McDonnell Douglas GRM-29A

Old July 16th 03, 05:47 AM
Scott Lowther

Default McDonnell Douglas GRM-29A

The next issue of Aerospace Projects Review (due to go to the printer in
a day or two) has an article on the McD Global Range Mach 29 Aerospace
Plane. This was a 1980's single stage to orbit lifting body, but with a
rather goofy engine arrangement... three SSME's in the tail, one in the
*nose*. It took off like a Harrier in a horizontal attitude, but
straight up.

The data available on it is a bit sketchy, but what I've got is in here.
it's an interesting design. A view of the whole issue is online at:

http://up-ship.com/apr/images/v5n2all.jpg

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer

"Any statement by Edward Wright that starts with 'You seem to think
that...' is wrong. Always. It's a law of Usenet, like Godwin's."
- Jorge R. Frank, 11 Nov 2002
Old July 16th 03, 01:46 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Scott Lowther wrote:
...This was a 1980's single stage to orbit lifting body, but with a
rather goofy engine arrangement... three SSME's in the tail, one in the
*nose*. It took off like a Harrier in a horizontal attitude, but
straight up.

When the spec is adamant about "horizontal takeoff", but the engineering
clearly says you should take off vertically, people do what they can...
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |
Old July 16th 03, 04:02 PM
Len

Scott Lowther wrote in message ...
The next issue of Aerospace Projects Review (due to go to the printer in
a day or two) has an article on the McD Global Range Mach 29 Aerospace
Plane. This was a 1980's single stage to orbit lifting body, but with a
rather goofy engine arrangement... three SSME's in the tail, one in the
*nose*. It took off like a Harrier in a horizontal attitude, but
straight up.

The data available on it is a bit sketchy, but what I've got is in here.
it's an interesting design. A view of the whole issue is online at:

http://up-ship.com/apr/images/v5n2all.jpg

I was rather surprised to see this in print, Scott,
since it was rather closely held for a long time.
I did the original concept design for this configuration
--and all of the competing configurations by the other
companies--while a consultant at ANSER. The engine
arrangement is a little different from what you mention,
but I do not feel free to say more.

The overall project was derailed by false NASP promises
--not by technical barriers.

Best regards,
Len (Cormier)
PanAero, Inc. and Third Millennium Aerospace, Inc.
( http://www.tour2space.com )
Old July 17th 03, 06:32 AM
Len

(Scott Lowther) wrote in message . com...
(Len) wrote in message . com...

I was rather surprised to see this in print, Scott,
since it was rather closely held for a long time.

A non-classified (or at least, a document that was not labelled as
classified) review of the GRM-29A was forwarded to me by Jess Sponable
back in '98 or '99. If it's still classified... well... all I can say
is that I got it through a public source and it's not labeled as
classified. The Boeing RASV design was in the same review, and it's
pretty declassified.

Oh, I wasn't challenging anything--just that I have not
kept up to date on the status.

I did the original concept design for this configuration
--and all of the competing configurations by the other
companies--while a consultant at ANSER. The engine
arrangement is a little different from what you mention,
but I do not feel free to say more.

Might be a different version (the drawing sdo show two slightly
different wing/body arrangements). The version desribed has three
SSME's in the tail, two with extendable cones for high altitude, and a
further SSME in the nose. All engines could pivot through at least 90
degrees.

The overall project was derailed by false NASP promises
--not by technical barriers.

My own view is that the added mass of the pivots, along with an SSME
that's only used for 50 or so seconds, did not scream "SSTO mass
fraction." But I don't have the detailed design data, so there ya go.

There were earlier versions that did not have some of
the problems that you mention. Again, I do not feel
free to say more.

Best regards,
Len