Tardigradas could colonize and terraform Mars

Old November 29th 10, 05:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

Default Tardigradas could colonize and terraform Mars

On 29/11/2010 3:32 AM, Kulin Remailer wrote:
http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...digrada-63181/

The Tardigrada, a small creature which feast on moss, is the best
candidate to survive on the planet Mars. It can survive extreme
temperatures (down to almost absolute zero!!) and is resistant to UV
and radiation.

I call on wealthy individuals like Marc Shuttleworth and Elon Musk to
terraform Venus and Mars using Tardigrada and several other lychens and
bacteria. This could be done for relatively little money, no more than
hundred millon dollars. A small reentry vehicle which disperses
bacteria, lychens and Tardigrada from the upper atmosphere on down
would surely do the trick.

To what end?

Sylvia.
Old November 29th 10, 05:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Tardiness could colonize and terraform Mars

On 11/28/2010 8:32 AM, Kulin Remailer wrote:

I call on wealthy individuals like Marc Shuttleworth and Elon Musk to
terraform Venus and Mars using Tardigrada and several other lychens and
bacteria. This could be done for relatively little money, no more than
hundred millon dollars.

I call on them to send me a hundred million dollars so I can figure out
a way to get Angelina Jolie out of Brad Pitt's bed and into mine.
Maybe those tard-things could be mutated into something that would make
his dick fall off.
All's fair in love and war, and that would simply be biological
lovefare. :-)
Seriously, it would be fun to see what would happen if you were to take
some of those sulfur-eating bacteria from the mid-Atlantic ridge and
drop them into the Venusian atmosphere...not only would they be used to
the temperatures, but the pressures as well.

Pat

Old November 29th 10, 07:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 11/28/2010 9:28 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:

Seriously, it would be fun to see what would happen if you were to take
some of those sulfur-eating bacteria from the mid-Atlantic ridge and
drop them into the Venusian atmosphere...not only would they be used to
the temperatures, but the pressures as well.

As a follow-up to that, don't the Tardigrada breathe in oxygen and
exhale CO2? That is exactly the reverse of what you would want to
terraform a place, particularly Mars.
Plants, not animals, are the key.
Now, a photo of Angelina Jolie showing just how sexy a woman can look in
a eyepatch and bubble pressure helmet:
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/i...916__sky_l.jpg

Pat
Old November 29th 10, 06:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Nov 28, 2:40*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
" wrote:

wouldnt it be sad to kill the first lifeform from another planet?

No, it wouldn't. *Why do you think it would?

Of course it would be. We could learn from it if it is still alive for
us to study. A whole new world of biology would be available, offering
immense new vistas of scientific knowledge.

John Savard
Old November 29th 10, 07:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Nov 28, 10:28*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

To what end?

I agree that it's a stupid idea. Any existing life forms on Mars would
provide scientific knowledge far more valuable than Mars' value as
real estate. Although I still think life, while possible, is unlikely
on Mars.

But there is certainly a purpose in terraforming Mars. Earth is
getting overcrowded. Soon, there will be no space on Earth where
people will be able to breathe free. (Why, the Senate is even likely
to ratify the UN Small Arms treaty!)

If there aren't any wide-open spaces in which men can breathe free and
live like men, soon the American way of liberty will be but a memory!

I think that putting some humans out of reach of the ICBMs of the
enemies of freedom is a good idea, but I don't think that we're going
to be opening a new frontier in space any time soon - or that sending
water bears to Mars will hasten matters in a useful fashion.

John Savard
Old November 29th 10, 08:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia[_5_]

Le 29/11/10 19:58, Quadibloc a écrit :
On Nov 28, 2:40 pm, Fred J. wrote:
wrote:

wouldnt it be sad to kill the first lifeform from another planet?

No, it wouldn't. Why do you think it would?

Of course it would be. We could learn from it if it is still alive for
us to study. A whole new world of biology would be available, offering
immense new vistas of scientific knowledge.

John Savard

Please, speaking of scientific knowledge to a republican like mccall is
like speaking about philosophy to a dog...

Look at his answer below for a confirmation.

Old November 29th 10, 09:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Nov 29, 11:04*am, Quadibloc wrote:
[...]

Perhaps one human dump would over-saturate the Mars environment as is.

What needs to get done is the melting of those polar ice caps, even if
they are mostly dry-ice. Good chance that under all of that solid or
fluffy CO2 dry-ice is a layer of actual water-ice that would quickly
sublime and be blown away by the solar wind within a few years at
best. Otherwise digging into the interior of Mars could be rather
interesting, though way spendy.

