Clay Anderson moved to "management astronaut"

Old November 16th 11, 01:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

Default Clay Anderson moved to "management astronaut"

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...058/Astronaut-
confident-NASA-will-rebound-from-limbo-

From above:

"They told me I was too candid and blunt with Mission
Control and others, and that my skill set did not match
long-term space missions," Anderson said.
"I've been taken off active status," said Anderson, an
Omaha native who considers Ashland, Neb., his hometown.
"I've been made a management astronaut," supporting
other astronauts' missions, he said.

This is the type of internal politics that plagues the astronaut office.
How can astronauts give honest input on serious issues when the
consequences may be the end of your career as an active astronaut? Who
would want to push pencils after logging 167 days in space and logging
38 hours on six spacewalks?

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old November 16th 11, 03:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Jeff Findley wrote:
Who
would want to push pencils after logging 167 days in space and logging
38 hours on six spacewalks?

Jeff

I hear SpaceX is hiring as is Virgin Galactic...

Dave
Old November 16th 11, 11:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Glen Overby[_1_]

Jeff Findley wrote:
Who
would want to push pencils after logging 167 days in space and logging
38 hours on six spacewalks?

There is a long list of management astronauts. Some may be happy being a
management astronaut as a post-astronaut career. It probably depends on how
the transition occurred; in this case it seems like it was a demotion to the
resume writing department.

I've noticed Shannon Lucid on console many times and her bio on NASA's web
site says she holds the NASA record for the longest spaceflight. I've always
wondered if NASA would fly her again. When reading Mulane's bio about leaving
the astronaut corps, I often wondered why he didn't stay, but take himself off
of flight status.

Glen