CSI Miami throws science out the window, again

Old November 4th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,sci.astro.amateur,alt.tv.csi
Tony Harding

Default CSI Miami throws science out the window, again

William December Starr wrote:
In article ,
Mark Nobles said:

Thanatos wrote:

Are you kidding me? They've done the "infinite zoom" thing
repeatedly on the Vegas show, just like the other two CSI shows,
where they take some grainy security camera footage and zoom in
to read a clothing label or a note in a person's hand or some
other ridiculous thing.

I have never seen anything on that show resembling this in any
way. They have done some very limited "sharpening" of pictures,
but it almost never gives them any useful information - maybe a
digit or two of a license plate, but never the kind of stuff they
do on Miami or Numbers.

Did you see the "CSI" episode that Faye Dunaway guest starred in[1]?

If I recall correctly they had a security camera image, from about
twenty feet away, of a parked car with something that the suspect
had put on the roof for a moment, and they enhanced the image enough
to be able to tell that it was a print-it-yourself airline ticket
(or boarding pass, I forget which) with a two-dimensional
data-encoding "UPC" on it, and then they enhanced it some more and
got a clear enough image of *that* to tell what date and flight it
was for.

*1: "Kiss-Kiss, Bye-Bye" Episode Number: 130 Season Num: 6 First
Aired: Thursday January 26, 2006

I remember the episode well - she had the fakest looking teeth I can
remember seeing.
Old November 8th 07, 04:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ron Hammon

Fred Ziffle wrote:

snip

The farthest a gun can shoot is when it's aimed at 45° up.

snip

Well, this is true except for, as far as I know, only one case, the
"Paris Gun".

"The gunners had a new experience with the Paris Cannon. The old range
tables were no good in calculating shots through the upper atmosphere.
Because of bad calculation of the height of the first shot, it landed in
a clergyman's garden, eleven kilometres beyond where it was aimed. It
was necessary to take the rarified atmosphere and the curvature of the
earth into account. The ideal angle of the cannon was not 45 degrees,
but 52 degrees. At an apogee of 40 kms, it could shoot a distance of 124
kms, taking 3 1/2 minutes for the shell to land."

http://www.nthposition.com/bullandharp.php

Hi, I'm new here. I've played on groups for years, but just found this
one. I removed the crossposting.

Ron Hammon