What Science is ISS Giving Us?

Old September 22nd 04, 08:24 AM
Richard Alexander

Default What Science is ISS Giving Us?

I see that the Mars rover missions got their 2nd 6-month extension
today. That's great news, because it is far less expensive and much
safer to use the rovers already on Mars than to send rovers to Mars,
and we have been getting great science data from the rovers. At $835
million, we are certainly getting a great deal out of the rovers.
Which, leads me to my question: What value are we getting from ISS?

We began working on ISS several years ago; technically, it grew out of
Space Station "Freedom," after the U.S.-only station seemed too
expensive to Congress. ISS almost got the budget ax many times,
particularly around 1996, but public outcry kept it alive. Now, we
have a budget of over a billion dollars a year to keep ISS alive. What
is it giving us? What is it likely ever to give us, apart from a very
expensive streak in the sky?
Old September 22nd 04, 12:41 PM
bob haller

I see that the Mars rover missions got their 2nd 6-month extension
today. That's great news, because it is far less expensive and much
safer to use the rovers already on Mars than to send rovers to Mars,
and we have been getting great science data from the rovers. At $835
million, we are certainly getting a great deal out of the rovers.
Which, leads me to my question: What value are we getting from ISS?

We began working on ISS several years ago; technically, it grew out of
Space Station "Freedom," after the U.S.-only station seemed too
expensive to Congress. ISS almost got the budget ax many times,
particularly around 1996, but public outcry kept it alive. Now, we
have a budget of over a billion dollars a year to keep ISS alive. What
is it giving us? What is it likely ever to give us, apart from a very
expensive streak in the sky?

Some dead astronauts and another lost shuttle if we RTF.

Science never was high on the ISS list of things to do, now its off the
bottom....

ISS and shuttle are co dependent on one another take the 5 BILLION dollar a
year shuttle budget and combine it with the ISS budget which is basically all
the remaing manned space spending.

What do we have?

A complete waste of resources!!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old September 22nd 04, 11:47 PM
bob haller

Which leads me to my question: Would you move into a house before the
foundation is cured, and bitch about the lack of a roof?

it will never be finished, as designed it requires way too much maintenance,
leaving little time for science, even with a crew of 3.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old September 23rd 04, 10:33 AM
Revision

"Richard Alexander"
What is it giving us?

The answers are on the web.

Primary results to date include lots of studies in space physiology,
materials science, flame dynamics, biology, and of course testing
technologies and systems related to space station systems/technology,
i.e. environmental systems, nav, propulsion, power, etc.

Old September 23rd 04, 12:01 PM
bob haller

Primary results to date include lots of studies in space physiology,
materials science, flame dynamics, biology, and of course testing
technologies and systems related to space station systems/technology,
i.e. environmental systems, nav, propulsion, power, etc.

please note the current research yrack has been changed, to one emphasizing
long term stays in orbit

this means the previous research wasnt very valuable..
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old September 23rd 04, 12:05 PM
bob haller

it will never be finished, as designed it requires way too much maintenance,
leaving little time for science, even with a crew of 3.

More ignorant bull**** from bbo.

plonk
--

Ahh scheduled completion 2010, then the US shuttle is permanetely grounded, and
we havent replaced it or the soyuz yet, ISS the manned station with no way to

Then the US supposedly moves on to moon mars, at the latest 100 billion dollar
cost that program is a abortion...
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old September 24th 04, 03:30 AM
bob haller

Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premises. Other possible
conclusions a

a) the previous research was valuable, but not sustainable in current
environment
b) the previous research was valuable, but does not support revised
goals
c) the previous research was valuable, but the PI's lost political
power
d) the previous research was valuable, but the PI's retired
e) the previous research was valuable, but follow-on experiments will
not be ready for some time.

Additional information, not included in your post, is required to
select from the 6 conclusions.

/dps

You neglected to mention the research had little value and had been done
repeatedly on MIR.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!