ASTRO: Cocoon Nebula

Old August 16th 07, 04:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Cocoon Nebula

Same night as M71 I was able to also image the Cocoon Nebula IC 5146.
Conditions had improved to near "normal" with magnitude 6.5 skies. So
this one came out about as good as I can expect to do. Yes, everything
went right this time! Amazing isn't it! It was going so well I
extended the time to two hours from the normal 40 minutes. Though I
tried processing the best 4 (40 minutes) and couldn't see much loss if
any so doubt I'll be increasing my time for most objects. Just didn't
make any difference I could see.

14" LX200R @ F/10, R=12x10', RGB=2x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COCOON12X10LCRGB2X10R.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	574.9 KB
ID:	1108
Old August 16th 07, 11:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:54:09 -0500, Rick Johnson
wrote:

Same night as M71 I was able to also image the Cocoon Nebula IC 5146.
Conditions had improved to near "normal" with magnitude 6.5 skies. So
this one came out about as good as I can expect to do. Yes, everything
went right this time! Amazing isn't it! It was going so well I
extended the time to two hours from the normal 40 minutes. Though I
tried processing the best 4 (40 minutes) and couldn't see much loss if
any so doubt I'll be increasing my time for most objects. Just didn't
make any difference I could see.

14" LX200R @ F/10, R=12x10', RGB=2x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

All I can say is "wow".
Old August 16th 07, 01:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

I like the first one you posted. It looks more natural to me. I also
noticed that you have some galaxies in the field. This is amazing because
this is s dirty part of the sky.

Joe

----

Old August 16th 07, 07:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I forgot to mention those three little guys. Notice all three are below
it with nothing above. Must be less dust down there. The long dark
trail of B168 that extends from it goes to the northwest (upper right)
for what that may have to do with it. My FOV is too small to show it.

I processed the second version after seeing the APOD image taken with
the 3.6 meter Canadian French Hawaiian telescope on Mona Kea.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap021014.html They have a very different blue
that I see. Otherwise they compare surprisingly well for such a great
aperture difference. Now if I just had the seeing of Mona Kea!

Rick

Old August 18th 07, 05:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

thats a nice one Rick

you got the faint wispy nebulosity very nicely

there's a lot of reflection neb that I never get with my narrowband
filters....

Old August 19th 07, 02:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
Same night as M71 I was able to also image the Cocoon Nebula IC 5146.
Conditions had improved to near "normal" with magnitude 6.5 skies. So
this one came out about as good as I can expect to do. Yes, everything
went right this time! Amazing isn't it! It was going so well I
extended the time to two hours from the normal 40 minutes. Though I
tried processing the best 4 (40 minutes) and couldn't see much loss.....

Wonderful image Rick!! It's interesting what you learned about what you need
for exposure time! I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever get our
equipment back on line.

I'm still slowly recovering from a computer crash (or is that "trash"), and
I've been doing a lot of visual "sidewalk" and star party stuff.

George N

Old August 19th 07, 03:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

...... Now if I just had the seeing of Mona Kea!

....bring your O^2 bottle and winter parka.....

Last week at Stellafane I had a chance to talk with several guys who have
observed from the visitor center at Keck and they report that the conditions
are super. They also said that the observing area is open all night.

George N