amateur astronomer found blown to pieces, double-stacked PST found nearby

Old September 19th 11, 06:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_5_]

Default amateur astronomer found blown to pieces, double-stacked PST found nearby

What the subject line said.

I already had an SM40 from, oh geez, probably almost
a decade ago, so from what I'd heard, it made sense to
buy a PST to double-stack the SM40 on it.

Oh yes.

The detail is really quite something--just about the best
I imagine you could get from a 40 mm scope. With
just the PST, there's a lot of scatter in the image, which
reduced contrast; with just the SM40 on my Ranger, the
details were there, but not as distinct. The two of them
put together made the Sun fierce and unsubtle. A few
caveats: The PST comes with the 5 mm blocking filter;
I bought my SM40 with a 10 mm blocking filter, so the
PST had a bit more vignetting than I was accustomed
to. There is no way (as far as I can tell, at least) that
one can replace the blocking filter in the PST. The PST
comes with a helical tuning ring; the SM40 comes with
a small tuning knob. These are adjusted together to
tilt the two filters so as to obtain the best image. I think
they tilt along the same axis, because there's a kind of
linear vignetting that (in my case) goes diagonally across
the field of view.

Still, for only an extra $500 or so (I bought the PST at
PATS in Pasadena, and got the case thrown in as a
freebie), it's a fantastic deal.

--
Brian Tung (posting from Google Groups)
The Astronomy Corner at http://www.astronomycorner.net/
Old September 19th 11, 06:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sep 19, 7:00*pm, Brian Tung wrote:
[...]

Brian,what am I going to do with you and the rest,here is another one
from your FAQ that needs serious attention as there is a modification
involved -

"What it is, actually, is the Earth's rotation. If the Earth didn't
rotate, then all the stars would stay in place, and observing the
night sky at high power would be easy. Of course, day and night would
last about 4,380 hours each, leading to baking temperatures during the
day and way below freezing at night." Tung

Now Brian,if the Earth didn't have a daily rotation,the stars would
move as there is a separate daylight/darkness cycle arising from the
orbital motion of the Earth with a traveling axis which runs North to
South through the center of the Earth from Arctic to Antarctic
circles,that rotation to the central Sun is about to turn the polar
coordinates through the circle of illumination.It is that motion which
causes the constellation Orion to disappear from the celestial arena
each year and if you have difficulties,there is always the imitation
analogy using a broom to substitute from the polar coordinates and a
fixed external object to maintain a focus for how the Earth turns 360
degrees in a period coincident with the orbital cycle of the Earth to
all stars including our central Sun.While this orbital component is
largely obscured by daily stellar circumpolar motion,the principles of
the polar daylight/darkness cycle as a window into this motion is
beyond doubt,either that or check the East/West component of Uranus

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/...gs_changes.jpg

Can I not trust you to modify your FAQ to take into account what
contemporary imaging is dictating so no Brian,if the Earth didn't
rotate the stars would appear to move and in 365 days 5 hours 49
minutes they would move in a complete 360 degree cycle,if they didn't
you would have big problems.

Old September 19th 11, 07:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Staup

"oriel36" wrote in message
[...]

you say:
"If the Earth didn't rotate, then all the stars would stay in place, and
observing the night sky at high power would be easy."

obviously you have never looked through a scope at high power! the limiting
factor is NOT the earth's rotation....it's the seeing (atmospheric
instability)

Old September 19th 11, 08:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sep 19, 8:37*pm, "David Staup" wrote:
"oriel36" wrote in message

* "If the Earth didn't rotate, then all the stars would stay in place, and
observing the night sky at high power would be easy."

obviously you have never looked through a scope at high power! the limiting
factor is NOT the earth's rotation....it's the seeing (atmospheric
instability)

I said the opposite,in the absence of daily rotation,the Earth has a
single daylight/darkness cycle with the polar coordinates acting as a
window into this orbital component.It is by far the single largest
modification in astronomy as it introduces a traveling axis about
which the polar coordinates,representative of all locations on
Earth,turn with respect to the central Sun with a 360 degree rotation
coincident with the orbital period of the planet.

The Earth's daily rotation and orbital motion have very definitive
parameters separately and in combination with the effects linking
variations in the length of the natural noon cycle tied to the
explanation for the seasons,both involving dual axes corresponding to
two separate daylight/darkness cycles.The polar daylight/darkness
cycle is easily understood using an imitation analogy or drawing on
the unique features of Uranus which provide an orbital longitude
meridian for the planetary orbital trait,in the 7 year period
shown,the orbital turning of Uranus is roughly 30 degree -

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/...gs_changes.jpg

You are part of a cult so I don't expect anything further from
you,the sequence of images require an able interpreter and they are
hard to come by presently,in short,the seasons are explained by two
dynamics and not 'tilt' to the Sun or anything else,the seasons are
caused by two separate rotations to the central Sun indicative of two
motions with the polar daylight/darkness cycle reflecting the orbital
trait.I need people to either snap out of their lethargy or grow up
insofar as the study of global climate hasn't even started yet.

Old September 19th 11, 08:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Sep 19, 9:24*pm, oriel36 wrote:
hasn't even started yet.

Talking of feckwits.. if the cap fits, wear it.

Try not to wear it out. Nor your welcome.
Old September 19th 11, 08:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

"What it is, actually, is the Earth's rotation. If the Earth didn't
rotate, then all the stars would stay in place, and observing the
night sky at high power would be easy." Brian Tung

So Brian,you can open up a productive discussion from a single
statement ,everything from the modified explanation for the seasons ,
why a satellite in a Sun-Synchronous orbit registers the orbital
turning of the Earth to the central Sun beneath it,how the calendar
system meshes with the daily and orbital motions of the Earth or the
many hundreds of different issues that will emerge as the explanation
for the polar daylight/darkness cycle becomes clearer.

Even the constellations spotters should tell you that certain stars
disappear over the course of a year so,the stars would appear to move
a little less than one degree in 24 hours about the same axis as the
polar coordinates turn in a circle/cycle to the central Sun.When they
put a telescope at a great distance from the Earth,perhaps on one of
the moons of an outer planet, and looking back they will see roughly
what we see of Uranus.

So,like it or not you get the privilege of having you FAQ reworked to
something positive.