Observatory For Sale

Old June 17th 05, 02:49 PM

Default Observatory For Sale

My entire observatory and everything in it is offered for sale.

This includes the Astrophysics 1200 mount, 16" f4 newt, 10" f6 newt, 8"
f5 newt and 4" f4 and rings for mounting any of them on the AP1200.

Also included is the Starlight Xpress MX716/C CCD camera and just about
everything else shown on my web site.

For pictures and more info on the equipment and about 500 images taken
with this equipment since 1995, browse http://schmidling.com/astro.htm

I am asking $12,000 for the entire lot. Purchaser to pick up or pay
shipping charges.

Jack Schmidling
Marengo, Illinois

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Old June 17th 05, 04:45 PM
md

wrote in message
oups.com...
My entire observatory and everything in it is offered for sale.

This includes the Astrophysics 1200 mount, 16" f4 newt, 10" f6 newt, 8"
f5 newt and 4" f4 and rings for mounting any of them on the AP1200.

Also included is the Starlight Xpress MX716/C CCD camera and just about
everything else shown on my web site.

For pictures and more info on the equipment and about 500 images taken
with this equipment since 1995, browse http://schmidling.com/astro.htm

I am asking $12,000 for the entire lot. Purchaser to pick up or pay
shipping charges.

Jack Schmidling
Marengo, Illinois

Jack, I visited your website many times the last couple of years and I enjoyed your work. I am
sorry you hear to sell everything!
--
md
10" LX200GPS-SMT

Old June 17th 05, 06:13 PM

md wrote:

Jack, I visited your website many times the last couple of years and I enjoyed your work. I am
sorry you hear to sell everything!

Well, I have been in this hobby since a child and doing serious stuff
for the past 10 years. It may seem pompous but I sort of feel like I
used up the sky.

When one considers the local seeing, weather, mosquitoes etc, the
return on time invested has reached the point of diminishing returns.

To watch my wonderful stuff collect dust and deteriorate from lack of
attention makes little sense.

The mount has spoiled me to the point that any or all of my scopes are
useless without it so it's either all or nothing.

Thanks for the kind words but there are lots of other things to do with
what time I have left on this planet. My current project is a hand
tailored coat. Not much connection to astronomy but that has been the
way my life goes.

js

Old June 17th 05, 08:10 PM
md

wrote in message
oups.com...
md wrote:

[...]

Jack, makes sense. Enjoy !
--
md
10" LX200GPS-SMT

Old June 17th 05, 11:37 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On 17 Jun 2005 10:13:43 -0700, "
wrote:

md wrote:

[...]

Ah, so this is why you haven't posted to rec.crafts.jewelry recently.
You've moved to sewing!

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old June 18th 05, 12:51 AM

Marilee J. Layman wrote:

Ah, so this is why you haven't posted to rec.crafts.jewelry recently.
You've moved to sewing!

You are very astute. Yes but I still cut a stone now and then and made
another chain a few weeks ago and my next project is to make my wife a
martini glass(silver) like mine.

As a point of interest, I got a terrible case of tennis elbow from
pounding on silver.

Sewing (tailoring) is an interesting study which I like to compare to
the more masculine craft of woodworking. My shop contains about ten
motorized machines that are almost required for every project. Only
one machine is needed to construct an equally complex thing like the
coat featured in the current Photo of the week.

js

Old June 18th 05, 06:18 PM
Ike

wrote in message
oups.com...
My entire observatory and everything in it is offered for sale.

This includes the Astrophysics 1200 mount, 16" f4 newt, 10" f6 newt, 8"
f5 newt and 4" f4 and rings for mounting any of them on the AP1200.

Also included is the Starlight Xpress MX716/C CCD camera and just about
everything else shown on my web site.

For pictures and more info on the equipment and about 500 images taken
with this equipment since 1995, browse http://schmidling.com/astro.htm

I am asking $12,000 for the entire lot. Purchaser to pick up or pay
shipping charges.

Jack Schmidling
Marengo, Illinois

Gone off the deep end Jack? Too many clouds all too often?

Old June 19th 05, 10:39 AM

To JATO

This morning I found myself explaining to a participant here that it
is the Earth rotating in and out of its orbital shadow rather than
sunrise/sunset (which is the common currency among celestial
cataloguers) and I assure you that you cannot get any worse than that.

The Equation of Time principles which equalise Keplerian orbital motion
in order to facilitate the isolation of axial rotation from its
orbital motion was an exquisite outrigger developed by the early
heliocentrists and spured the development of accurate clocks based on
that motion.

This man walks away from what he imagines is astronomy but it is
really astrophotography he is walking away from, for no person or group
of people would adhere to inferior and cartoon conceptions when you
look out from the Earth and such things as what constitutes the value
for constant axial rotation,without which it is impossible to do
astronomy or much else where the motions of the Earth are concerned.

Ultimately astronomers are born insofar as it is an intuitive gift
therefore owning a telescope is a poor imitator in what it means to be
part of the great sweeping history of astronomy stretching back to
remote antiquity.No offense to JTaylor and many like him who know no
better,genuine astronomy and disciplines where accurate descriptions
of the Earth's motions are required are being starved by Newtonian
quasi-geocentricity and relativistic homocentricity,the most
anti-astronomy concepts ever to appear on the planet.

Jack here should read the fiction of H.G. Wells and satisfy himself
that he participated in an intellectual holocaust that reduced and
diluted the highest faculties of human reasoning, which are always
associated with astronomy, to a sci-fi and cartoon
cataloguing/theoretical conceptions.

No astronomer would stomach what passes under the astronomical name yet
the incredible consensus which supports a fictional astronomical view
owes much to Jack and fellow cataloguers.Whatever is left of his
life,his output so far is to destroy appreciation of the heliocentric
principles we inherited and so it goes for all anti-astronomy
participants here.

"'Now, it is very remarkable that this is so extensively
overlooked,' continued the Time Traveller, with a slight accession of
cheerfulness. 'Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension,
though some people who talk about the Fourth Dimension do not know they
mean it. It is only another way of looking at Time. There is no
difference between time and any of the three dimensions of space except
that our consciousness moves along it. But some foolish people have got
hold of the wrong side of that idea. You have all heard what they have
to say about this Fourth Dimension?'"

http://www.bartleby.com/1000/1.html

Old June 19th 05, 08:48 PM
-JATO

Like I said it all depends on who you are and what you are interested in.

Also some people just like looking at the sky. They don't have to know how
it all works.

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org