R CRB - a sooty star?

Old November 23rd 07, 12:19 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy, sci.astro.amateur, sci.astro
ukastronomy

Default R CRB - a sooty star?

High Profile Variable Stars (2)

R CRB - a sooty star?

R Coronae Borealis (R CrB) is a popular target with both visual and
CCD based telescope users - not least because it is so easy to find.

R CrB is subject to sudden, irregular and deep declines in brightness.
It may spend anything between a few months and a year in the faint
phase before slowly climbing back to maximum brightness. R CrB fades
when carbon-rich dust clouds = soot! periodically obscure the
photosphere of the star.

I was lucky enough to be able to follow one of these periodic fading
episodes - not many other observers made observations at the same time
so at least I can feel my efforts were worthwhile!

http://www.martin-nicholson.info/highprofile/rcrb.htm

Martin Nicholson, Daventry, England.
http://www.martin-nicholson.info/1/1a.htm

Visit the Astronomical Hall of Shame at http://www.geocities.com/queen5658/
Old November 24th 07, 06:49 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
reply

ukastronomy wrote:

[...]

a Google seach on /r crb spectrum/ produces many fine results.
An interesting rare object, only a handful known.

Thanks for your interesting posts!