Did you spot the Saturn V? (xkcd, 19 September)

Old September 19th 12, 06:03 PM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

Default Did you spot the Saturn V? (xkcd, 19 September)

``So why did we build this? There have *got* to be other
ways to get to space.''

``Believe it or not, this is the *least* crazy one anyone
has come up with.''

http://xkcd.com/1110/

--
http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/ Joseph Nebus
Current Entry: How Many Grooves Are On A Record's Side? http://wp.me/p1RYhY-jn
Old September 19th 12, 08:17 PM posted to sci.space.history
Ken S. Tucker[_2_]

What if one takes a 100' dia. X 1000'high aluminum balloon
(small compared to mid sized skyscrapers) and filled it with H2,
at sea level pressure. It would have XX #'s of bouyancy thrust,
then as the H2 expanded bleed the gas to attached ramjets,
how high and fast will it go?
We (NASA and I) used a 1" thick skin.
Ken

PS:I have a bunch of grooves on my record cuz it skips.

Old September 20th 12, 07:30 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Joseph Nebus speculated:
``So why did we build this? There have *got* to be other
ways to get to space.''

``Believe it or not, this is the *least* crazy one anyone
has come up with.''

http://xkcd.com/1110/

Sheesh ... carpal tunnel!

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old September 20th 12, 03:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Snidely" wrote in message news:mn.9d827dc995bde1ab.127094@snitoo...

Joseph Nebus speculated:
``So why did we build this? There have *got* to be other
ways to get to space.''

``Believe it or not, this is the *least* crazy one anyone
has come up with.''

http://xkcd.com/1110/

Sheesh ... carpal tunnel!

/dps

Try:
http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/ it helps... some.

LOTS of Easter eggs in there.

Hmm, come to think of it, I should look for actual Easter Eggs in it.

Old September 20th 12, 03:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 21/09/2012 12:15 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"Snidely" wrote in message news:mn.9d827dc995bde1ab.127094@snitoo...

Joseph Nebus speculated:
``So why did we build this? There have *got* to be other
ways to get to space.''

``Believe it or not, this is the *least* crazy one anyone has
come up with.''

http://xkcd.com/1110/

Sheesh ... carpal tunnel!

/dps

Try: http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/ it helps... some.

LOTS of Easter eggs in there.

Hmm, come to think of it, I should look for actual Easter Eggs in it.

Now it makes a little more sense.
Old September 24th 12, 02:52 AM posted to sci.space.history
David Palmer

On 9/19/12 11:03 AM, Joseph Nebus wrote:
``So why did we build this? There have *got* to be other
ways to get to space.''

``Believe it or not, this is the *least* crazy one anyone
has come up with.''

http://xkcd.com/1110/

Did you spot the _other_ Saturn V?

Old September 24th 12, 05:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

David Palmer presented the following explanation :
On 9/19/12 11:03 AM, Joseph Nebus wrote:
``So why did we build this? There have *got* to be other
ways to get to space.''

``Believe it or not, this is the *least* crazy one anyone
has come up with.''

http://xkcd.com/1110/

Did you spot the _other_ Saturn V?

Oh-oh!