NASA's biggest worry right now: What if something goes wrong with the Webb telescope?

Old February 22nd 18, 11:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Default NASA's biggest worry right now: What if something goes wrong with the Webb telescope?

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:24:12 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 12:06:58 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:

A pleasant cycle ride with all the known health and economic

benefits in some countries.

In the event of hills, an electrically assisted cycle might be an

option.
At least until you become reasonably fit.

Your mileage may vary.

Ride a bicycle to work?

I know you are not the only person to suggest this, but my

immediate reaction
is: are you kidding?

There are two kinds of work. One is physical labor, in which case

tiring oneself
out by the physical exertion of riding a bicycle to it is not a

good idea. The
other is office work. In general, offices don't include showers and

changing
facilities, so one is not advised to work up a sweat by the process

of getting
to work.

In any case, this is all very well, but when it is raining, windy,

or the
temperature is well below freezing, again, riding a bicycle is an

unattractive
choice.

In any case, this is retrogression. The correct movement away from

the cars of
today is towards flying cars, not towards bicycles. That is

progress!

Ever heard about the electric bicycle?

Regarding bicycling in cold weather: physical exercise keeps you
warm.
Old February 23rd 18, 12:45 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 4:14:35 PM UTC-7, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:

Quaddie lives in Canda. Ever hear of winter? Snow?

Not only do I live in Canada, but I live in Edmonton, Alberta, which, like
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, is one of its more northerly major cities. We routinely
get temperatures of -25 degrees Fahrenheit (-32 degrees Celsius) for at least one
or two days every second winter.

Although I don't think it has to be _that_ cold for bicycling any extended
distance to be only for the exceptionally courageous.

John Savard
Old February 23rd 18, 12:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Paul Schlyter:
Then why not have 220V in all outlets, like we have?

Davoud:
U.S. homes have 240V at the distribution panel, 120V at *most*
receptacles. I have several 240V receptacles for special purposes.

The reason is that we've always done it that way. We began doing it that
way because in the 19th and early 20th centuries bare wires were strung
between insulator posts; reliable insulation was not available. A shock
from 120V was deemed less likely to be fatal than one from 240V. With
most U.S. household appliances being built for 120V, it would be
cumbersome and expensive to switch to 240V at the receptacles, and
there is no sound reason to do so.

Paul Schlyter:
Having two different voltages in every household is
unnecessarily complex...

You are mistaken in that. Virtually every U.S. home has both 120 and
240V receptacles and I would almost bet that most homeowners don't even
know that; it's just what is. It doesn't require machinations or
special on the part of a homeowner.

...so why didn't the whole
world go for 110-120V in household voltage? Why did most of the world
go for 220V (raised to 230V some decades ago) in the households?

Dunno. Maybe it's because we invented electricity and the rest of the
world got it as a hand-me-down :-)

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old February 23rd 18, 12:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Quadibloc wrote in
:

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 4:14:35 PM UTC-7, Jibini Kula
Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:

Quaddie lives in Canda. Ever hear of winter? Snow?

Not only do I live in Canada, but I live in Edmonton, Alberta,
which, like Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, is one of its more
northerly major cities. We routinely get temperatures of -25
degrees Fahrenheit (-32 degrees Celsius) for at least one or two
days every second winter.

Like Nebraska, only midler. (Do you get 100 degree F in the summer,
too?)

Although I don't think it has to be _that_ cold for bicycling
any extended distance to be only for the exceptionally
courageous.

There comes a point where you have to worry about frostbite. Noses
and lips aren't easily replaceable.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old February 23rd 18, 01:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
hleopold

On Feb 22, 2018, Paul Schlyter wrote
(in et):

wrote:
[...]

When I first got out of the Navy I lived in Oakland, CA, just south of Lake
Merritt, I worked in downtown Berkeley just about 6 miles away. At the time I
did not have a car so I either rode a bicycle, took the bus or took the BART.
If I took BART I also had to take a bus first to get to the BART station.
Taking the bus and/or BART took me close to an hour, riding the bike took me
28 minutes unless it was raining then it took me 25. I guess I was faster in
the rain. I kept a change of clothes at work plus a clean towel. I rode
almost every day, I did not have a problem with sweat even in the summer, I
did not push it that hard. Heck, it took me longer to drive there than to
bike, plus no hunting around to find a parking spot.

Later I moved to Missouri and still rode a bike to get to work, the ride was
shorter, but northern Missouri actually does have real weather. I personally
hate cold weather and snow and ice are not fun to ride in, but it was much
cheaper to ride than to buy a car at that time plus I actually enjoy riding a
bike, I should get one again now that I am retired.

The weather is also pretty much the same in NE Kansas where I now live, and I
rode a bike here for years as well.

I rode pretty much every day for 35 years even when I owned and drove a car.
It was, most times, a faster, easier way to get to work, it certainly woke me
up and got the blood flowing. I even got to work faster than my boss after an
ice storm, though I did have to do part of it using the bike as a walker it
was so slick though part of town.

