New Apollo landing site photos

Old September 10th 11, 11:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Invid Fan[_2_]

Default New Apollo landing site photos

In article
tatelephone, Pat
Flannery wrote:

On 9/7/2011 7:16 PM, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

The Vargas girls were obviously aliens -- silicon-based life forms. ;)

A feminist friend of mine pointed out a key fact about his artwork; they
may all have different faces, but the bodies are all exactly the same,
like so many versions of Barbie dolls with new heads on the same figure
to save production costs.

Which just means he just had one female model who came over to pose for
each pic.

--
Chris Mack "If we show any weakness, the monsters will get cocky!"
'Invid Fan' - 'Yokai Monsters Along With Ghosts'
Old September 11th 11, 01:49 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

On 09/10/2011 05:31 PM, Invid Fan wrote:
In article
tatelephone, Pat
wrote:

On 9/7/2011 7:16 PM, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

The Vargas girls were obviously aliens -- silicon-based life forms. ;)

A feminist friend of mine pointed out a key fact about his artwork; they
may all have different faces, but the bodies are all exactly the same,
like so many versions of Barbie dolls with new heads on the same figure
to save production costs.

Which just means he just had one female model who came over to pose for
each pic.

Same with Boris Vallejo. His wife is his main model when drawing females.
Old September 11th 11, 03:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 9/10/2011 2:31 PM, Invid Fan wrote:

Which just means he just had one female model who came over to pose for
each pic.

Nah, they got so similar and actually unrealistic that it looked like he
was basing them on a Barbie Doll or something rather than using a live
model.
I've got a book of Gil Elvgren's pin-up artwork, which has the photos of
the models he used for the paintings in it.
His technique was to photograph the model in the pose he wanted, and
work from that photo rather than having her actually sit for him. This
worked great, as he could take dozens of photos of each one, then pick
the one he liked best. The models could do a pose of only a second or
so, rather than trying to hold it for hours.
Many people are going to be appalled to find this out, but a lot of
Chesley Bonestell's planetary surface landscapes (the Moon ones in
particular) were done by making a plaster model of the landscape,
photographing it under harsh single-source lighting to get sharp
shadows, and, are you ready for this? Then blowing up the photo to large
size and painting directly over it, like a paint-by-numbers project.
When you think about space painting, it's not that challenging. All
objects are either spheres, irregular objects that can be modeled and
photographed as above, or clouds of gas. Figuring out the lighting on a
sphere is easy, and nebula so diffuse that no one will know if they look
right or not.
Certainly, he never did a nebula painting half as spectacular as the
Hubble photos of them.

Pat

Old September 11th 11, 04:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Harold Groot

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:51:53 -0800, Pat Flannery
wrote:

1.) What's the blue star

do-WAH!!!

(sorry, had a Galaxina moment there...g)

Old September 11th 11, 05:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 9/10/2011 4:49 PM, Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Which just means he just had one female model who came over to pose for
each pic.

Same with Boris Vallejo. His wife is his main model when drawing females.

Pin-up artist Olivia has a group of models she uses regularly, which is
fun, as once you know who they are, they are recognizable in her paintings.
One of them is the tall Julie Strain, who has one of the cleverest
catch lines I've ever heard... "6 foot 1 and Worth The Climb". :-D
Although Varga's art was far more commercial than artistic, especially
in his post-Esquire days, he actually did a painting once that was a
very stylish piece of art in its own right:
http://p2.la-img.com/546/23954/8694147_1_l.jpg
That's top-notch Art Deco style artwork.
Let's see Chesley Bonestell doing something commercial:
http://www.plan59.com/av/av042.htm
....not only are we going to collide with the Andromeda Galaxy in the
future, but I take it Galactus is going to hurl a 500 light-year-tall
leakproof "C" cell at us for screwing with the Silver Surfer's mind.
Three questions about that painting:
1.) What's the blue star or planet to the upper left, that's painted
differently from all the other stars?
2.) When does that new age of severe vulcanism start?
3.) Why go hunting for uranium in the middle of the night? Are they keen
on stumbling upon rattlesnakes and scorpions unexpectedly?
My theory is that by then radiation poisoning from WW XII has mutated
humanity into vampires, who have nothing to fear from venomous desert
wildlife, although the bite of the radiation mutated garlic-eating Gila
Monster could prove fatal

Pat
Old September 11th 11, 08:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

wrote:

1.) What's the blue star

do-WAH!!!

