Choosing Tile Repair Methods for Rentry

Old August 13th 07, 11:23 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
heremon

Default Choosing Tile Repair Methods for Rentry

After seeing news about the latest foam-damage to Endeavor's heat
shield, there seems to be a problem in selecting one of three repair
methods.

Why not employ all three? Put in some foam; spray the dried foam with
heat-dissipating paint; then bolt on the plate.

Of course, even with all three fixes in place, the landing mission
should be "volunteer only" now.
Teacher-in-space gets to remain on station for another shuttle...or a
suyuz. What fun!

Old August 14th 07, 08:59 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Well, judging from what I've seen in the past, this damage is pretty minor
unless there exists some unseen damage like fracturing of a larger area of
tile.

I can recall from way back before the Shuttle flew, that aerodynamic tests
said that given the re entry profile, the heat protection was well over
engineered.

As for method, I'm not that comfortable with the screw on plate idea, as it
does cause extra damage to tiles in order to affix it, and although the area
looks flat, I suspect its actually not.

My guess, if anything is done, is that a wash is used, and maybe the Goop on
top if that is possible. I imagine the engineers will be interested in
seeing how this performs in real conditions anyway.

The main problem, as we heard last night is that any damage below the tile
will need action which will impact turn around.

It should be remembered that the reason we had the break up of Columbia was
that the hot gasses got into the structure from one of the hottest areas,
and hopefully, they have got this covered now.

Also, listening to the risk which has always been considered OK, from
Nasa's point of view, makes you realise that there is no such thing as safe
as you and I might regard it.

These people know the risks. The problem before was well documented
complacency and all the other things. Though not perfect, I think realism
has set in at Nasa.

Brian

Email:

oups.com...