Mirror chip

Old September 21st 03, 10:36 PM
Doink

Default Mirror chip

I have a question about a small chip in the small mirror on my new 8"
reflector from Orion. The chip is on the back side and is pretty small. I
noticed it when I removed the dust cap the first time. It's about 2mm X
..25mm

I wrote Orion and they said it would have no impact on anything. I had the
scope out in daylight today to realign my finder scope and that chip really
bugged me. It's more niticeable in daylight. That little secondary mirror
is so thick I can't imagine that having much impact but there is no coating
on that tiny spot and that affect things, right?

What should I look for?
Does it affect view?

The hassle of shipping the tube back is a pain....

Can someone advise?

Thank you,
chris

Old September 21st 03, 10:43 PM
WayneH

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:36:26 -0700, "Doink"
wrote:

I have a question about a small chip in the small mirror on my new 8"
reflector from Orion. The chip is on the back side and is pretty small. I
noticed it when I removed the dust cap the first time. It's about 2mm X
.25mm

Not sure what you mean by the "back side," but if the chip is on the
side *away* from the primary, it can have absolutely *no* effect.
Even if the front side (towards the primary) is chipped as you
describe, you probably wouldn't be able to notice the slight impact is
would cause. Nevertheless, if it *is* on the front side, I'd make
Orion send me a new secondary.

Wayne Hoffman
33° 49" 17' N 117° 56" 41' W
"Don't Look Down"

http://home.pacbell.net/w6wlr/
Old September 21st 03, 10:48 PM
Florian

If it's on the shiny side of the mirror you might paint over it with =
flat black paint to prevent any stray reflections. Otherwise, i don't =
think such a small little ding will make any difference.

-Florian

Old September 21st 03, 10:53 PM
Doink

Yes, It's the side away from the primary. Just a little disheartening. I
haven't noticed anything but I'm just getting my "vision".

Old September 21st 03, 10:54 PM
Doink

Thank you. That's very reassuring.
news If it's on the shiny side of the mirror you might paint over it with flat

Old September 21st 03, 11:42 PM
Al

The chip in the secondary will have no effect on the images produced by the
scope, but it is _very_ likely to have an effect on a potential buyer when
you're ready to sell your scope. If you received the scope new from Orion
in this condition, I would request that they send you a replacement mirror.

Al

Old September 22nd 03, 12:10 AM
Doink

I thought about that too but was concerned about ME putting it in. How
difficult is that task?

. net...

Old September 22nd 03, 01:01 AM
Jim

Don't bother it is not worth it.

I doubt if it will have any impact on resale. JMHO

"Doink" wrote in message
I thought about that too but was concerned about ME putting it in. How
difficult is that task?

. net...

Old September 22nd 03, 02:37 AM
Richard DeLuca

In article ,
"Doink" wrote:

Can someone advise?

Chris,

Now that we have established it is on the back side of the mirror, the
answer is simple- leave it alone. Totally meaningless little ding,
affecting nothing, including resale value. Just enjoy your new scope!

Starry Skies,
Rich
Old September 22nd 03, 08:35 PM
Mike Simmons

I'll add to the chorus of "don't worry about it" replies. It will not
affect the performance of the telescope in any way.

Mike Simmons