Kepler Mission Mystery

Old August 10th 16, 04:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default Kepler Mission Mystery

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog...nted-rate.html

They may be in process of enclosing star using self replicating machinery.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140...e-in-our-reach

Consider flowers blooming after a spring rain in the Kalahari. An amazing sight by the way;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJTZl5CfNeo&app=desktop

Just as a desert blooms after a spring rain giving rise to millions of plants from the wilderness so to that the present epoch is giving rise to millions of worlds more sane and civilised than we.

Our oligarchy in its narrow interests have already doomed our civilisation to a poor to nonexistent role in the great cosmic stage. Which is too damn bad.

Had Goddard and Oberth met as friends and the resources of World War One been expended on space travel as we entered the 20th century we would be a space faring civilisation today and be building our own Dyson sphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkC7ralR30&app=desktop

Old August 10th 16, 04:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 3:35:47 AM UTC+12, William Mook wrote:
[...]

My friend Carl Sagan realised this and fervently hoped we would come to find a more worthy goal than meaningless violence against one another merely to enrich a narrow oligarchy who conceives that against the infinities of space and time, there are too many people because the lack any capacity for real imagination understanding or awareness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSrL0BXsO40

Old August 11th 16, 04:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

William Mook wrote:

My friend Carl Sagan ...

Carl Sagan couldn't have picked you out of a lineup.

Liar.

--
"False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the
soul with evil."
Old August 11th 16, 09:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 3:09:47 PM UTC+12, Fred J. McCall wrote:
William Mook wrote:

My friend Carl Sagan ...

Carl Sagan couldn't have picked you out of a lineup.

I met Sagan following the 20th anniversary of Project Ozma in 1980 and later at the switch on ceremony of Project BETA at Harvard university and remained in touch thereafter.

At the time, I worked at the Ohio State University as a research associate in the Astronomy department, and ran a computer company. I worked first with Walter Mitchell reducing data he collected on Skylab's solar telescope, identifying spectra on the sun . Then with John Kraus reducing data he collected with 'Big Ear'.

Since I made substantive contributions to the FFT analyser design developed by the Berkley team when at OSU, the FFT analyzer for use at Harvard's telescope in the years preceding META then BETA starting in 1983, Paul Horowitz donated META the predecessor of BETA to OSU's Big Ear for this reason, and I was there to collect it! I was invited at Carl's urging to attend the lecture they had planned, and PBS' NOVA even filmed me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_cpy30Los

I'm at 53:33 and was sporting a moustache then!

As this photo from that time attests;

http://www.naapo.org/NAAPO-News/Vol04/v04n01pic2.gif

I invented the computer based cash register;

https://www.google.com/patents/US4903200

and had access to a lot of hardware that was I made available for free to graduate students, to get things built.

Liar.

I see that you are resigned to believe what you wish to think, but I knew Carl well. I'm sorry you can't see that.

Old August 14th 16, 04:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

On 8/10/2016 11:35 AM, William Mook wrote:

[...]

Since a hobby of mine is complexity science, or self organizing
systems, I tend to agree the universe is, or will be, teeming
with life. I suspect we are among the first 'bloom' of life
across the universe as I believe the universe became
favorable for life at roughly the same time.

But I also believe an advanced civilization would
understand the simplicity of nature, and take it's
lessons to heart. Which would translate to societies
that know how to exist within their means, and to
societies that already have the 'secrets' to nature
and no longer need to travel elsewhere to discover
them.

As their curiosity would already be satisfied by
understanding life evolves everywhere it can and
from simple universal processes that can as easily
be observed in a simple passing cloud as can be seen
in a distant star or alien planet.

Truly advanced life won't need to, or want to, colonize
or travel among the stars.

We need and want to do those things because in general
we DO NOT yet understand the true simplicity and
majesty of nature and evolution, and are not yet
advanced enough to learn from those lessons and
apply them to society.

The secret to nature is extraordinarily simple, perhaps
too simple for most to believe.

The most common instinct for reductionist science is
to define what came first, whether a big bang, ultimate
particle, God or missing link. But if we extrapolate
backwards in an evolving system what do we find
is the ultimate starting point?

It's disorder! As evolution is a process tha
creates order.

For a solar system, the ultimate starting point is
a vast interstellar cloud of gas and dust which
has been perturbed.

A random system...randomly disturbed! Or the
definition of zero order.

For life it's the oft cited 'primordial soup'
and perhaps a stray bolt of lighting. Again
a random fluid, randomly disturbed.

Neither solid or gas, neither simple or chaotic
but like the duality of light an entanglement
of both opposites in possibility, as in a fluid.

For, say, an idea, when facts and imagination are at
simultaneous maximums, the opposites in possibilities
are entangled, the better idea emerges as if by magic.

And there is a term common to all three scenarios
above, for universe, life and everything else.

Disorder!~

"I found the words to every thought
I ever had but One
And that defies me
As a Hand did try to chalk the Sun

To Races nurtured in the Dark
How would your own begin?
Can Blaze be shown in Cochineal
Or Noon in Mazarin?"

Where uncertainty, or complexity is at a maximum
neither solid or gas, neither facts or imagination
then self organization spontaneously emerges.

Where uncertainty or zero order exists, nature begins.

When the Second Law has done it's job well, that
is the ideal initial conditions for life.

The only place, zero order or maximum uncertainty
which defies any objective definition is the one
place where life and order begins. Which also
happens to be a perfectly good definition of
God.

Jonathan

Growth of Man -- like Growth of Nature
Gravitates within
Atmosphere, and Sun endorse it
Bit it stir -- alone

Each -- its difficult Ideal
Must achieve -- Itself
Through the solitary prowess
Of a Silent Life --

Effort -- is the sole condition
Patience of Itself
Patience of opposing forces
And intact Belief

Looking on -- is the Department
Of its Audience
But Transaction -- is assisted
By no Countenance

Poems By E Dickinson

Old August 15th 16, 06:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 3:31:20 AM UTC+12, Jonathan wrote:
[...]

What is simpler than expanding the range of a species? All species extend their range when possible. Why would humanity abandon this survival strategy? Why would any intelligent species?

https://web.stanford.edu/group/stanf...Expansion.html

Which would translate to societies
that know how to exist within their means,

Why would knowing the resources within a given range of a species necessarily limit its desire to expand its range? Range expansion occurs across all species today. Why does 'knowing' something necessarily change that natural instinct toward expansion?

and to
societies that already have the 'secrets' to nature
and no longer need to travel elsewhere to discover
them.

Freeman Dyson said it best, this little planet gives too small a range to the human imagination. This is a restatement of a thinking being of the fundamental instinct to expand our range. Carl Sagan also supports this notion.