NASA transition problems?

Old December 11th 08, 04:08 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default NASA transition problems?

Is Spock getting all emotional?:
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/new...as-become.html
Soon, fighting will begin with the lirpa.
Then on to the rubber bands and paper clips.
Seriously, this bodes no good for Constellation.

Pat
Old December 11th 08, 04:15 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
kT

Pat Flannery wrote:
Is Spock getting all emotional?:
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/new...as-become.html

Soon, fighting will begin with the lirpa.
Then on to the rubber bands and paper clips.
Seriously, this bodes no good for Constellation.q

Constellation is no good. VSE is a complete failure.

Americans are idiots.
Old December 11th 08, 05:04 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Allen Thomson

“Mike, I don’t understand what the problem is. We are just trying to
look under the hood,” Garver said.

“If you are looking under the hood, then you are calling me a liar,”
Griffin replied. “Because it means you don’t trust what I say is under
the hood.

Dr. Griffin just failed the Used Car Salesman Test. ("Would you buy a
used car from someone who talks like that?)

Old December 11th 08, 05:56 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Allen Thomson" wrote in message

“Mike, I don’t understand what the problem is. We are just trying to
look under the hood,” Garver said.

“If you are looking under the hood, then you are calling me a liar,”
Griffin replied. “Because it means you don’t trust what I say is under
the hood.

Dr. Griffin just failed the Used Car Salesman Test. ("Would you buy a
used car from someone who talks like that?)

I have a very strong feeling Obama isn't going to keep Griffin on as NASA
Administrator. Griffin seems to have forgotten who he's supposed to be
working for.

Jeff
--
"Many things that were acceptable in 1958 are no longer acceptable today.
My own standards have changed too." -- Freeman Dyson

Old December 11th 08, 05:56 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

You know, my Dad comment once about doing house inspections. Some realtors
didn't like him because his inspections ended up nixing some sales. Others
appreciated him, since his reports would confirm all the good stuff they
said about the place.

I don't think anyone really ENJOYS being reviewed, but if you're doing a
good job, you'll end up seeing it as a validation of your job.

If you're not, well tough then.

If Griffin is so confident in his choices, he should be more than willing to
have them scrutinized.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old December 11th 08, 08:07 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Allen Thomson wrote:
“Mike, I don’t understand what the problem is. We are just trying to
look under the hood,” Garver said.

“If you are looking under the hood, then you are calling me a liar,”
Griffin replied. “Because it means you don’t trust what I say is under
the hood.

Dr. Griffin just failed the Used Car Salesman Test. ("Would you buy a
used car from someone who talks like that?)

I liked this part:
"Among the ideas agreed on: tell the team that an Obama White House
'could take ownership of the [Constellation] program and ‘re-brand’ it
as their own with minor tweaks.' "
Like, say, a new booster. ;-)
It does raise the inevitable question though: After Griffin's gone who
do they find who actually _wants_ to be head of something as screwed up
as NASA has become?
It's like getting volunteers for a career suicide mission - anyone who
would actually want the job is probably too crazy or dumb to be able to
handle it competently.

Pat
Old December 11th 08, 08:12 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:
I have a very strong feeling Obama isn't going to keep Griffin on as NASA
Administrator. Griffin seems to have forgotten who he's supposed to be
working for.

Griffin stated a couple of weeks back that he didn't expect Obama to
keep him on.

Pat
Old December 11th 08, 09:08 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Dec 11, 11:15*am, kT wrote:

Americans are idiots.

That would apply to you

Old December 11th 08, 10:09 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Martha Adams

wrote in message
On Dec 11, 11:15 am, kT wrote:

Americans are idiots.

That would apply to you

=======================================

Very literate reply, yes?

I can't see anything like this getting us out into space, as we need.
Any new Administration must leave its mark on existing programs. In my
view, the resemblance of this to what tomcats do in your home, and why
they do it, is unmistakable. Current events are illustrating the risk
and probable error in setting up long-term programs out of Washington.

Part of the problem is, that the relatively small expense of space work,
looms far larger in the popular eye, than does the large expense of one
or two wars ongoing. After all, wars are, uh, ...patriotic? So the
wars that have so upset our economy and the world generally, and have
led to serious questions about "torture" and to political litmus tests
and such, costing in the trillions and no useful return, are ok somehow.
But the costs of space settlement, which offers immense returns and
options for a much better future for all of us, are challenged and
politicized at every step.

This certainly is one of the character defining major problems facing
the America of our time. We might not survive to see good resolutions
to it. At least, this calls for good work by knowledgeable and rational
people. I'd like to see some of those people posting into here. But
there are too many postings in this newsgroup like the above (and
worse). Their effect resembles finding yourself downwind from a
smoldering garbage dump, and people without mental health experience may
find the rubbish hard to cope with. So they go elsewhere. I could say
much more about this, but I've made my point.

I think a flaring sparkling hot fight in Washington about any space
topic, is only bad news. The hope for relevant progress isn't good
anyway in today's world, and I think this kind of thing pretty well
kills hope. Meanwhile, it's interesting to see off-hand comments on how
good the Saturn V was ...*was*, and the Apollo program with NERVA was
the beginning of a spectacular program of space exploration and
settlement. Nowadays if someone wants to sound good, they call up a
little of that old stuff and ignorant readers don't recognize it's
history. Ares seems to have been playing with old Apollo tech recently,
not to much effect. Too bad that decades ago we discarded Apollo,
apparently because ...someone, wanted the money for more war.

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Dec 11]