Forget SETI look for time travellers?

Old November 1st 06, 11:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B

Default Forget SETI look for time travellers?

Humour me if you have it in your capacity.

Nobody has ever shown the concrete existence of UFOs, aliens or their
artifacts. Yet too many have seen supposedly non-human, flying objects
to easily dismiss them out of hand.

Years have passed without a single example of an alien "Neighbours"
being detected by SETI. This despite the potentially vast number of
potentially habitable worlds orbiting stars near and far.

It could be argued that no alien would dare set foot on our virus and
bacteria riddled world without great risk to us or themselves. Even a
remote risk of crashing might wipe out all life on our planet with a
deadly virus for which we have developed no immunity.

Much the same could be said for time travellers. Though their absence
could be because there is literally nobody with a technological
capability in our future. Or time travel really is impossible.

Fuzzy logic suggests that time travel is absolutely necessary to
truncate journey time between bodies in space even in the local area.

No time travel = no space travel seems too harsh a sentence on an
aggressive species like ourselves looking for further victims to
exploit. Can so many science fiction authors be so wrong?

So to the crux of the matter: Might there be some form of unique
radiation caused only by time travel or spacially static, time-shifted
objects which might just be detectable by us? It may be they cannot
come to us in person but they can send the means to observe us from
time-related afar.

Answers on a stamped, addressed and time-shifted postcard please, to:

Old November 2nd 06, 12:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley

Chris.B wrote:
[...]

Shear numbers, hmmm... There are an awful lot of people who believe
in thing like:

o angles
o ghosts
o peoples lives being influenced by what planets were visible in
what constellations at the time and place they were born

"The most common of all follies," wrote H. L. Mencken, "is to believe
passionately in the palpably not true."

Old November 2nd 06, 01:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Iordani

Chris.B wrote:

Answers on a stamped, addressed and time-shifted postcard please, to:

What was the question?
Old November 2nd 06, 01:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_1_]

Iordani wrote:
Answers on a stamped, addressed and time-shifted postcard please, to:

What was the question?

Ohhhhhh, I'm sorry, that is incorrect. And you wagered...all of it.
No, the correct question was, "What was inscrutable?"

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html
Old November 2nd 06, 01:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Alan French

"Sam Wormley" wrote in message

Shear numbers, hmmm... There are an awful lot of people who believe
in thing like:

o angles

[SNIP]
I knew there was something wrong with my geometry teacher! Leading me down
the path of pseudoscience.

Clear skies, Alan

Old November 2nd 06, 01:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Moe M. Down

Answers on a stamped, addressed and time-shifted postcard please, to:

Shear numbers, hmmm... There are an awful lot of people who believe
in thing like:

o angles
o ghosts
o peoples lives being influenced by what planets were visible in
what constellations at the time and place they were born

Ya I believe in angles..LOL. So did Euclid.

Old November 2nd 06, 06:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris.B wrote:

Humour me if you have it in your capacity.

I'll do my best.

Nobody has ever shown the concrete existence of UFOs, aliens or their
artifacts. Yet too many have seen supposedly non-human, flying objects
to easily dismiss them out of hand.

Bzzzzzzt!! Wrong. Should read "Nobody has ever presented even one tiny
shred of evidence concerning the existence of UFO's... therefore such
claims are to be dismissed out of hand /unless/ evidence is provided."

Years have passed without a single example of an alien "Neighbours"
being detected by SETI. This despite the potentially vast number of
potentially habitable worlds orbiting stars near and far.

OK. But of the extra-solar planets discovered to date, not one could be
inhabited by humans. Probably not by anything, in fact.

It could be argued that no alien would dare set foot on our virus and
bacteria riddled world without great risk to us or themselves. Even a
remote risk of crashing might wipe out all life on our planet with a
deadly virus for which we have developed no immunity.

?Non sequitur? You think that's why SETI has not detected an alien
civilization?? I think it's because there are no alien civilizations
near enough to be detected, or possibly because there aren't any alien
civilizations.

Much the same could be said for time travellers. Though their absence
could be because there is literally nobody with a technological
capability in our future. Or time travel really is impossible.

Einstein postulated that it is possible to travel into the future, and
that possibility has since been demonstrated concretely. But one almost
certainly can't travel back in time. As Hawking said, "Time travel
might be possible, but if that is the case why haven't we been overrun
by tourists from the future?"
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2612time.html

Fuzzy logic suggests that time travel is absolutely necessary to
truncate journey time between bodies in space even in the local area.

Fuzzy? Hairy? Hair ball? Odd ball?

No time travel = no space travel seems too harsh a sentence on an
aggressive species like ourselves looking for further victims to
exploit.

I can live with that.

Can so many science fiction authors be so wrong?

They're not /wrong/ . They're writing science /fiction/ .

So to the crux of the matter: Might there be some form of unique
radiation caused only by time travel or spacially static, time-shifted
objects which might just be detectable by us? It may be they cannot
come to us in person but they can send the means to observe us from
time-related afar.

No.

Answers on a stamped, addressed and time-shifted postcard please, to:

That would be neat. I could mail it 100 years ago and save a few
pennies on postage. While I was back there I could invest in a few
select companies. And hunt down young Hitler and kill him.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Old November 2nd 06, 07:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
JpRw

Sam Wormley wrote:

Chris.B wrote:
[...]

Mencken also said: "At his best, Mankind is only superficially rational."

Old November 2nd 06, 07:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
JpRw

"Chris.B" wrote:

So to the crux of the matter: Might there be some form of unique
radiation caused only by time travel or spacially static, time-shifted
objects which might just be detectable by us? It may be they cannot
come to us in person but they can send the means to observe us from
time-related afar.

you will note, nobody touched this with a ten foot pole -