Which CCD camera?

Old May 24th 04, 08:59 AM
Tim Kearsley

Default Which CCD camera?

Ian,

Thanks to yourself and Derrick for the clarification. My sincere
apologies for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Regards,

Tim Kearsley

(Ian King) wrote in message . com...
Tim

I work for BC&F and I can tell you categorically that CCD Planet is
nothing to do with BC&F or Telescope House.

Derrick summarised the situation very well.

Regards

Ian King

Old June 16th 04, 12:33 AM
Chuck

I'm looking for a CCD camera in the $1000.00 range for my N11. Used or
new. ST237a's with color wheels go for about that, but the lack of a
guiding chip and the fact that they're discontinued is a minus. I'm looking
at used ST-7s which I could upgrade later to USB or the Starlight Xpress
cameras. Any help would be appreciated ...

--

Clear Skies,

Chuck

"David Nakamoto" wrote in message
But the Starlight Xpress cameras can autoguide on any star in the field of
view, at the expense of sensitivity of course. I don't see where this is
poses a problem with mirror shift on an SCT. Also, the high cost of the
SBIG cameras, some of them at least, weigh against them, unless price is

no
option, but I thought we were amateurs here, so we're cash strapped,

either
because we just bought that 36-inch Dob on an equatorial platform and have
to pay for the hospital bills for the hernias we got trying to move it, or
because we're married. ^_^
--
Sincerely,
--- Dave

A man is a god in ruins.
--- Duke Ellington

"Roger Hamlett" wrote in message

"David Nakamoto" wrote in message
I personally recommend the Starlight Xpress cameras from personal
experience. Software's robust and easy to use, technical help is

there
and
knowledgeable, if at times it takes a few days to get back to you.

The
cameras are light-weight, robust, and take great pictures.

Autotracking
is
good and flexible.

Of course, SBIG also has good cameras, but I believe Starlight Xpress

is
just as good and at better prices.

Good Luck!

For the money, the Starlight cameras are good. However on an SCT, the

guide
CCD in the SBIG cameras, allows them to correct for the some of the

effects
of mirror shift. Realistically, on a 12" LX200, you will need a field
flattener for any but the smaller CCD's, and this makes better use of

the
image scale on most CCD's. For photometry on the LX200, I'd consider a
ST10XME, with the AO7, and a focal reducer/flattener to about 0.75*

(AP).
The software with the SBIG cameras, is a 'class ahead' of that with the
Starlight cameras. The current releases of the Starlight software work

OK,
but most people wanting to do more automation, end up buying another

package
like AstroArt or Maxim. The latter offers the best scripting interface.
Alternatively, the Starlight SXV, combined with an OAG, and perhaps

Maxim
DL/CCD, is a lot cheaper (smaller CCD), but offers excellent noise
performance. At present there is not a high speed guide system like the

AO7,
but this may be going to change in the near future.
The 12" LX200, is fairly heavy for it's mount, requiring some 'tweaking'

get guiding reasonably, and the AO7, makes all the difference on these
mounts.

Best Wishes

"Johan van der Walt" wrote in message
Hi there!

My name is Johan and I am working in the Physics Department of the
North-West University
in South Africa. A couple of years ago we bought a 12" Meade LX200

as
well
as a
Pictor 416XT CCD camera. The decision on the Pictor 416XT was sort

of
rushed decision
since we had very little time to write the application for the

funding
of
the equipment.
Now it seems as if the 416XT was not a good decision. I never was

really
satisfied with
its performance and with the Meade software that came with it.

We now have the opportunity to again apply for funding and I would

like
submit an
application to buy a better CCD camera. We use it for student

practicals
and would like
to use it for multi-color photometry. Autoguiding is quite

important.
So
is good
software.

I shall appreciate it if someone can give me good advice on what to

buy.
Budget is
limited as usual but any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Johan van der Walt

Old June 16th 04, 09:26 PM
Szaki

You can have mine, Starlight Xpress HX716 16 bit camera. Bought it over a
year ago, but never used it.
Can send you more details and photos, if you're intrested.

Julius