Very badly written Soyuz TM-11 article by local Houston TV station

Old May 4th 08, 02:40 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Very badly written Soyuz TM-11 article by local Houston TV station

A real howler he

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori....c0f41cbc.html

First, the writer implies that an off nominal ballistic Soyuz reentry
features an upside down reentry module.
My understanding is a ballistic reentry uses the normal orientation of
having rear heat shield toward the velocity vector.

Second the article states "...the last two Soyuz landings have had the
same trouble."
The previous reentry, although ballistic, did not feature a hatch
rearward attitude, and the service module separated normally.

Again I assert that I have no faith in the second estate. When the
media reports in error on a topic that I am well versed in, it brings
into question the accuracy of topics that I am not an expert in.

It is as though this article was written for elementary school
readers, it is so simplistic. ANd they probably read it verbatim on
the air, too!

sigh.....

Old May 5th 08, 12:38 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

M wrote:
Second the article states "...the last two Soyuz landings have had the
same trouble."
The previous reentry, although ballistic, did not feature a hatch
rearward attitude, and the service module separated normally.

Again I assert that I have no faith in the second estate. When the
media reports in error on a topic that I am well versed in,

You may need a little more versing; Soyuz TMA-10 also had a problem
with the separation of its service module; the Russians neglected to
mention that malfunction until after TMA-11 had its problem.
James Oberg mentions that fact in his article:
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori....c0f41cbc.html

Pat
Old May 5th 08, 03:11 AM posted to sci.space.history

On May 4, 4:38 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
M wrote:
Second the article states "...the last two Soyuz landings have had the
same trouble."
The previous reentry, although ballistic, did not feature a hatch
rearward attitude, and the service module separated normally.

Again I assert that I have no faith in the second estate. When the
media reports in error on a topic that I am well versed in,

You may need a little more versing; Soyuz TMA-10 also had a problem
with the separation of its service module; the Russians neglected to
mention that malfunction until after TMA-11 had its problem.
James Oberg mentions that fact in his article:http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori...itson.c0f41cbc...

Pat

The URL you show takes me back to the Jeremy Desel / 11 News article
that I mentioned in my original post.
Old May 5th 08, 04:42 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

M wrote:

The URL you show takes me back to the Jeremy Desel / 11 News article
that I mentioned in my original post.

Whoops, my bad: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5412

Pat