One of most remarkable feats in computer science ?

Old September 21st 03, 06:38 PM
AndyK

Default One of most remarkable feats in computer science ?

"Vance Roos" wrote in message...
FROM THE ECONOMIST (see extract below).

Is it really true or even almost true when the article states this?

"in one of the most remarkable feats in the history of computer
science, Galileo's operators completely reprogrammed the craft's
computers to take advantage of modern data-compression methods."

I don't know what was involved but if anyone has any views they would
be interesting to hear.

=========

Hi Vance,

Well The Economist's writers really know a lot about computers, don't they?
:-) Journalists do this sort of sensationalisation out of habit probably -
can you imagine what talking to one of them away from their work would be
like?

They just reprogrammed some of the computers - I don't wish to belittle the
work of the clever people involved, but that's not miraculous. I believe
something of a similar magnitude was done with the Voyager 2 probe at Uranus
& Neptune, to get around the fact that the cameras wouldn't operate well so
far from the sun... but I'm sure someone here recalls the details better
than I.

Basically it sounds like the hardware they choose to send up is always
capable of being reprogrammed from the ground - probably an extra expense,
but a wise precaution.

Old September 21st 03, 07:07 PM
Martin Frey

I remember being told that two of the most remarkable feats in
computer science were those of John von Neuman.

Apparently when it snowed at Princeton people stumbling across his
tracks, had accidents of a kind they had not had since they were small
children.

Cheers

Martin

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------

Old September 22nd 03, 05:52 AM
Ron Larham

"AndyK" wrote in message

"Vance Roos" wrote in message...
FROM THE ECONOMIST (see extract below).

Is it really true or even almost true when the article states this?

"in one of the most remarkable feats in the history of computer
science, Galileo's operators completely reprogrammed the craft's
computers to take advantage of modern data-compression methods."

I don't know what was involved but if anyone has any views they would
be interesting to hear.

=========

Hi Vance,

Well The Economist's writers really know a lot about computers, don't

they?
:-) Journalists do this sort of sensationalisation out of habit

probably -
can you imagine what talking to one of them away from their work would be
like?

The journalist was probably just quoting the NASA press release.

Old September 26th 03, 11:28 PM
Torcuill Torrance

In article , Ron
Larham wrote:
"AndyK" wrote in message

"Vance Roos" wrote in message...
FROM THE ECONOMIST (see extract below).

Is it really true or even almost true when the article states this?

"in one of the most remarkable feats in the history of computer
science, Galileo's operators completely reprogrammed the craft's
computers to take advantage of modern data-compression methods."

I don't know what was involved but if anyone has any views they

would
be interesting to hear.

=========

Hi Vance,

Well The Economist's writers really know a lot about computers, don't

they?
:-) Journalists do this sort of sensationalisation out of habit

probably -
can you imagine what talking to one of them away from their work

would be
like?

Torc remarked:
Pah that's nothing I got a Windows ME machine to boot this morning!

Clear Skies

Torc

--

TAKMEOOT to reply