New Apollo landing site photos

Old September 19th 11, 11:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default New Apollo landing site photos

On Sep 13, 4:43*am, Pat Flannery wrote:

Did they have a attempted replacement for him? Olivia did some work for
Playboy *many years after he left, but as I remember it, once he was
gone, the whole pin-up art section got dropped.

Sorry, I mis-remembered the dates. I was thinking of Don Lewis, which
seems to have been Vargas's 'alternate' in the early and mid-'60s (I
was thinking that it had been in the mid-'70s).

There were 174 Vargas girls running from September 1960 to February
1978, inclusive. This is not including at least two Vargas tribute
articles (January 1968 & December 1978). There was a cover girl in
March 1965 and at least two captions were reused for different pics. I
used to have the compilation collection that Playboy put out c 1972;
but like much of the Playboy Press collection, it was badly bound, and
pages started falling out of it.

Two more great girly artists should be mentioned because they are not
usually thought of as such nowadays: Wally Wood and Jack Cole, the
creator of Plastic Man.

I've seen some good stuff by them also, but it doesn't seem to be much
available online by them. I can still remember reading "Plastic Man" as
a kid, which was one of the oddest comics ever done.
I apparently was too young for "The Spirit" although it's hailed as *a
work of genius;

Although I had heard of The Spirit and seen a few bits and pieces, I
got familiar with Eisner's work when Warren magazines brought out a
reprint series around 1975, which ran for 16 issues and was taken up
by Kitchen Sink when Warren Publishing, um, 'folded'. The Spirit and
Eisner in general is HIGHLY recommended to anyone studying comics as
an art form. If nothing else, find the series where the Spirit leads
an expedition of convicts to the Moon.

Eisner certainly could draw a female figure to drool over, as could
many of the cartoonists of the time. Art Sneyd's Playboy pages were
always a delight, and I could also mention Don Wenzel, Harvey Kurtzman
and a dozen or so others from the magazine.

I used to have a pretty extensive collection of 'Sex to Sexty', which
was a cartoon collection compiled from the various girly mags, and
that got me aquianted with a lot of the artists of the time.
Old September 20th 11, 10:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
GordonD

wrote in message

I used to have a pretty extensive collection of 'Sex to Sexty', which
was a cartoon collection compiled from the various girly mags, and
that got me aquianted with a lot of the artists of the time.

"Oh, I only buy 'Playboy' for the cartoons..."
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Old September 21st 11, 05:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Paul Madarasz[_2_]

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:26:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote, perhaps among other things:

I used to have a pretty extensive collection of 'Sex to Sexty', which
was a cartoon collection compiled from the various girly mags, and
that got me aquianted with a lot of the artists of the time.

I haven't thought about those in -- gotta be 40 years. You sent in
jokes for their "Jokes America Loves Society".
--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey
Old September 29th 11, 01:56 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Sep 20, 1:23*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 9/19/2011 2:26 PM, wrote:

I used to have a pretty extensive collection of 'Sex to Sexty', which
was a cartoon collection compiled from the various girly mags, and
that got me aquianted with a lot of the artists of the time.

I've got a copy of the big "The Great American Pin-Up" book, which is a
good starting point,

I've got a copy, also. As you said, it's a great starter.
A good website is: www.thepinupfiles.com

as well as smaller books dedicated to a single
artist.

Fantagraphics(?) was trying to bring out some artist-dedicated books a
few years ago. I was thinking about picking up the Don Wenzel one, but
it was a bit spendier than I was willing to go that week, and the next
time I went to the shop, someone had already gotten their only copy.

It's pretty easy to find Vargas' pre-Playboy stuff, but Playboy
keeps a tight lid on his work for them. I ran across Don Lewis a few
days back on a website, but had never heard of him before. His art is
good, but I pity him for having to go head-to-head in Playboy with
Vargas, whose status as "THE Pin-Up Artist" was legendary.

I've got about 10 of his Playboy pages on my HD, if you'd like copies.
I have nothing else by him- what was the website?
Old October 26th 11, 01:33 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
William Mook[_2_]

What are You Looking For?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKqdePEwEkc

Dry Weights
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apol...on_Weights.htm

S-II

Manufacturer North American
Country of origin USA
Rockets Saturn V (stage 2)

Size
Height 24.9 m (82 ft)
Diameter 10 m (33 ft)
Mass 480,900 kg (1,060,000 lb)
Empty 36,550 kg (80,560 lb)

Engine details

Engines 5 J-2 engine
Thrust 5,115 kN (1,150,000 lbf)
Burn time 367 seconds
Fuel LOX/LH2
Isp 422 seconds

Six of these S-II stages clustered together and fired in three steps
could place 655,000 pounds into LEO - with recovery of the stages.

Clustering a 'stretched' version to double the weight doubles the
payload to 1,310,000 pounds to LEO. The engine cluster in this case
must be increased as well. This is most easily achieved with an
aerospike engine built of 11 sections with 11 pumpsets.

A regular S-II sitting atop the cluster allows an additional 250,000
lbs of payload. The S-II would then become a 'wet habitat' flying on
to Mars or Venus or the Moon. To the Moon, one way. Ditto for
Venus. To Mars, using Zubrin's ideas for refueling, the S-II can be
used to return to Earth.

Wernher von Braun designed a space station based on fitting out of an
expended Saturn II stage in orbit on 24 November 1964.

The NERVA rocket program could have been completed and replaced the J2
Engines in the upper stage. Bimodal operation on one of the engines
would have provided electrical power in transit. This would have
resulted in the elimination of the oxygen tank, expansion of the
hydrogen tank, and an increase of payload from 250,000 pounds to
650,000 pounds! With an ability to and return from Mercury, Venus
orbit, Lunar Surface and Mars (without refueling) along with the
asteroid belt.

Its clear that had an additional $8 billion been spent on top of the
$22 billion spent previously, the USA would have given us early
mastery of the inner solar system.