Fixing up a scope that is down on its luck

Old August 13th 03, 11:03 PM
J. L. Rufener

Default Fixing up a scope that is down on its luck

I just acquired another scope (my third - my marriage is in danger I think).
It is a 16" Equatorial Mount Meade Starfinder (a Newtonian) but an older
model. It was bought maybe 14 or 15 years ago by an individual of my
acquaintance who comes into money infrequently but doesn't know what to do
with it so he buys things he doesn't understand how to use. The scope has
been used a few times and then stored for 14 years, to my certain knowledge
(probably longer), in less than ideal conditions.

It appears to be all there, the hardware is corroded - that I can replace.
There was a cover over the ends but there are spider webs inside; the
mirrors are dirty as hell but do not appear to be damaged. I can't really
tell if they need to be replaced or re-aluminized(?) until they are cleaned.
The tube is a spiral wound affair that I believe is called a "sonotube" it
is sound but the paint on the outside is chipped here and there.

I plan to disassemble and inspect it then clean / rebuild / replace the
mirrors. I will powder coat the metal parts and so forth but I have two
immediate questions.

1. I don't want to damage the mirror any more if it is salvageable. Any
recommendations?

2. I don't really know what the sonotube material is and so I am unsure
what to clean and/or paint it with. Any wisdom in this area?

And for those of you thinking I may have lost my mind - you may be right.
However, the price right and I cannot help myself.

Old August 14th 03, 12:46 PM
Ian W

In article ,
says...
[...]

Remove the mirrors and if you aren't sure how to clean them up have them
looked at by a professional. Chances are the coatings will need
replacing, so just rinse the mirrors with distilled water and then ship
them off to a recoating facility and pay for them to strip the old
coatings as all the Meade 16" mirrors have an Si0 coating on them.

2. I don't really know what the sonotube material is and so I am unsure
what to clean and/or paint it with. Any wisdom in this area?

Sonotube is spiral wrapped carboard tubing that was designed for use as a
concrete form. Any oil or water based paint works well with it, or if
you want a really waterproof finish coat it in an epoxy resin. As for
cleaning the existing tube, a damp cloth and normal household washing up
liquid works fine.

And for those of you thinking I may have lost my mind - you may be right.
However, the price right and I cannot help myself.

Good luck to you!

Old August 14th 03, 04:54 PM
J. L. Rufener

Thanks - especially for the sonotube information.

"Ian W" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Old August 14th 03, 04:54 PM
J. L. Rufener

Thanks - especially for the sonotube information.

"Ian W" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Old August 15th 03, 12:27 AM
Matt

"J. L. Rufener" wrote in message
Thanks - especially for the sonotube information.

If it is any help thin grade superglue that you can get in model shops is
ideal for hardening holes in and the ends of sonotube. You just soak the
fibreboard and it sets rock hard. Just don't spill it on the paintwork, it's
impossible to sand off. I'm sure you can guess how I know ;-)

Matt

---