ASTRO: Mystery test

Old July 20th 11, 08:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Mystery test

Last time I tried an animated gif it didn't take. That was several
years ago. Time to try again. The mystery is if it will work. If it
does I'll explain further. In the meantime you're free to guess. Image
is heavily cropped. Yes I cropped out the galaxy for band width
purposes trying to keep this small enough to hit all servers.

Rick

Old July 20th 11, 08:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 02:00:11 -0500, Rick Johnson
wrote:

Last time I tried an animated gif it didn't take. That was several
years ago. Time to try again. The mystery is if it will work. If it
does I'll explain further. In the meantime you're free to guess. Image
is heavily cropped. Yes I cropped out the galaxy for band width
purposes trying to keep this small enough to hit all servers.

Rick

Works great here (though it doesn't animate when viewed from within
Agent.)

Mars over a few nights?

Bob ^,,^
Old July 21st 11, 03:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

wrote:

Last time I tried an animated gif it didn't take. That was several
years ago. Time to try again. The mystery is if it will work. If it
does I'll explain further. In the meantime you're free to guess. Image
is heavily cropped. Yes I cropped out the galaxy for band width
purposes trying to keep this small enough to hit all servers.

Rick

Works great here (though it doesn't animate when viewed from within
Agent.)

Mars over a few nights?

Bob ^,,^

Not even close and that is a double hint.

Rick

Old July 22nd 11, 09:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Here's one frame of the full image.
Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BARNARDS_STAR_L2X10RGB1X10X3R.JPG
Views:	651
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	3634
Old July 23rd 11, 03:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Geoff[_4_]

wrote:

Last time I tried an animated gif it didn't take. That was several
years ago. Time to try again. The mystery is if it will work. If it
does I'll explain further. In the meantime you're free to guess. Image
is heavily cropped. Yes I cropped out the galaxy for band width
purposes trying to keep this small enough to hit all servers.

Rick

Works great here (though it doesn't animate when viewed from within
Agent.)

Mars over a few nights?

Bob ^,,^

Not even close and that is a double hint.

Rick

I'll go with something topical in the news these days...

4 Vesta?
Old July 23rd 11, 06:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

wrote:

Last time I tried an animated gif it didn't take. That was several
years ago. Time to try again. The mystery is if it will work. If it
does I'll explain further. In the meantime you're free to guess. Image
is heavily cropped. Yes I cropped out the galaxy for band width
purposes trying to keep this small enough to hit all servers.

Rick

Works great here (though it doesn't animate when viewed from within
Agent.)

Mars over a few nights?

Bob ^,,^

Not even close and that is a double hint.

Rick

I'll go with something topical in the news these days...

4 Vesta?

Same answer: Not even close though only a single hint here as you made
only one guess in your answer. Neither of Bob's guesses were close.

Note I said this dates back to about this time last year. Neither Vesta
or Mars were in the night sky (well Mars was on the horizon) last year
at this time period. I could think of only three possibilities with two
being Mars and Vesta. Thus I gave that clue to rule them out leaving
only the right answer but no one seems to check a planetarium program.
Keep in mind I image within an hour or two of the meridian. That should
greatly narrow down the sky it could be in.

Another hint since they seem to be needed. This was the subject some 45
years ago of a major astronomical discovery that led off the national
news and made major headlines. Later it was proven a false discovery.
That made the back pages if it was news at all. Though today it is
largely forgotten.

Rick

Old July 23rd 11, 09:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:37:09 -0500, Rick Johnson
wrote:

Here's one frame of the full image.
Rick

Is it okay if I cheat and read the filename? ;^)

Proper motion of Barnard's Star - very cool!

And thanks for all the great images you post.

Bob ^,,^
Old July 23rd 11, 08:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_6_]

I wouldn't have guessed that. Cool. Over how much time did you compile
those images? In other words, how long did it take the star to move that
distance in the sky?

George

Old July 23rd 11, 10:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

4 years, one frame each summer 2007 through 2010. It moves a tad over
10" of arc per year, about 41" during the time of this animation.

If the skies ever allow it, I'll add a fifth frame but weather here has
been zilch for imaging for weeks now. Not looking promising either.
Humidity running higher than a rain forest screws up transparency this
low in my skies from 47 north.

Rick

Old July 24th 11, 03:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_6_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
. com...

4 years, one frame each summer 2007 through 2010. It moves a tad over
10" of arc per year, about 41" during the time of this animation.

If the skies ever allow it, I'll add a fifth frame but weather here has
been zilch for imaging for weeks now. Not looking promising either.
Humidity running higher than a rain forest screws up transparency this
low in my skies from 47 north.

Rick

Moved quite a bit in fur years. I might have to try to add this as a
long-term project. I always get great ideas from you guys. Thanks.

George

ASTRO: Arp 289 and its mystery plumes Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 4 March 1st 11 06:29 AM
ASTRO: SH2-239 and a mystery object Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 11 March 22nd 09 09:48 PM
astro: alt.test gobbletwo Amateur Astronomy 1 August 17th 07 05:14 PM
ASTRO : Test rod[_2_] Astro Pictures 2 August 2nd 07 10:36 PM
Mystery High Speed Test A/C Patrick McConnell Space Shuttle 3 January 29th 04 06:34 PM