Speers-Waler WA's (preliminary 3, the die is cast)

Old February 29th 04, 05:13 PM
Lawrence Sayre

Default Speers-Waler WA's (preliminary 3, the die is cast)

I made my first move today in an effort to achieve focus with my full set
of the new Speers-Waler WA's. I cut 2 cm off of each truss pole on my
13.1" f/5.23 Dob. This, and a low profile 1.25" to 2" eyepiece adapter
(which someone emailed me direct to inform me does actually exist) should
allow me to reach focus with all of the Speers-Waler WA's. My 8.8mm Meade
UWA will now have to go into my old Orion "high rise" adapter and be used
as a 1.25" eyepiece (as an interim solution meant only to tide me over
until I purchase a new focuser).

I hope the skies will be great again next weekend, so I can get the UWA
vs. WA test going in ernest. Enough for the preliminaries. I hope to
find, buy, and receive a special low rider 1.25" eyepice adapter for my 2"
focuser by then also (this being the only remaining drawback besides
cloudy skies). My wanted ad for this adapter will appear on Astromart
today. Getting closer!!!!

Lawrence Sayre
My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as
a moral being, with his own happiness as the moral
purpose of his life, with productive achievement as
his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.

Ayn Rand (in the appendix to 'Atlas Shrugged')
Old February 29th 04, 11:27 PM
Pete Rasmussen

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:13:13 GMT, "Lawrence Sayre"
wrote:

... I hope to
find, buy, and receive a special low rider 1.25" eyepice adapter for my 2"
focuser by then also (this being the only remaining drawback besides
cloudy skies). My wanted ad for this adapter will appear on Astromart
today.

Lawrence,

Maybe this is what you are needing?

Pete
Old March 1st 04, 01:07 AM
Lawrence Sayre

wrote:

... I hope to
find, buy, and receive a special low rider 1.25" eyepice adapter for my
2"
focuser by then also (this being the only remaining drawback besides
cloudy skies). My wanted ad for this adapter will appear on Astromart
today.

Lawrence,

Maybe this is what you are needing?

Pete

Pete,

Yes, this is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks!!!!

Old March 1st 04, 03:25 PM
Shneor Sherman

--

Hi Lawrence,
I hava two of the low-profile adapters. Oee is permanently mounted on

Old March 1st 04, 05:31 PM
Jim Easterbrook

wrote:

Maybe this is what you are needing?

Yes, this is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks!!!!

I have one of these. The distance from 1.25" eyepiece flange to 2"
eyepiece flange is exactly 0.5", i.e. this is how much further in it
places the eyepiece. Will that be enough?
--
Jim Easterbrook http://astro.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/
N51.36 E0.25
Old March 1st 04, 10:32 PM
Lawrence Sayre

wrote:

Maybe this is what you are needing?

Yes, this is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks!!!!

I have one of these. The distance from 1.25" eyepiece flange to 2"
eyepiece flange is exactly 0.5", i.e. this is how much further in it
places the eyepiece. Will that be enough?

Yes it will, Thanks!!!! What brand are these? Who sells them?

Old March 1st 04, 10:38 PM
Lawrence Sayre

On 1 Mar 2004 07:25:48 -0800, Shneor Sherman wrote:

Hi Lawrence,
I hava two of the low-profile adapters. Oee is permanently mounted on
my 5-8mm SW zoom. They work very well. But you could also use a
Teleview 1.25-2" adapter (the one that comes with the Big Barlow and
Paracorr and others) - just replace the set screw with an Allen bolt
the right size.

Hi Shneor,

Yes, using a TeleVue adapter witrh an allen key would be a good idea, but
I sold both my TeleVue Big Barlow and my TeleVue 4X Powermate (awhile
back), so I don't have an adapter of this type readily available. What
brand are your 2 low profile adapters? Who sells them?

Old March 2nd 04, 05:17 PM
Jim Easterbrook

wrote:

I have one of these. The distance from 1.25" eyepiece flange to 2"
eyepiece flange is exactly 0.5", i.e. this is how much further in it
places the eyepiece. Will that be enough?

Yes it will, Thanks!!!! What brand are these? Who sells them?

It's unbranded, and sold on ebay by "scopehed". I posted a measurement
of mine to help you decide, not realising you'd already bought one from
"scopehed".
Old March 3rd 04, 04:00 PM
Shneor Sherman

"Lawrence Sayre" wrote in message news:opr37fpit1s5tvhu@news-server...
On 1 Mar 2004 07:25:48 -0800, Shneor Sherman wrote:

Hi Lawrence,
I hava two of the low-profile adapters. Oee is permanently mounted on
my 5-8mm SW zoom. They work very well. But you could also use a
Teleview 1.25-2" adapter (the one that comes with the Big Barlow and
Paracorr and others) - just replace the set screw with an Allen bolt
the right size.

Hi Shneor,

Yes, using a TeleVue adapter witrh an allen key would be a good idea, but
I sold both my TeleVue Big Barlow and my TeleVue 4X Powermate (awhile
back), so I don't have an adapter of this type readily available. What
brand are your 2 low profile adapters? Who sells them?

Lawrence Sayre
--

There are no markings on them. I've had them for years, but I think I
bought the second one about 4 years ago. I had to wait extra for that