Student group wants to revive Gemini spacecraft design

Old August 13th 09, 03:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

Default Student group wants to revive Gemini spacecraft design

"M" wrote in message
All they need is the money to do it....

Seems to me a better clean sheet design could be made.

http://www.aio50.org/

Money is *always* what is holding back progress in human spaceflight.
What's your point again?

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old August 13th 09, 03:27 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

wrote in message
On Aug 13, 7:26 am, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Of course Soyuz has features that Gemini didn't, such as a crew of 3
(yes, I
know for a good portion of its history it was limited to 2) and a docking
mechanism that permits the crew to make a transfer to another craft w/o
spacesuits. Gemini didn't have that and any design that permits that
quickly becomes something other than Gemini.

So, no Soyuz isn't nearly as useless.

Perhaps Soyuz is the real answer, then. Placing it in production in
the USA, perhaps.

Won't happen.

Jeff

Old August 14th 09, 08:11 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

This always struck me as a great paper design. How well it would have
worked in practice, who knows.

It certainly would have been challenging in the crew escape during a
launch abort situation.

Pat
Old August 14th 09, 04:50 PM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

M wrote:

All they need is the money to do it....

Seems to me a better clean sheet design could be made.

http://www.aio50.org/

Forward to the 50's! The 1950's that is.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old August 14th 09, 09:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 02:11:02 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

It certainly would have been challenging in the crew escape during a
launch abort situation.

"It would have been one hell of a headache, but it would have been a
short one!"

It appears to been intended to use a combo of a large escape tower and
two big hatches for the passenger ejection seats:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/bigemini.htm
As to how all the rocket exhaust from the passenger ejection seats was
to be handled is a good question; there's some info on the Gemini seats
he http://www.ejectionsite.com/gemini.htm
Fire that many people out at once and there's bound to be the threat of
a midair collision or parachute tangling; fire them in a staggered order
and the last guys out are going to get fried from the exhaust of the
first guys out seats.

Pat
Old August 14th 09, 10:26 PM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

OM wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:15:53 -0700 (PDT), M
wrote:

Seems to me a better clean sheet design could be made.

...Actually, Gemini is one of those designs that if McNamara hadn't
been such a spoogesponge and let the Air Farce have their MOL and Blue
Gemini, would most likely still be flying today, although most likely
updated to glass cockpits by now.

Yep, the craft that never fly never get a chance to disappoint.

D.

Old August 14th 09, 10:28 PM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

" wrote:

On Aug 12, 3:44 pm, OM wrote:

...Actually, Gemini is one of those designs that if McNamara hadn't
been such a spoogesponge and let the Air Farce have their MOL and Blue
Gemini, would most likely still be flying today, although most likely
updated to glass cockpits by now. The base design is pretty damn
efficient for two people, and fulfilled its mission design more than
satisfactorily.

Didn't McNamara at least admit many of his sins?

He pretty much confessed to all of 'em. There is a small number of
people whose masturbatory fantasies he cancelled because they made no
sense in the real world, and they still hold it against him.

D.

Old August 15th 09, 04:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

M wrote:
All they need is the money to do it....

And all my grandmother needs is wheels, and she'd be a wagon...
Old August 15th 09, 04:38 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_148_]

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
M wrote:
All they need is the money to do it....

And all my grandmother needs is wheels, and she'd be a wagon...

Come, come Mr. Scott. Young minds, fresh ideas.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old August 15th 09, 06:47 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:
He pretty much confessed to all of 'em. There is a small number of
people whose masturbatory fantasies he cancelled because they made no
sense in the real world, and they still hold it against him.

Somehow "Okay, I was wrong..." doesn't quite cover Vietnam though, does it?
In Japan the immediate follow-up to such a admission would involve
wrapping a Tanto knife in rice paper, and drawing a dotted line across
your belly with a Magic Marker, as well it should.
It's a pity that Dick Cheney also doesn't understand the concept of
"personal honor" either.

Pat