Story Musgrave disses ISS

Old April 22nd 10, 10:16 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Quadibloc

Default Story Musgrave disses ISS

On Apr 22, 4:35*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
You have been served, space station:

I guess the general idea is that the U.S. either has to keep spending
money on the Space Station, or they would have to hand it over to the
Russians as a gift. I can see no other reason to waste money on it.

John Savard
Old April 22nd 10, 10:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
GordonD

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
You have been served, space station:
http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...-flight/39212/

Dear God, I read that as 'Story Musgrave *dies*.'
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Old April 22nd 10, 11:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

You have been served, space station:
http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...-flight/39212/

Pat
Old April 23rd 10, 06:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Neil Gerace[_3_]

GordonD wrote:

Dear God, I read that as 'Story Musgrave *dies*.'

I have to say, so did I.
Old April 23rd 10, 10:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 4/22/2010 9:04 PM, Neil Gerace wrote:
GordonD wrote:

Dear God, I read that as 'Story Musgrave *dies*.'

I have to say, so did I.

You know, I sometimes screw up on spelling...I never screwed up _that_
badly on spelling. :-)

Pat
Old April 23rd 10, 02:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
You have been served, space station:
http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...-flight/39212/

From above:

"[The Space Station] does nothing for nobody and it never has,"
he says. "The cost of space station is 300 Voyager-class
satellites. We could have had multiple Voyagers landed or
floating in the atmosphere on every planet and on every moon of
every planet. That is what we gave up when we went with a jobs
program, which is what the space station is. And that's an
ungodly sin. And yes, I'm a human space flight person, but
listen to me. That's what we could have offered the public."

What he says is sort of true, at least as far as "exploration" goes. While
there is lots of experimentation on ISS, it's not exactly "exploring". And
yes, it's cost so much money (especially if you include the costs of the
shuttle program as used to support the ISS program), it's pretty much
gobbled up most of the manned spaceflight budget for decades.

I wouldn't mind seeing a suspension of the manned space program (outside of
ISS and Orion-lite) for the next 5 years just so we can get our house in
order. NASA currently spends far too much money on manned space programs
and too little on research and true exploration. I'd like to see a
LOX/kerosene engine developed in that timeframe so we can get rid of the
large segmented solids once and for all.

Any HLV built today would surely use large segmented solids and I've thought
they were a bad idea all the way back to the Challenger disaster, and my
opinion of them drops with every bit of new information I read about them.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old April 23rd 10, 03:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Glen Overby[_1_]

Jeff Findley wrote:
What he says is sort of true, at least as far as "exploration" goes. While
there is lots of experimentation on ISS, it's not exactly "exploring". And
yes, it's cost so much money (especially if you include the costs of the
shuttle program as used to support the ISS program), it's pretty much
gobbled up most of the manned spaceflight budget for decades.

The first flaw in his argument is arguing for unmanned over manned. Human
spaceflight is about humans flying, not about humans building robots to fly.
I've observed that the humans-vs-robots argument is a fairly polarizing one:
either you're for HSF or you're against it.

I thought the real purpose of building a space station was to learn how to
live and work in space. We do that in earth orbit so we can try many
different things to see which one works best and, if the worst happens, be
able to evacuate the station and come home.

A space station could also be used to assemble the parts of the larger
spacecraft that leaves earth orbit. This technique was advocated by some for
the moon landing. Whether ISS is in an orbit that is useful for that is
something I'll leave to those who understand orbits better than I do.

I wouldn't mind seeing a suspension of the manned space program (outside of
ISS and Orion-lite) for the next 5 years just so we can get our house in
order. NASA currently spends far too much money on manned space programs

You're willing to sacrifice human spaceflight for robotic spaceflight. You
might want to check with the astronaut corps on that one

Glen Overby
Old April 23rd 10, 06:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Glen Overby" wrote in message
Jeff Findley wrote:
[...]

True, but in practice, Mir has shown that the astronauts, and the engieners
on the ground, are very reluctant to evacuate a space station even in the
face of life threatening situations like fire and decompression. One of the
main reasons for this is that they're designed to be operated and maintained
by astronauts on the spot. Without continuous manned operations and
maintenance, there is the very real possibility that something critical will
break that can't be fixed from the ground.

A space station could also be used to assemble the parts of the larger
spacecraft that leaves earth orbit. This technique was advocated by some
for
the moon landing. Whether ISS is in an orbit that is useful for that is
something I'll leave to those who understand orbits better than I do.

It could, but considering its high inclination orbit, it's not in an ideal
location for such a task. The high inclination causes a payload penalty for
anything launched from a lower lattitude, like KSC. Also, tt could be done,
but it would likely wreck the zero gravity environemnt inside its labs,
which might not make the international partners very happy since they've
spent quite a bit of their own money to build and fly their attached labs.

I wouldn't mind seeing a suspension of the manned space program (outside
of
ISS and Orion-lite) for the next 5 years just so we can get our house in
order. NASA currently spends far too much money on manned space programs

You're willing to sacrifice human spaceflight for robotic spaceflight.
You
might want to check with the astronaut corps on that one

For the next five years. We have far too many astronauts as it is. A five
year pause in flights (except for ISS, which will provide precious few
flights without the shuttle) will only weed out the surplus that won't be
needed in the future.

Jeff

Old April 23rd 10, 08:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
[email protected]

You're willing to sacrifice human spaceflight for robotic spaceflight. �You
might want to check with the astronaut corps on that one

Glen Overby

There wouldnt be many astronauts left to comment....... since most
will have moved on to other jobs....

Old April 23rd 10, 09:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,alt.atheism
Fevric J. Glandules

Jonathan wrote:

what is the hope, of life here on Earth? Hubble is symbolic
for a knowledge machine that is potentially able to link
cosmology, theology, philosophy and astronomy. It is able
to hold a mirror to humanity -- the kind of mirror
that says 'What kind of universe is it, and what is our
place in it? Who are we, and who should we be?'"

Or indeed, 'Is it just me, or is that a little fuzzy? Do I
need a new pair of spectacles?'.

TAL Story Danny Deger Space Shuttle 2 May 16th 07 08:09 PM
The End of This Story Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer) History 15 June 24th 05 08:17 AM
Kudos to Musgrave [email protected] History 38 January 1st 05 09:24 PM
Story Musgrave Bryan Ashcraft Space Shuttle 70 August 2nd 04 11:38 PM