Mars for the masses

Old August 27th 03, 01:09 PM
Terry B

Default Mars for the masses

I have just returned home from showing about 200 people mars through my
telescope. I had arranged with my son's school to set up on their sports
field tonight and the entire school was invited. I live in a small town and
I think about 1/4 of the students and parents turned up. I have never done
any public viewing before and it was a good experience. Most of the kids
were able to make out the polar cap and everyone seemed to have a good time.
an experience well worth repeating.

--
Terry Bohlsen
Moree

Old August 27th 03, 02:08 PM
Alan French

"Terry B" wrote in message
u...
I have just returned home from showing about 200 people mars through my
telescope. I had arranged with my son's school to set up on their sports
field tonight and the entire school was invited. I live in a small town

and
I think about 1/4 of the students and parents turned up. I have never done
any public viewing before and it was a good experience. Most of the kids
were able to make out the polar cap and everyone seemed to have a good

time.
an experience well worth repeating.

Terry,

Yes, sharing views through a telescope can be a lot of fun. We have one
school that we visit on a fairly regular basis, and the teachers give the
kids quite a bit of background and get them prepared for the "Star Party."
They are always very enthusiastic, and have a great time. Third grade seems
to be "prime" for astronomy. Some of the really young kids have trouble
looking into a telescope.

Of course, no matter how many scopes are on hand, they all have to look
through every telescope.

Clear skies, Alan

Old August 27th 03, 03:58 PM
ncstargazer

Terry,
I hope your first public viewing will be the start of many years of such
events.
My wife and I have been sharing the heavens with the area children for about
15 years now. We have just as much fun as the kids do at these events. I
encourage everyone to host a group of kids sometime in the coming weeks to
view Mars. Invite a church's youth group. The local Boy Scouts or Cub
Scouts. Girls Scouts or other area youth group for a night under the stars
and I guarantee that you'll have the time of your life.

Marc
www.astrostickers.com

u...

Old August 27th 03, 04:47 PM
ncstargazer

"Mick" wrote in message

Mars is way past their bedtimes however....

The last two Harry Potter books were released at 12:01 AM local time and the
lateness of the hour didn't stop the little ones from staying up past their
bedtimes to line up at the bookstores here......
The neat thing about this event, unlike, say the peak of a meteor shower or
a lunar eclipse, is that the viewing on Friday and Saturday will be just as
good as last night.
On Friday night Mars should come into view at Deer Meadow Observatory around
10:40 PM. Late, but not that late.
Marc
www.astrostickers.com

Old August 27th 03, 05:09 PM
Mick

"ncstargazer" wrote in message
link.net...
"Mick" wrote in message

Mars is way past their bedtimes however....

The last two Harry Potter books were released at 12:01 AM local time and

the
lateness of the hour didn't stop the little ones from staying up past

their
bedtimes to line up at the bookstores here......
The neat thing about this event, unlike, say the peak of a meteor shower

or
a lunar eclipse, is that the viewing on Friday and Saturday will be just

as
good as last night.
On Friday night Mars should come into view at Deer Meadow Observatory

around
10:40 PM. Late, but not that late.
Marc
www.astrostickers.com

Where is Deer Meadow Observatory?...
Here the clouds have won out again, along with the fires in the west...

http://www.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/images/c..._wcan2_030.jpg

Old August 27th 03, 05:43 PM
ncstargazer

Shhhhh....don't say the "c" word

We're located in central North Carolina... just south of Winston-Salem. Like
most of the southeast we have had an abundance of the "c"s and plenty of the
"r" and way too many "ts"s as well. We had clear skies last night and I'm
keeping my fingers crossed for another night or two of viewing.
Please..... Please.... don't anyone in the Carolinas or southern Virginia,
for that matter, buy a new telescope or eye piece this week!!!
Marc
www.astrostickers.com

. ..