.

Brian
Old October 28th 11, 12:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

wrote:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...eadies-to-blas...

Sure hope Zubrin is wrong.

Well, kill off the Webb with its insatiable budget appetite, and that
will pay for all the other cuts.

No more Webbs and no more Curiosities. If you bust your budget by 50%,
you're canceled (Webb and Curiosity are in 300-400% overrun
territory). That's all the budget discipline we need. No more
rewarding incompetence or rewarding deliberate lowballing of costs.

Brian

It seems cost overruns and delays are in the DNA of our NASA, DARPA
and JPL. If there's a more spendy and time consuming way of doing it,
that's probably the only way it's ever going to get done.

How about we get Mokaerospace (aka William Mook) for capturing this
one for us, before it eventually does harm than good?

Gravity is the overall big-picture problem for us, because as is more
people seem to die because of encountering or having to deal with
gravity related issues than anything else (Pandora has the right
amount of gravity, as in hardly any). Though locally there's not so
much gravity to fear as there could be actual shards of paramagnetic
basalt from our moon, plus whatever parts from the arriving asteroid
that’ll be attracted by the combined gravity of Earth and our moon.
Unfortunately, Earth will eventually get 2/3 of it (again due to
gravity, just like all them dinosaurs had to pay the ultimate price
due to gravity and that item or several which impacted Earth).

This asteroid (2005 YU55) is arriving too damn fast to get captured as
another moon or LEO item, but it’s certainly capable of demonstrating
a method of capture should it have a glancing lithobraking encounter
with our moon.

Perhaps our crack FEMA and NOAA are simply getting themselves prepared
for a seriously nasty big one (somewhat like our DoD and Pentagon were
off playing war games based upon a large commercial aircraft smacking
into tall buildings on the exact same day as such was actually
happening). Does anyone here believe in Karma?

This one is serious Warhol doom and gloom, and especially doom worthy
if this bad-boy trajectory should drift by any micro-fraction of a
degree and whack into our moon.
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/comet...et20110502.gif
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...asteroid-flyby
http://www.universetoday.com/85360/t...h-in-november/
Perhaps this November 9th asteroid (2005 YU55) as a 400 meter
diameter worth of unknown mass (being that it’s so spherical could
suggest a rather solid item of mostly nickel iron), passing through at
38 km/sec with its NEO distance of 324,600 km could conceivably manage
to hit our moon at 13 km/sec. Too bad the regular JPL asteroid NEO
simulator can’t muster up any specifics on how close it’ll get to our
physically dark and naked moon. It looks as though it’ll miss the
moon by roughly a little more than 0.5 LD as depicted in this
following link.
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/comet...et20110502.gif
No doubt we’ll see a little fine tuning with their graphic simulation
as it gets closer. A moon impact would not give us much time if some
of the secondary shards are coming our way at 10+ km/sec, and of
course there’s even a slight chance of a glancing blow whereas this
item mostly survives its lithobraking encounter and subsequently
becomes slowed down but otherwise more attracted to the Earth+moon
gravity well.

As far as anyone knows, this one has never gotten so close, so it’ll
be interesting to see how much revising of its NEO simulation takes
place, which should also tell us its mass.

http://translate.google.com/#

Old October 28th 11, 01:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 27, 12:25*pm, Hop wrote:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...eadies-to-blas...

Sure hope Zubrin is wrong.

Since our DARPA and NASA are kind of dysfunctional (preoccupied with
spewing hype and desperate fund raising in order to keep their lights
turned on), how about we get Mokaerospace (aka William Mook) for
capturing this one for us, before it eventually does us more harm than
good?

Gravity is the overall big-picture problem for us, because as is more
people seem to die because of encountering or having to deal with
gravity related issues than anything else (Pandora has the right
amount of gravity, as in hardly any). Though locally there's not so
much gravity to fear as there could be actual shards of paramagnetic
basalt from our moon, plus whatever parts from the arriving asteroid
that’ll be attracted by the combined gravity of Earth and our moon
(once again proving that gravity is lethal). Unfortunately, Earth
[...]

place, which should also tell us its mass. If the worse should
happen, it’ll put one hell of a dent in our moon, either increasing
its orbital velocity by a fraction of a percent and/or causing a
slight rotation. At 264 million tonnes impacting at 13 km/sec, what
could possibly go wrong?

http://translate.google.com/#
Old October 28th 11, 03:49 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...to-blast-nasa/

Sure hope Zubrin is wrong.

OMG... it's the END OF THE WORLD!

Accept... a) we've had slow downs before. Even if things are cut back, we'll
recover.
b) Congress is the one that actually writes and approves the budget. Port
is still strong. I can see cuts (heck, I could even favor some). But
doomsday, nah.

--
Greg D. Moore President Green Mountain Software
http://www.greenms.com

Old October 28th 11, 07:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

On Oct 27, 1:23*pm, jacob navia wrote:
Le 27/10/11 21:25, Hop a crit :

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...eadies-to-blas...

Sure hope Zubrin is wrong.

I do not think so.

This administration has other priorities for the money from U.S. taxpayers:

1) Spending money in War and destruction
2) Spending money in War and destruction gear
3) Spending money for banks bailouts

last:

Research, education, culture, the arts.

The next administration will likely have a faith based
space program based in the power of positive thinking
(no funding) no matter what the Obama crew does now.
A Perry Admin would likely cancel the EPA and NASA
and blamed bad weather on sinful ethnic or minority people.

Trig
Old October 28th 11, 03:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia[_5_]

Default Zubrin: Obama readies to blast NASA: a lie

Le 27/10/11 21:25, Hop a écrit :
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...to-blast-nasa/

Sure hope Zubrin is wrong.

Looking again at that newspaper (the washington times) I discover now
that I misidentified it with the Washington Post, a newspaper that has
similar front page font...

Looking at the content of this newspaper it is obvious that this is a
republican only newspaper, geared to the campaign against Obama.

Obviously there is nothing wrong with being anti-Obama, but this
newspaper is way too partisan to be taken seriously.

There isn't ANY other major newspaper that has taken Mr Zubrin
stand or given it credit, besides Slate...

More important, NASA officials have denied the rumours
started by Mr Zubrin:

http://www.space.com/13431-nasa-plan...ts-rumors.html

quote
Speaking at an Oct. 27 meeting of the NASA Advisory Council’s Planetary
Science subcommittee, Jim Green, director of NASA’s Planetary Science
division, took issue with an opinion piece claiming the agency was
gutting its robotic exploration program following a pair of upcoming
missions.

“It is not true the planetary program is being killed,” Green told
subcommittee members participating via telephone and Internet. He was
referring to an assertion by Robert Zubrin, an outspoken advocate of
Mars exploration, in an opinion piece published Oct. 26 by the
Washington Times.
end quote
Old October 29th 11, 01:31 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

"
More important, NASA officials have denied the rumours
started by Mr Zubrin:

Unfortunately this is the way most of my favorite Horror Movies start with
Government Officials denying that Giant Ants, Giant Spiders, or some other
monsters exist in the adjacent desert. As they're all laughing the subject
monsters destroy half the town. The NASA guys have to spout the party line
or be replaced by someone who will. You can't trust Washington!

Val Kraut