CSI Miami throws science out the window, again

Old November 3rd 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,sci.astro.amateur,alt.tv.csi
Thanatos

Default CSI Miami throws science out the window, again

In article ,
Mark Nobles wrote:

Anim8rFSK wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
David Johnston wrote:
Anim8rFSK wrote:

Is it like "Bones" where Booth the FBI agent lets Bones (the forensic
anthropologist) to take the lead in a similar situation?
Yeah, well, Bones shouldn't even HAVE a gun.

Assuming she has a license, why wouldn't she have a gun?
Assuming she lives in metro DC, civilians can't GET a license. Even if
she lives outside, they can't carry in DC, IIRC.

Plus she carries it concealed, and she crosses state lines all over the
place.

I just assume she is "deputized" as a federal agent

There's no such thing. Either you're a federal agent or you're not.
Unlike various state laws that allow for deputizing civilians, federal
law does not allow for such things.
Old November 3rd 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,sci.astro.amateur,alt.tv.csi
Anim8rFSK

In article ,
Thanatos wrote:

In article ,
Mark Nobles wrote:

Anim8rFSK wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
David Johnston wrote:
Anim8rFSK wrote:

Is it like "Bones" where Booth the FBI agent lets Bones (the
forensic
anthropologist) to take the lead in a similar situation?
Yeah, well, Bones shouldn't even HAVE a gun.

Assuming she has a license, why wouldn't she have a gun?
Assuming she lives in metro DC, civilians can't GET a license. Even if
she lives outside, they can't carry in DC, IIRC.

Plus she carries it concealed, and she crosses state lines all over the
place.

I just assume she is "deputized" as a federal agent

There's no such thing. Either you're a federal agent or you're not.
Unlike various state laws that allow for deputizing civilians, federal
law does not allow for such things.

So could she be deputized by every state surrounding DC, or would that
just be silly?

--
Jitterbug phone works! (Third time's a charm!)
Old November 3rd 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,sci.astro.amateur
Michael Black

Anim8rFSK ) writes:
In article ,
Mark Nobles wrote:

Anim8rFSK wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
David Johnston wrote:
Anim8rFSK wrote:

Is it like "Bones" where Booth the FBI agent lets Bones (the forensic
anthropologist) to take the lead in a similar situation?
Yeah, well, Bones shouldn't even HAVE a gun.

Assuming she has a license, why wouldn't she have a gun?
Assuming she lives in metro DC, civilians can't GET a license. Even if
she lives outside, they can't carry in DC, IIRC.

Plus she carries it concealed, and she crosses state lines all over the
place.

I just assume she is "deputized" as a federal agent, so she can be
Boothe's partner, and state laws don't apply.

That would be NICE, but they don't seem to be playing it that way.

Worse still is BoaVista over on Miami Vice, who is apparently some
private citizen who does police work and now wants a gun for kicks.

Didn't she have a gone when her ex-husband was hanging around?

I thought as he moved into the field, there was an obligation that
she be armed, and hence the need to be able to use the thing.

The problem with that is that she's been out in the field for a while.

I think because of this thread, I noticed in CSI:NY this week that
two of the CSIs were referred to as "detectives". Which seems to
better place them, in terms of their role and their being out there
in the field. Though that doesn't explain why they spend so much
time in the lab.

Michael

Old November 3rd 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,sci.astro.amateur
Anim8rFSK

In article ,
(Michael Black) wrote:

Anim8rFSK ) writes:
In article ,
Mark Nobles wrote:

Anim8rFSK wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
David Johnston wrote:
Anim8rFSK wrote:

Is it like "Bones" where Booth the FBI agent lets Bones (the
forensic
anthropologist) to take the lead in a similar situation?
Yeah, well, Bones shouldn't even HAVE a gun.

Assuming she has a license, why wouldn't she have a gun?
Assuming she lives in metro DC, civilians can't GET a license. Even if
she lives outside, they can't carry in DC, IIRC.

Plus she carries it concealed, and she crosses state lines all over the
place.

I just assume she is "deputized" as a federal agent, so she can be
Boothe's partner, and state laws don't apply.

That would be NICE, but they don't seem to be playing it that way.

Worse still is BoaVista over on Miami Vice, who is apparently some
private citizen who does police work and now wants a gun for kicks.

Didn't she have a gone when her ex-husband was hanging around?

Don't recall. She also lived in a ritzy neighborhood, for reasons they
never explained. I've always assumed she embezzeled part of that grant
money.

I thought as he moved into the field, there was an obligation that
she be armed, and hence the need to be able to use the thing.

No, she's doing this on her own, in secret.

The problem with that is that she's been out in the field for a while.

Yep.

I think because of this thread, I noticed in CSI:NY this week that
two of the CSIs were referred to as "detectives". Which seems to
better place them, in terms of their role and their being out there
in the field. Though that doesn't explain why they spend so much
time in the lab.

I have NO idea what half the people in CSI:Horatio are supposed to be
(yes, I know we've had this converastion before folks!)

For instance, this week, Horatio broke into somebody's place saying I'M
FROM THE CRIME LAB but Erik, breaking into somebody else's place, said
M-D P.D.!

Horatio does that a lot. I have no idea why when breaking into
somebody's place waving a gun you'd identify yourself as *anything* but
police, and use the word POLICE. I wouldn't say M-D P.D. either hoping
the guy inside with a shotgun will figure it out.

