Roaches Conquer Space!

Old October 2nd 12, 11:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Wayne Throop

Default Roaches Conquer Space!

::: While looking up the above, I noticed that the streetview image
::: included a second streetview car. In all the "interesting
::: streetviews" I don't think I've ever seen recursion before.
::: http://goo.gl/maps/1JLds

:: That's not recursion, that's a paradox; the car photographed itself,
:: so obviously it was traveling FTL!

: Greg Goss
: Look, I've commuted across the Knight Street Bridge. You're lucky to
: get into second gear. Nobody goes FTL on that road.

I'm pretty sure I saw a google picture vehicle when looking at
street views. But I don't recall where, or whether maybe it was
a reflection in a window or something. But if there's a bottleneck
where two of them would have to use a bridge... well, that makes
it less improbable.

Hm... looking at the url, it seems like it's not at all like
the google vehicles I saw, which were white trucks. But the camera
pole sure looks bolted to that grey car. I wonder if it's a competitor.
Or if google really has competitors for street view compilations.

When I drive that slow you know it's hard to steer
I can't get my car out of second gear!
--- I Can't Drive 55

My Maserati does 185
I lost my license, now I don't drive
--- Life's Been Good

My dad said "Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that hot... rod... Lincoln."
--- Hot Rod Lincoln
Old October 3rd 12, 12:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
[email protected]

On Oct 2, 3:17*pm, (Wayne Throop) wrote:
[...]

"Hey buddy how do I get this car outa second gear?"

Little Nash Rambler

Mark L. Fergerson
Old October 3rd 12, 02:52 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.policy
Will Janoschka

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 20:03:42, "
wrote:

On Oct 2, 10:48˙am, Greg Goss wrote:
Robert Clark wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:27 am, David Spain wrote:
aka Skin Strength Of Liquid Fueled Rockets...

Sorry I couldn't help myself, I thought the given subject title more catchy! :-D

From the thread entitled:
Elon Musk: ticket to Mars for $500,000.

On 9/30/2012 3:00 AM, Robert Clark wrote:

The new Falcon 9 v1.1 will have its engines arranged in an octagonal
arrangement:

Untested Rocket Boosts SpaceX Revenue Nearly $1 Billion.
By Amy Svitak
Source: Aviation Week & Space Technology
September 17, 2012
[quote]
...Another change, she says, involves the rocket's nine Merlin 1D
engines, which will be positioned in an octagonal configuration,
rather than the tic-tac-toe placement on the current Falcon 9.
You actually want the engines around the perimeter at the tank,
otherwise you are carrying that load from those engines that are not
on the skin, she says. You've got to carry them out to the skin,
because that is the primary load path for the launch vehicle." [/
quote]

Isn't this generally the case for most (if not all) liquid fueled rockets? Doesn't a lot of the structural strength derived from the
vertically stacked skin and whatever structural elements that are arrayed around the tanks? After all, the majority of mass in the
center is literally quite fluid!

Were there ever any rockets build that used multiple tanks arrayed around a skeletal core? Can't think of any. Can't think of a
reason why that would be advantageous either! Hence the exo-skeletal model will always win over the skeletal model?! Opinions?

Hence: Roaches Conquer Space!

Dave

It is generally the case that the propellant tank skin supports the
thrust loads for orbital rockets, often with vertical stringers, or
longerons, arrayed internally in the tanks to help support the axial
loads. However, I found an image of a proposed design of the Altair
lunar lander that shows such a skeletal support strutu

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2009/03/...roposal-altair...

Even static tanks need structure. ˙I used to commute past a wooden
water tower. ˙Eventually they did something else and no longer needed
to put water in that tower. ˙However, by that time, they'd hung a
bunch of telephone cells onto the tower, so they couldn't take it
down. ˙So they removed the wooden bits and left a very odd-looking
cell tower behind. ˙http://goo.gl/maps/1kaWB

While looking up the above, I noticed that the streetview image
included a second streetview car. ˙In all the "interesting
streetviews" I don't think I've ever seen recursion before.http://goo.gl/maps/1JLds

That's not recursion, that's a paradox; the car photographed itself,
so obviously it was traveling FTL!

