Re - Strangest Star known is the 'Talk of Astronomy'

Old September 18th 03, 01:27 PM
Robert Clark

Default Re - Strangest Star known is the 'Talk of Astronomy'

From: Robert Clark )
Subject: Strangest Star known is the 'Talk of Astronomy'
Newsgroups: alt.fan.art-bell, sci.astro, alt.astronomy, sci.physics
Date: 2003-06-17 05:51:33 PST

(BunnERabbit) wrote in message ...
It seems Madam Mother Nature has baffled us kids yet again. Just when
Astronomers were somewhat confident in explaining stellar evolution and
behavior, comes along that proverbial Monkey wrench.

Normally I'll post the text as well as the link but in this case one
must view the link as the photography is utterly astounding to say the
least and therefore crucial to the story.

http://space.com/scienceastronomy/aa...st_030526.html

--
Keith

I seem to have become enamored of the idea of celestial impacts being
an important part of stellar system evolution:

From: Robert Clark )
Subject: Neutron star kicks, a proposal.
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics, sci.physics.relativity
Date: 2000/07/25
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=94e8250113c096d5

One possibility for V838 Mon is that the "explosions" are due to
planetary impacts. This would be consistent with the molecular species
found within the shells:

Strangest Star Known is the 'Talk of Astronomy'
By Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer
posted: 05:00 pm ET
"In the expelled shells, his team has found evidence of water, carbon
monoxide, silicates similar to what's found in Earth's insides, and
other substances in mixtures and quantities never before seen around
novae or supernovae."
http://space.com/scienceastronomy/aa...st_030526.html

There is also another indication of planetary impacts that I'll post
about in a day or so.

Bob Clark

Giant star caught swallowing three planets.
12:20 17 September 03
NewScientist.com news service.
"A giant star has been caught in the act of swallowing three planets,
one after the other, with each "meal" accompanied by a massive
eruption.
"It has been suggested in the past that stars might engulf planets in
this way, but we believe we have actually caught this action for the
first time," says Alon Retter of the University of Sydney, Australia.
"The star, known as V838 Monocerotis, is about 20,000 light years from
Earth. In January 2002, it temporarily became the brightest star in
the Milky Way, 600,000 times more luminous than the Sun. At the time,
astronomers struggled to explain the spectacular explosion."
"Retter and Marom describe their analysis in a letter accepted by the
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society."

Their paper available he

A model of an expanding giant that swallowed planets for the eruption
of V838 Monocerotis.
Astrophysics, abstract
astro-ph/0309341
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0309341