Jonathan's Space Report No. 535

Old September 24th 04, 10:53 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default Jonathan's Space Report No. 535

Jonathan's Space Report
No. 535 2004 Sep 24, Mumbai
---

* EDUSAT

The Indian Space Research Organization successfully launched the
GSLV-F-01 rocket carrying the EDUSAT satellite on Sep 20 from the Satish
Dhawan Space Center at Sriharikota. The satellite reached a 162 x 35814
km x 19.3 deg geostationary transfer orbit. EDUSAT (GSAT-3) is a 820 kg
satellite carrying 1130 kg of propellant and a 440N ISRO-built liquid
apogee motor used on the larger INSAT 2/3 satellites; the satellite is
2.4 x 1.6m across at launch with a 10.9m span across the deployed solar
panels. The launch is good news for ISRO, following a tragic explosion
at the launch site in February in which six workers died.

* SJ-6

China launched a pair of scientific satellites on Sep 8. Shi Jian 6A
and Shi Jian 6B were carried on a single Chang Zheng 4B rocket from
the Taiyuan space center.

The satellites were inserted into a 590 x 602 km x 97.7 deg orbit,
together with a small adapter. A fourth object in a lower, more eccentric
529 x 637 km orbit is probably the CZ-4B third stage rocket.

* NROL-1

Reports from observers indicate that the Centaur AC-167 rocket is in a
lower apogee orbit than anticipated, around 255 x 15370 km x 57.4 deg. A
prelaunch announcement that the Centaur would deliver the payload to an
'ascent trajectory' suggests to me that this is the intended transfer
orbit (rather than a failure) and the USA 179 payload will probably use
(or has already used) an onboard engine to reach a final orbit which I
still expect to have an apogee of around 39000 km.

* 'Ofeq

Noah Brosch informs me that, according to Israeli media, in the Sep 6
Israeli launch failure the third stage failed to separate from the
second stage, preventing third stage burn.

* Strela-3

Kosmos-2408 and 2409, two Strela-3 military communications satellites,
were launched by a Kosmos-3M from Plesetsk on Sep 23.

Table of Recent Launches
-----------------------

Date UT Name Launch Vehicle Site Mission
INTL.

DES.

Aug 3 0616 MESSENGER Delta 7925H Canaveral SLC17B Probe
30A
Aug 4 2232 Amazonas Proton-M/Briz-M Baykonur LC200/39 Comms
31A
Aug 11 0503 Progress M-50 Soyuz-U Baykonur LC1 Cargo
32A
Aug 29 0750 JB-4? CZ-2C Jiuquan Imaging
33A
Aug 31 2317 USA 179 (NROL-1) Atlas IIAS Canaveral LC36A Comms?
34A
Sep 6 1053 'Ofeq-6 Shaviyt Palmachim Imaging
F01
Sep 8 2314 SJ-6A ) CZ-4B Taiyuan Science
35A
SJ-6B ) Science
35B
Sep 20 1031 EDUSAT GSLV SDSC Comms
36A
Sep 23 1507 Kosmos-2408 ) Kosmos-3M Plesetsk Comms
37A
Kosmos-2409 ) Comms
37B

..-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Jonathan McDowell | phone : (617) 495-7176 |
| Somerville MA 02143 | inter :

| USA |

| |
| JSR:
http://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html |
| Back issues: http://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back |
| Subscribe/unsub: mail , (un)subscribe jsr |

--

Jacques :-)

www.spacepatches.info