Marj L. "I wonder what the speeding fine is?" Fergerson

That is only multiple photos with tranport delay. Like pointing
a tv camera at a display of the output of that tv camera.

Old October 3rd 12, 07:33 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
snidely

Wayne Throop wrote on 10/2/2012 :
Hm... looking at the url, it seems like it's not at all like
the google vehicles I saw, which were white trucks. But the camera
pole sure looks bolted to that grey car. I wonder if it's a competitor.
Or if google really has competitors for street view compilations.

Google uses a variety of vehicles for street view; I've seen something
in the Focus/Yaris size range, with either a fancy paint job or vinyl
skins in garish green, hyping the Googleness Of It All. Some of the
"Google Street View Finds" in various web loggia have part of the
camera car in view (directly, like Curiosity filming its fender), the
shadow of the car, or a reflection of the car.

(Why sci.astro? Hubble doesn't use skeletal tank frames)

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old October 3rd 12, 01:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Paul Madarasz[_2_]

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 16:27:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote, perhaps among other things:

[...]

"Beep Beep"

Mark L. Fergerson

--

"One thing happened after another, and before
we knew it, we were dead"
Old October 3rd 12, 04:11 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Will Janoschka

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 04:57:03, Robert Clark
wrote:

On Oct 2, 9:52˙pm, (Will Janoschka) wrote:

While looking up the above, I noticed that the streetview image
included a second streetview car. In all the "interesting
streetviews" I don't think I've ever seen recursion before.http://goo..gl/maps/1JLds

˙ That's not recursion, that's a paradox; the car photographed itself,
so obviously it was traveling FTL!

˙ Marj L. "I wonder what the speeding fine is?" Fergerson

That is only multiple photos with tranport delay. ˙ Like pointing
a tv camera at a display of the output of that tv camera.

???

Bob Clark

Get cheap USB camera for computer. Continuously display
output from that camera on computer display. Point camera
at the computer display, rotate camera slowly. The weird
display is a result of transport delay between camera and
the resulting displayed image.
Old October 3rd 12, 08:49 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
[email protected]

wrote:

On Oct 2, 9:52 pm, (Will Janoschka) wrote:

While looking up the above, I noticed that the streetview image
included a second streetview car. In all the "interesting
streetviews" I don't think I've ever seen recursion before.http://goo..gl/maps/1JLds

That's not recursion, that's a paradox; the car photographed itself,
so obviously it was traveling FTL!

Marj L. "I wonder what the speeding fine is?" Fergerson

That is only multiple photos with tranport delay. Like pointing
a tv camera at a display of the output of that tv camera.

* ???

* Bob Clark

Get cheap USB camera for computer. Continuously display
output from that camera on computer display. *Point camera
at the computer display, rotate camera slowly. The weird
display is a result of transport delay between camera and
the resulting displayed image.

Yeah, that was a SPFX on the B&W Twilight Zone TV show IIRC.

But how does that apply to a Googlemobile?

Mark L. Fergerson
Old October 3rd 12, 09:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Dr J R Stockton[_179_]

In sci.space.history message -
september.org, Tue, 2 Oct 2012 07:45:10, Jeff Findley
posted:

...Another change, she says, involves the rocket's nine Merlin 1D
engines, which will be positioned in an octagonal configuration,

That change percolates through a lot doesn't it? And this "octagonal"
configuration will still have an engine in the middle no? Or will it
just be a ring around the perimeter?

It will almost certainly need an engine in the center, otherwise I'd
imagine exhaust gas recirculation into the gap left by an absent center
engine would be a problem.

With an octagonal configuration and nine engines, the ninth engine must
necessarily be either inside or outside the octagon. There is only one
possible symmetrical arrangement.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Mail via homepage. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms and links;