(sorry, had a Galaxina moment there...g)

Boy, that's some obscure trivia. :-)
I actually saw that movie, although "Flesh Gordon" was more fun.
As a guess, I'd think it's supposed to be the planet Venus.
It's odd though, in that the cross-shaped ring around it is only an
artifact of when you photograph a star through a Newtonian reflector
telescope, caused by the four arms of forward mirror support.
But to hell with Dorothy Stratten and her weird husband and fate, here's
Jane Fonda showing how a space woman should dress:
http://goremasternews.files.wordpres...pg?w=466&h=416
God-damn... I mean, GOD-DAMN!
I actually almost ran into her once, when her and Ted Turner came into
our airport to have a meeting about bison meat production*.
I was so keen to tell her what my older brother, the Vietnam vet,
thought of her. He would have killed her on sight, as would I... by
screwing her to death. :-D

* Ted found out what "Being Buffaloed" meant after giving one billion
dollars to the UN on her advice.

Pat

Old September 11th 11, 10:49 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Anthony Frost

In message tatelephone
Pat Flannery wrote:

1.) What's the blue star or planet to the upper left, that's painted
differently from all the other stars?

The hub of a rotating space station? Four spokes and the habitat ring
around them maybe...

Anthony

Old September 11th 11, 05:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
GordonD

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...

Let's see Chesley Bonestell doing something commercial:
http://www.plan59.com/av/av042.htm
...not only are we going to collide with the Andromeda Galaxy in the
future, but I take it Galactus is going to hurl a 500 light-year-tall
leakproof "C" cell at us for screwing with the Silver Surfer's mind.
Three questions about that painting:
1.) What's the blue star or planet to the upper left, that's painted
differently from all the other stars?

The Ringworld.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Old September 12th 11, 05:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

Pat Flannery wrote:

Let's see Chesley Bonestell doing something commercial:
http://www.plan59.com/av/av042.htm
1.) What's the blue star or planet to the upper left, that's painted
differently from all the other stars?

It does rather depend on if he's religious or not.

3.) Why go hunting for uranium in the middle of the night? Are they keen
on stumbling upon rattlesnakes and scorpions unexpectedly?

Rattlesnakes aren't radioactive. Uranium is. The batteries would be
for the Geiger counters. I figure it's a romantic notion that uranium
prospectors went around waving Geiger counters at rocks because they had
now idea what pitchblend granite looks like.
Old September 12th 11, 10:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Sep 10, 7:29*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 9/10/2011 2:31 PM, Invid Fan wrote:

Which just means he just had one female model who came over to pose for
each pic.

Nah, they got so similar and actually unrealistic that it looked like he
was basing them on a Barbie Doll or something rather than using a live
model.

A lot of Vargas' Playboy girls were reworks of previous art with
updated clothing or hairstyles added. The humorous captions were
apparently added to the artwork after it was received by Hef's people.

Vargas does remain one of my favorite girly artists (at least
American- I've developed a real appreciation of Japanese ecchi art),
probably because of those humorous captions. The guy that they got to
replace him didn't last very long, unfortunately.

I've got a book of Gil Elvgren's pin-up artwork, which has the photos of
the models he used for the paintings in it.
His technique was to photograph the model in the pose he wanted, and
work from that photo rather than having her actually sit for him. This
worked great, as he could take dozens of photos of each one, then pick
the one he liked best. The models could do a pose of only a second or
so, rather than trying to hold it for hours.

Elvgren's one of my favorite of the pin-up artists: I've got his 2011
calendar up on the wall next to my computer at home. (Miss August was
one of my favorites!)

Another excellent artist was Bill Ward, who did some great work during
the 40s and early 50s, but by the mid-50s went more for the cartoony
look to the end of his career. He got more sexually explicict than
most of the others, catering heavily to the bondage fetish eventually.

Two more great girly artists should be mentioned because they are not
usually thought of as such nowadays: Wally Wood and Jack Cole, the
creator of Plastic Man.