NASA asteroid scientists versus 13-year-old.

Old April 17th 08, 05:38 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default NASA asteroid scientists versus 13-year-old.

And guess who wins?: http://www.physorg.com/news127499715.html

Pat
Old April 17th 08, 12:05 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jean-Jacques Serra

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2008...culations.html

Old April 17th 08, 03:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Apr 17, 4:05 am, Jean-Jacques Serra wrote:
And guess who wins?:http://www.physorg.com/news127499715.html

Pat

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2008...nt_asteroid_ca...

RELEASE : 08-103

NASA Statement on Student Asteroid Calculations

"WASHINGTON -- The Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA's Jet
Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., has not changed its current
estimates for the very low probability (1 in 45,000) of an Earth
impact by the asteroid Apophis in 2036.

Contrary to recent press reports, NASA offices involved in near-Earth
object research were not contacted and have had no correspondence with
a young German student, who claims the Apophis impact probability is
far higher than the current estimate.

This student's conclusion reportedly is based on the possibility of a
collision with an artificial satellite during the asteroid's close
approach in April 2029. However, the asteroid will not pass near the
main belt of geosynchronous satellites in 2029, and the chance of a
collision with a satellite is exceedingly remote.

Therefore, consideration of this satellite collision scenario does not
affect the current impact probability estimate for Apophis, which
remains at 1 in 45,000."

-

Why of course, and it's not ever going to impact anything else along
it's multi-year trek. Besides, we can always trust our NASA over the
expertise and wisdom of all others, just like we'd trusted our
resident LLPOF warlord(GW Bush).
.. - Brad Guth
Old April 17th 08, 03:54 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:9uedndNH2KzPSZvVnZ2dnUVZ_oWdnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
And guess who wins?: http://www.physorg.com/news127499715.html

The scientists. The kid was wrong and the news stories that say he's right
are also wrong.

NASA Watch has some info on this.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old April 17th 08, 05:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jean-Jacques Serra wrote:
And guess who wins?: http://www.physorg.com/news127499715.html

Pat

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2008...culations.html

And so the cover-up begins!
It's time to start building the Space Ark, like in "When Worlds Collide"!
Nothing bad ever happened on Friday the 13th, that's for sure.
NASA knows there is nothing unlucky about the number "13".
Friday, the 13th of April of 2029, will be just like any other
day...when around a five billion people die, and humanity is thrown into
a new dark age ruled by the Antichrist...after Apophis hits _ALL_ of the
GEO satellites and falls straight down onto the ruins of Sodom and
Gomorrah, as the Holy-Bible-Book of Revelation predicts!
7,666* days till Apophis/Wormwood!
Waste anything but time!

* Note...the number of the beast!

Rev. Jimmy-Joe Godknow and the Rev. Martin Luther Bling
Full Gospel Olde-Timey Evangelical Rubber Snake Handling Church Under
The Rock
Coalslag, West Virginia

P.S. We are bitter...and we are well-armed! :-)
Old April 17th 08, 08:08 PM posted to sci.space.history
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
"Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:9uedndNH2KzPSZvVnZ2dnUVZ_oWdnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
And guess who wins?: http://www.physorg.com/news127499715.html

The scientists. The kid was wrong and the news stories that say he's right
are also wrong.

NASA Watch has some info on this.

Jeff

I would have to examine the models used in both calculations, as
long-term perturbations from Earth, Venus, Jupiter, solar wind, etc. of
Apophis' orbit can affect the answers.

This is not something you can calculate on the back of an envelope and
get a meaningful answer.

Old April 17th 08, 10:42 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
This is not something you can calculate on the back of an envelope and
get a meaningful answer.

If that envelope contains a prayer offering to our church, you can!
The meaningful answer is that only the Godknow/Bling Prayer Poncho can
save your soul when that Hell-born asteroid falls to Earth.
And the bigger that offering is, the bigger the Prayer Poncho you will
receive!
You wouldn't just want your head and torso to go to heaven, while your
arms and legs remain on the Wormwood-blighted Earth under the control of
the Antichrist, would you? :-)

Rev. Godknow
F.G.O.T.E.R.S.H.C.U.T.R.
Coalslag, West Virginia

Old April 17th 08, 10:47 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:9uedndNH2KzPSZvVnZ2dnUVZ_oWdnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
And guess who wins?: http://www.physorg.com/news127499715.html

The scientists. The kid was wrong and the news stories that say he's
right
are also wrong.

NASA Watch has some info on this.

Jeff

I would have to examine the models used in both calculations, as
long-term perturbations from Earth, Venus, Jupiter, solar wind, etc. of
Apophis' orbit can affect the answers.

This is not something you can calculate on the back of an envelope and
get a meaningful answer.

Sure this isn't something you can do on the back of an envelope.

My Orbital Mechanics professor at Purdue used to work at JPL. She's still
at Purdue doing really interesting work. I had to work pretty hard in that
class, so I know how hard it can be even for a "simple" problem like the
kind you'd find on a 500 level exam.

So, who are you going to believe? The kid with the science fair project or
NASA?

Jeff

Old April 18th 08, 12:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:

So, who are you going to believe? The kid with the science fair project or
NASA?

I'm thinking about it.
After the water-created blueberries on Mars that turned out to be
meteorite impact splash, and the "recent liquid water" flow down the
inside of the crater that turned out not to have been caused by liquid
water, NASA isn't at the top of my list for reliable information these days.
Mind you, this German kid's science fair project last year about the
mysterious loss of bee populations being due to their being eaten by
near-invisible Skyfish was a little odd also.
But he's matured a lot since then, I'm sure.
Even WvB wasn't taken seriously when he was young and shot that rocket
into the neighbor's greenhouse, explaining to the police that someday
his rockets were going to be blowing up greenhouses in London, and
they'd be sorry then, as he'd have them all sent off to labor camps.
Did NASA ever look into what would happen if Apophis _did_ hit a GEO
satellite?
The change in velocity to the asteroid would be very tiny, but over the
seven year period between that encounter and its next close pass in
2036, such a velocity change would move it either a bit closer or
further away from Earth.

Pat
Old April 18th 08, 07:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:UO2dnUgXqKIQQ5rVnZ2dnUVZ_hGdnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...

Did NASA ever look into what would happen if Apophis _did_ hit a GEO
satellite?

Why? The trajectory analysis says it's not going to come anywhere near GEO
comsats. Remember, these aren't scattered at random, they're all in in
equitorial orbits at the same altitude. Apophis would need to cross that
very thin hula-hoop shaped region containing the GEO comsats for this ever
to become a problem.

The change in velocity to the asteroid would be very tiny, but over the
seven year period between that encounter and its next close pass in 2036,
such a velocity change would move it either a bit closer or further away
from Earth.

True, but the answer to that is "run the numbers". This might actually make
for a good Master's Thesis topic. ;-)

Jeff