A bike is good exercise, can be a lot of fun and sure makes it easier to find
a parking spot. It was also rather handy while I was in the Navy, even on
shipboard. Carry it on or off the ship, go just about anywhere. At sea I had
a set of rollers so could even ride while at sea. Much safer than dodging
planes on the flight deck or hanger bay trying to jog. I kept the bike and
rollers in one of our equipment spaces, pull them out, turn on the music and
a book and put in an hour or two. Pull into a port and off you go.

I never rode an electric bike, but I did once have the loan of a early 40’s
bike with an equally old gas engine, I think it had something like the power
of 25 enraged chickens. It was actually a lot of fun to ride for the week I
had it. It belonged to my landlord at the time, he wanted me to fix it up for
him and to test it out. I did and it was fun.

--
Harry F. Leopold
The Prints of Darkness (remove gene to email)

Old February 23rd 18, 03:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 10:17:04 AM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 07:58:22 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 9:54:26 AM UTC-7, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:

That's what required if you want to transfer energy into an electric
car as fast as a gasoline pump can.

It's possible that the rate at which a gasoline pump transfers energy is not the
minimum rate of energy transfer that is necessary. If one could put the
electrical equivalent of a full tank of gas into an electric car in, say, half
an hour, that might be workable.

And in the vast majority of cases, there is no need to "fill the
tank". The way battery charging works, you can add a large charge in a
short time, just not a full charge. There are already high capacity
battery systems like those used for cars which can receive a 30%
charge in just a few minutes. That is probably sufficient for the
majority of users the majority of the time.

Of course, that means a need for many more chargers than there are gas pumps.

But chargers are a considerably more straightforward technology to
provide. No massive holes with tanks, minimal environmental concerns,
not need for a separate liquid delivery infrastructure for support.

For those who wish to learn more about electric cars, how to use them effectively, how to charge them, and other interesting facts, here are 4 short videos (won't take much of your time):
https://insideevs.com/guide-to-elect...harged-videos/

Razzy
Old February 23rd 18, 04:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

No, summer is mild, we seldom go above 80 degrees F.
Old February 23rd 18, 07:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 22 February 2018 20:24:15 UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:

[...]

Cycling at down to -10C, 15F, is easily doable. I'm shocked to hear that US office bathrooms have no shower facilities. It must be amazingly stinky on a warm day after all the "workers" climb out of their sweltering cars after sitting in a grid lock for hours.

It may surprise you that dressing properly, in proper cycling clothing, raises NO sweat even at 'adventurous' levels of riding speeds. Cycling commuters quickly learn to ride at a steady speed which avoids overheating. Only an idiot would wear the wrong clothes and trap their own moisture in their underwear. Layered, windproof clothing, without intrinsic warmth, on a sliding scale to match the air temperature and wind speed, is the key.

There should be global demand for the absolute right of home owners to shoot down trespassing flying cars. What right have they to overfly private rural properties with all the attendant noise and risks? A single plane or helicopter carrying only one passenger is a noise trespasser beyond belief! Their freedom to avoid traffic with their utterly selfish behaviour affects tens of thousands. Or many more if they cross towns and villages. Flying cars really would be a dystopian future beyond belief!
Old February 23rd 18, 11:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

"Chris.B" wrote in
:

[...]

There's this really amazing inventioned called "air conditioning."
It's been improved to the point they can actually fit it into
*cars*! You see, what it does is, it takes hot air and makes it
colder. It's really quite the rage. It's only been around a hundred
years or so, so obviously it's understandable that you haven't ever
heard of it.

It may surprise you that dressing properly, in proper cycling
clothing, raises NO sweat even at 'adventurous' levels of riding
speeds.

Yeah, that would surprise me. Since it's not true.

There should be global demand for the absolute right of home
owners to shoot down trespassing flying cars.

And be charged with premediated murder for any neighbors who die in
the crash?

What right have
they to overfly private rural properties with all the attendant
noise and risks?

They don't, retard. There are minimum altitudes for various types
of aircraft, including private planes, for safety and noise
reasons.

This is one of many reasons why "flying cars" will never be common.

Here's a hint for those who aren't as ****ing *stupid* as Chris,
he We've had flying cars for a hundred years and more. They're
called "airplanes" by people who aren't running stock scams. There
are even designs going back that far for convertable car/plane
combos, some of which ahve gotten to the point of being approved
for sale to the public. But airplanes are expensive to buy, and
mroe expensive to maintain (and it's illegal to fly them without
complete documentation on the maintenance), so they've never been
more than toys for the rich. This will never change.

Dumbass.

Old February 23rd 18, 11:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Quadibloc wrote in news:f257d1f7-539e-415b-9feb-
:

No, summer is mild, we seldom go above 80 degrees F.

Paradise, it is.

****ing California was down into the 40s this morning. What is this
****? It doesn't get this cold here. That global warming is gonna
kill us all!