ASTRO: Crab before season ends

Old March 13th 07, 07:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Crab before season ends

This is the first image I have posted here this year

Conditions haven't been good and I have been doing some new things but
Saturday I had good conditions and some time to image so I shot 70 minutes
in the Crab with broadband

The seeing was good, the best I have experienced since September

but there was threatening fog and that stopped me after shooting only 7
exposures

here's what I got

it would look a lot better with 4-5 hours exposure but 70 minutes is all I
got.

full rez and a color image showing a new method can be found here

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m1_...eg_ed_page.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m1_mk1sn2_cm10_geg_ed_7x10min_svga[1].jpg
Views:	288
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	523
Old March 13th 07, 06:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
This is the first image I have posted here this year

Conditions haven't been good and I have been doing some new things but
Saturday I had good conditions and some time to image so I shot 70 minutes
in the Crab with broadband

The seeing was good, the best I have experienced since September

but there was threatening fog and that stopped me after shooting only 7
exposures

here's what I got

it would look a lot better with 4-5 hours exposure but 70 minutes is all I
got.

full rez and a color image showing a new method can be found here

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m1_...eg_ed_page.htm

Welcome back. It's been a very slow winter here. I've been bitching
about nothing but clouds yet everyone else has had it far worse it
seems. Doug's had nothing but bad weather, Stefan's had it nearly as
bad with only a couple new images. George N hasn't been heard from
since the heavy snows hit NY. Larry has been held up on the sun due to
weather and it's being at the bottom of the cycle so not as much going
on but boy are the shots he does get spectacular. A few others from
time to time and a flurry with the eclipse from those east of here. It
was over by the time it cleared my trees and still below the roof line
of the observatory anyway.

So you haven't missed much. So you keeping secret this color stuff
until fall?

Rick

Old March 13th 07, 09:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Richard,

very impressive result, one of the best unfiltered shots of the crab I have
seen (I think this was without any narrow band filters?).
Good to see you back again, most of us seem to have been plagued with bad
weather...

Stefan

.. .

Old March 14th 07, 06:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Good FOV for the Crab with your FR. Nice detail and stars too.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
.. .

Old March 14th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
.. .
This is the first image I have posted here this year

Conditions haven't been good and I have been doing some new things but
Saturday I had good conditions and some time to image so I shot 70
minutes in the Crab with broadband

The seeing was good, the best I have experienced since September

but there was threatening fog and that stopped me after shooting only 7
exposures

here's what I got

it would look a lot better with 4-5 hours exposure but 70 minutes is all
I got.

full rez and a color image showing a new method can be found here

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m1_...eg_ed_page.htm

Very nice image, Richard. And welcome back. I am glad that you decided
not to stay away for good.

George

Old March 15th 07, 02:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Hey thanks for the nice comments, it feels good to have some images to share
again (finally).

It is spring here in northern California and we seem to be showing signs of
better imaging weather coming up.

It was quite good on sat night when I got that crab lum shot but the seeing
has been softer since but still clear

I've been unable to shoot many images for the same reason as the rest of us,
the weather's not been on my side but I will say that it is far better this
year than last imaging wise. But the Jan/Feb/March timeframe is typically
rainy for us. Last year it kept up until mid May but I had those two 18"
Cassegrains I had just completed construction so that surely cursed the
weather for a bit longer than usual :-). As I said when I checked out, I had
some new things I wanted to go do so the time off was used productively. I
had to travel to Asia for 10 days in mid Jan (the weather was clear for 7 of
the nights I was gone and it was in the new moon phase!) and I was on the
road for two weeks in Feb too. So there's not been much chance for imaging
for me.

Stefan, yes that was a luminance image and I think there's IR blocking but I
can't remember for sure. Had it been an emission line image the fog would
not have been visible running the high "Q" filters. The Crab is really
unique in that there are essentially two nebulae in one: there's the middle
part with the broadband synchrotron light and the fog and pulsar etc, and
then there's the filamentary shell confining the inner nebula. The filaments
are basically all line emission and the core is basically all broadband. it
is quite interesting to deconstruct it exploiting those characteristics and
then reassemble it as a composite shot. You can manipulate the lines
separately from the broadband and better accentuate or supress what
interests you.

I read in one book that "there are two kinds of astronomy: The Crab Nebula
and everything else." Based on my studies on the many rainy nights I've had
this year and while travelling in Asia during the middle of Jan, and the two
weeks I was travelling in Feb, I tend to agree. It is a most fascinating
object and it is truly unique, if only in the Northern Hemisphere.

But it is waning at the moment and now that I have a stretch of possible
imaging conditions I am really trying to get that killer shot applying all
that I have learned and included in that color image at the bottom of the
page. I assembled that with lower resolution data that was the only thing I
could capture when the conditions permitted: the AP180 for the emission line
stuff and the big cass for the closeup of the core. I did them at the same
time but the AP180 with the 6303 just doesn't zoom in like the CM10 on the
big cassegrain: the Cass has twice the focal length and the pixels are 2/3
the size on the linear dimension. It would have been better to swap cameras
but there were some other considerations that made that an impractical and
therefore risky thing to try on the only good night I had so far this year.

Rick I am just not quite ready to talk about what I did differently because
I need to have something to talk about at the conference :-) But really I
want to shoot some of the spring galaxies and summer nebulae so I can do a
quick survey to see what I can find that looks cool. The winter stuff is
more or less in the trees at my home by about 11pm and the galaxies are on
the rise at that time. Then just before sunrise the summer nebulae are
getting into position if the fog hasn't moved in as it so often does.

Give me a bit more time to work on this stuff and get the kinks out first.