Planet near Proxima Centauri (Travel time)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 23rd 17, 06:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Planet near Proxima Centauri (Travel time)

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 10:04:11 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Do you ever seek medical care? Do you bother to eat and drink? Why do you
bother to do these things when you're going to die anyway?

That's a poor argument. A better one might be, "Why do you bother
doing those things when you're going to be ressurected and live forever?" :-)

I don't know that it's a better argument. But it's a similar one.

In this forum, I challenge those who don't believe in AGW because they
are factually wrong and making pseudoscientific claims in a science
forum. It has nothing to do with the survival of our species, and
everything to do with the problems created by the science denialism
and the inability to use reason and critical thinking.

So it's not "irrelevant" anymore? :-)

It is entirely irrelevant to the original topic. But Gary, and now
you, have shifted to something completely different, which is what I
responded to.

I get you: You believe in Truth at any cost. So why do you believe in
Truth when you're just going to die anyway and the human race is bound
to become extinct? Inquiring minds really do want to know.

I don't know what you mean by "Truth". But I fail to understand why
the inevitability of my personal death and of the extinction of the
human species in any way alters the meaning I create for my own life
while I am living it. I fail to understand the reasoning that our
lives only have meaning if we are somehow individually immortal.