Professor from second-rate university thinks he's going to time travel

Old July 14th 18, 07:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Default Professor from second-rate university thinks he's going to time travel

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 22:39:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:
How about, "functionally impossible?" Apparently, you can if you

try enough, run through a brick wall. IT might take 115 trillion
years, but you might make it, according to quantum physics.

If you have 115 trillion years at your disposal, all you have to do
is wait. Within a few centuries, perhaps a millennium, the brick wall
will have fallen down and you can just walk through its remains. And
then you'll have 114999999999000 years remaining of your 115 trillion
years...
Old July 14th 18, 08:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The sight of grown adults trying to justify the 1898 science fiction novel 'The Time Machine' is more or less the same symptom of the inability to affirm that each 24 hour day is the same as one rotation of the planet. -

" ‘Now, it is very remarkable that this is so extensively overlooked,’ continued the Time Traveller, with a slight accession of cheerfulness. ‘Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension, though some people who talk about the Fourth Dimension do not know they mean it. It is only another way of looking at Time. There is no difference between time and any of the three dimensions of space" The Time Machine , 1898

Projecting pseudo-authority may certainly be a dubious talent but it obscures the relationship between people and nature with a sense of time and space on a celestial scale. The difference between motions at a human level and the motions of planets and moons through space is a matter of vastness and longer term motions but with the help of time lapse and analogies, people can develop a genuine appreciation of this side of astronomy that has been lost to voodoo merchants.
Old July 14th 18, 02:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 12:18:57 AM UTC-6, Paul Schlyter wrote:

If you have 115 trillion years at your disposal, all you have to do
is wait.

Aside from quantum tunelling, there's always the chance of a Poincare catastrophe.

John Savard
Old July 14th 18, 02:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

wrote:
How about, "functionally impossible?" Apparently, you can if you

try enough, run through a brick wall. IT might take 115 trillion
years, but you might make it, according to quantum physics.

If you have 115 trillion years at your disposal, all you have to do
is wait. Within a few centuries, perhaps a millennium, the brick wall
will have fallen down and you can just walk through its remains. And
then you'll have 114999999999000 years remaining of your 115 trillion
years...

The evidence suggests that the time available for conscious life is
finite. And finite is all you need to end up with a universe where
time travel is never invented, despite being possible.
Old July 14th 18, 06:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Time is the most precious experience we have, in inspirational terms the Eternal encompasses temporal existence and we pick up the Eternal and Infinite in creation as we pass through life on this planet. The spirit in us fills all creation, was there before we showed up on this planet and will be there when our physical existence returns back to the planet as individual elements.

All the issues of timekeeping, the motions of the Earth and external references used can be sorted out with familiarity however it will be done with people who exercise humility before time rather than mock it with an absurd distortion of our normal travelling through time/life.

I am a Christian where the connection between the Eternal and temporal means everything as awe so with this confidence I can even present non Christian ideas of the same thing -

" The Celestial Circuit may, no doubt, be thought of in terms of
quantity. It answers to measure- in two ways. First there is space;
the movement is commensurate with the area it passes through, and this
area is its extent. But this gives us, still, space only, not Time.
Secondly, the circuit, considered apart from distance traversed, has
the extent of its continuity, of its tendency not to stop but to
proceed indefinitely: but this is merely amplitude of Movement; search
it, tell its vastness, and, still, Time has no more appeared, no more
enters into the matter, than when one certifies a high pitch of heat;
all we have discovered is Motion in ceaseless succession, like water
flowing ceaselessly, motion and extent of motion.

Succession or repetition gives us Number- dyad, triad, etc.- and the
extent traversed is a matter of Magnitude; thus we have Quantity of
Movement- in the form of number, dyad, triad, decade, or in the form
of extent apprehended in what we may call the amount of the Movement:
but, the idea of Time we have not. That definite Quantity is merely
something occurring within Time, for, otherwise Time is not everywhere
but is something belonging to Movement which thus would be its
substratum or basic-stuff: once more, then, we would be making Time
identical with Movement; for the extent of Movement is not something
outside it but is simply its continuousness, and we need not halt upon
the difference between the momentary and the continuous, which is
simply one of manner and degree. The extended movement and its extent
are not Time; they are in Time. Those that explain Time as extent of
Movement must mean not the extent of the movement itself but something
which determines its extension, something with which the movement
keeps pace in its course. But what this something is, we are not told;
yet it is, clearly, Time, that in which all Movement proceeds. This is
what our discussion has aimed at from the first: "What, essentially,
is Time?" It comes to this: we ask "What is Time?" and we are
answered, "Time is the extension of Movement in Time!" Plotinus

Old July 15th 18, 11:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

wrote:
How about, "functionally impossible?" Apparently, you can if you

try enough, run through a brick wall. IT might take 115 trillion
years, but you might make it, according to quantum physics.

If you have 115 trillion years at your disposal, all you have to do
is wait. Within a few centuries, perhaps a millennium, the brick wall
will have fallen down and you can just walk through its remains. And
then you'll have 114999999999000 years remaining of your 115 trillion
years...

Or, the universe will expand too far by then, run out of energy and grow dark.
Old July 17th 18, 03:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 14:34:45 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

It is clear that you can travel into the distant future if you could
travel fast enough so that your clock age was relativistically slowed
compared to the stay at home observer.

You can travel into the future by simply sitting in your armchair.
Old July 17th 18, 04:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

wrote:

It is clear that you can travel into the distant future if you
could travel fast enough so that your clock age was
relativistically slowed compared to the stay at home observer.

You can travel into the future by simply sitting in your
armchair.

And ignoring the word "distant."

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old July 17th 18, 04:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 08:25:25 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
wrote:

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

wrote:

It is clear that you can travel into the distant future if you
could travel fast enough so that your clock age was
relativistically slowed compared to the stay at home observer.

You can travel into the future by simply sitting in your
armchair.

And ignoring the word "distant."

How distant is distant? If you go to sleep and then wake up, was the
travel instantaneous? If your bones are still in the chair a million
years from now, is your journey forward "distant"?

The point being, we all travel forward in time. That introduces no
causality problems.
Old July 17th 18, 05:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 08:25:25 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
Kujisalimisha wrote:

Chris L Peterson wrote in
m:

wrote:

It is clear that you can travel into the distant future if you
could travel fast enough so that your clock age was
relativistically slowed compared to the stay at home observer.

You can travel into the future by simply sitting in your
armchair.

And ignoring the word "distant."

How distant is distant? If you go to sleep and then wake up, was
the travel instantaneous? If your bones are still in the chair a
million years from now, is your journey forward "distant"?

The point being, we all travel forward in time. That introduces
no causality problems.

the point being, you changed the subject because you were too
stupid not to, and too childish to admit you said something stupid.

Which is just another day that ends in "y."

Is there some law that requires that all children named "Chris" be
dropped on their heads at birth? Or is there a law that any child
that shows evidence of mental retardation be named "Chris"?