A substantial tunnel on Earth (such as the New Jersey-New York Mass
Transit/ARC Tunnel) can run upwards of $2.5M/meter, and even a basic
smaller tunnel that's not outfitted with anything runs at least
$100,000/meter. Therefore on Mars that tunneling project might
conceivably run us only $100 million per meter, and that's only if
we're lucky and absolutely nothing goes terribly wrong, not to mention
the decade plus required just for getting that mostly robotic tunnel
digger there in the first place. More likely this tunneling into Mars
would represent an all-inclusive investment of a billion dollars per
meter, but since it's all public loot is why this and our going after
Muslim WMD plus nation building for those that do not desire or
capable of appreciating such, really doesn't matter anyway, just like
our mutually perpetrated cold-war that lasted decades isn’t supposed
to matter.

~ BG
Old November 29th 10, 10:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

" wrote:
wouldnt it be sad to kill the first lifeform from another planet?

No, it wouldn't. *Why do you think it would?

Of course it would be. We could learn from it if it is still alive for
us to study. A whole new world of biology would be available, offering
immense new vistas of scientific knowledge.

John Savard

But only if it's kosher DNA and all the research is strictly public
funded with unlimited loot, most of which going to Semitic approved
teams, as otherwise our Fred J. McCall is going to have another fit.

Unlike here on Earth were humans much the same as the mainstream of
our status-quo folks like our Fred J. McCall, rabbi Saul Levy and
perhaps even yourself can literally dump as often and anywhere they
like, whereas perhaps one such human dump would over-saturate the
frail and mostly cold Mars environment as is..

What needs to get done is the melting of those polar ice caps, even if
they are mostly dry-ice. Good chance that under all of that solid or
fluffy CO2 dry-ice is a layer of actual water-ice that would quickly
sublime in the Mars vacuum and subsequently get blown away by the
solar wind within a few years at best. Otherwise digging into the
interior of Mars could be rather interesting, though way spendy.

A nuclear reactor could melt its way through all of that dry-ice and
whatever water-ice below, as otherwise a lithosphere bedrock tunneling
option might be interesting.

A substantial tunnel on Earth (such as the New Jersey-New York Mass
Transit/ARC Tunnel fiasco) can run upwards of $2.5M/meter, and even a
basic smaller tunnel that's not outfitted with anything runs at least
$100,000/meter. Therefore on Mars that remote tunneling project might
conceivably run us only $100 million per meter, and that's only if
we're lucky and absolutely nothing goes terribly wrong, not to mention
the decade plus required just for getting that mostly robotic tunnel
digger there in the first place. More likely this tunneling into Mars
would represent an all-inclusive investment of a billion dollars per
meter, but since it's all public loot is why this and our going after
bogus Muslim WMD plus whatever nation building for those that clearly
do not desire or capable of appreciating such, really doesn't matter
anyway, just like our mutually perpetrated cold-war that lasted
decades and having cost the world trillions per decade (as well as
having caused 911 among a few other dastardly things that nearly
created WW3) isn’t supposed to matter.

~ BG
Old November 29th 10, 11:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 30/11/2010 6:04 AM, Quadibloc wrote:
On Nov 28, 10:28 pm, Sylvia wrote:

To what end?

I agree that it's a stupid idea. Any existing life forms on Mars would
provide scientific knowledge far more valuable than Mars' value as
real estate. Although I still think life, while possible, is unlikely
on Mars.

But there is certainly a purpose in terraforming Mars. Earth is
getting overcrowded. Soon, there will be no space on Earth where
people will be able to breathe free. (Why, the Senate is even likely
to ratify the UN Small Arms treaty!)

Having a terraformed planet would not be a way of dealing with
overcrowding on Earth. It would be economically impossible to ship out
enough people to make any difference.

If there aren't any wide-open spaces in which men can breathe free and
live like men, soon the American way of liberty will be but a memory!

I think that putting some humans out of reach of the ICBMs of the
enemies of freedom is a good idea, but I don't think that we're going
to be opening a new frontier in space any time soon - or that sending
water bears to Mars will hasten matters in a useful fashion.

Certainly those who are outside the reach of ICBMs will no doubt be
thankful for that, but otherwise the same question arises - to what end?
Ensuring the perpetuation of the human race? Why is that so important?
The Universe certainly doesn't need us. If the race became extinct, no
one would care.

Any problems we have on Earth need to be solved on Earth.

Sylvia.
Old November 30th 10, 01:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 29/11/2010 3:32 AM, Kulin Remailer wrote:

trolllllllll

Terraform mars? LSMFT Policy 20 April 9th 10 06:17 PM
Why Colonize Space? Immortalista History 977 September 7th 09 02:25 AM
NASA angered God and ghosts in trying to colonize graveyard Mars. Lin Liangtai Amateur Astronomy 4 August 2nd 08 02:03 PM
NASA angered God and ghosts in trying to colonize graveyard Mars. Lin Liangtai Astronomy Misc 0 July 28th 08 10:55 AM