--
Jitterbug phone works! (Third time's a charm!)
Old November 3rd 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,sci.astro.amateur,alt.tv.csi
ruth

On Oct 31, 7:57 am, "Mike Minor" wrote:
"Thanatos" wrote in message

Chris L Peterson wrote:

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:17:07 -0700, Larry Bud
wrote:

A pretty good job? I mean, I like the show. Pretty graphics, cool
special effects, but science? No way.

I disagree. I rarely see serious scientific errors on CSI (Las Vegas).

Are you kidding me? They've done the "infinite zoom" thing repeatedly on
the Vegas show, just like the other two CSI shows, where they take some
grainy security camera footage and zoom in to read a clothing label or a
note in a person's hand or some other ridiculous thing.

And the Las Vegas Crime Lab seems to have a database for everything. I
about fell off my couch laughing one night when Stokes took a sofa upon
which a body was found and ran it through their "furniture database",
which not only instantly told him the exact make and model of the sofa,
but the exact store it was sold out of, when it was sold, and to whom.

But the real inaccuracies in the Vegas show (as well as the NY and Miami
shows) comes not in the science but in the law. The 4th, 5th and 6th
Amendments to the Constitution apparently do not exist in the world of
CSI.

They use the right techniques, and they
use the right equipment.

Not really. For example, they put all their evidence in see-through
plastic bags. That's not a good way to, for example, preserve
fingerprint evidence:

The use of clear envelopes because plastic can have
an adverse affect on the future development of latent
prints on items of evidence. The introduction of
excessive heat and humidity and the friction of evidence
against the clear plastic can have an adverse affect
on latent print development. Light, which permeates the
clear plastic, can also result in the degradation of
latent prints. Additionally, the American Society of
Crime Laboratory Directors / Laboratory Accreditation
Board requires that latent print evidence be stored
in paper envelopes (as is the generally accepted method).

Thanatos,

I feel your pain. As a someone in law enforcement, I'm sure that the show
eats at you from the inaccuracies that are constantly perpetuated.

I am a professionally trained medical laboratory technologist. You know, the
person who runs the tests when the Dr. sends the blood to the lab. A lot of
the instruments and tools that CSI use in the lab are the same that are used
in a medical lab. I see lots of inaccurate depictions in the lab.

There was an old medical drama show back in the 70's called Medical Center.
I remember watching one night, and the treating ER physician took a urine
specimen to the lab. He then went over to a hematology analyzer ( one that
does blood counts ), the same model that I used in our lab, and ran a test
on the urine sample in a whole blood analyzer. I was so mad, I turned off
the show and never watched it again. Not only did the Dr use the wrong
instrument for the specimen he had in his hand, but the thought of a
treating ER physician coming into the lab and even thinking of running the
test himself was ridiculous.

Thankfully, I've matured some in the last 30+ years and can now laugh at the
stupidity I see and still enjoy the show.

Mikey- Hide quoted text -

It kind of makes you wonder about the doctor or nurse on the
production staff as an advisor. Supposedly they are there to catch
those errors. ruth

Old November 4th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,sci.astro.amateur
will thacker

On Oct 30, 8:00 am, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:47:10 -0700, RichA wrote:
I love it. An eclipse that happens in high speed mode (if the idiots
staring at the partial eclipse had really done so for the duration (or
five minutes) the whole lot of them would be blind. Also, I like the
"enhanced" el cheap Meade telescope with special ultra-high resolution
optics. Plus, the coroner crowing about "da voodoo" set her character
as a literate, educated Black woman back about 50 years....

Let's see... you're talking about a show where the lead detective/CSI is
a creepy pedophile, and the coroner is a creepy necrophile, and you're
worried about some poor science? The original CSI is the only one of the
three that does a pretty good job with science in any case. How many TV
shows do?

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatoryhttp://www.cloudbait.com

One word: Numbers.

Old November 4th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,sci.astro.amateur
Thanatos

In article .com,
will thacker wrote:

On Oct 30, 8:00 am, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:47:10 -0700, RichA wrote:
I love it. An eclipse that happens in high speed mode (if the idiots
staring at the partial eclipse had really done so for the duration (or
five minutes) the whole lot of them would be blind. Also, I like the
"enhanced" el cheap Meade telescope with special ultra-high resolution
optics. Plus, the coroner crowing about "da voodoo" set her character
as a literate, educated Black woman back about 50 years....

Let's see... you're talking about a show where the lead detective/CSI is
a creepy pedophile, and the coroner is a creepy necrophile, and you're
worried about some poor science? The original CSI is the only one of the
three that does a pretty good job with science in any case. How many TV
shows do?

One word: Numbers.

Numb3ers also does a decent job with the police work, although I have to
question why the FBI is involved in many of the cases. A lot of them
involve crimes that aren't federal in nature.

Also, an FBI field office in a city as large as Los Angeles has
specialized squads (counter-intelligence, bank robbery, JTTF,
white-collar crime, etc.) and each squad only works those types of
cases. Don Epps's squad seems to have unlimited jurisdiction: terrorism
this week, international art theft next week, gambling fraud the week
before, etc.
Old November 4th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,sci.astro.amateur
William December Starr

In article ,
Anim8rFSK said:

For instance, this week, Horatio broke into somebody's place
saying I'M FROM THE CRIME LAB but Erik, breaking into
somebody else's place, said M-D P.D.!

Horatio does that a lot. I have no idea why when breaking
into somebody's place waving a gun you'd identify yourself
as *anything* but police, and use the word POLICE. I
wouldn't say M-D P.D. either hoping the guy inside with a
shotgun will figure it out.

"You kicked down my door because you have multi-discipline
personality disorder?"

--
William December Starr