From the National Review Online...

Old June 17th 05, 12:09 AM
Jim Davis

Default From the National Review Online...

http://www.nationalreview.com/derbys...0506160749.asp

I don't think this guy likes the shuttle.

Jim Davis
Old June 17th 05, 01:12 AM
Pat Flannery

Jim Davis wrote:

http://www.nationalreview.com/derbys...0506160749.asp

I don't think this guy likes the shuttle.

I completely disagree with his statement that:
"the space shuttle is back on the launch pad. This grotesque, lethal
white elephant http://www.21cep.com/thai/eleph.htm — 14 deaths in 113
flights — is the grandest, grossest technological folly of our age."
That would be the ISS, not the Shuttle.
the Shuttle is the _second_ grandest, grossest technological folly of
our time. :-)

Pat
Old June 17th 05, 04:17 AM
Rand Simberg

On 16 Jun 2005 23:09:13 GMT, in a place far, far away, Jim Davis
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

http://www.nationalreview.com/derbys...0506160749.asp

I don't think this guy likes the shuttle.

Gee, ya think?

He comes to the right conclusion (about the Shuttle) from wrong
premises about much else.
Old June 17th 05, 12:17 PM
Mark R. Whittington

Jim Davis wrote:
http://www.nationalreview.com/derbys...0506160749.asp

I don't think this guy likes the shuttle.

Jim Davis

Actually he doesn't like space exploration period.

Old June 17th 05, 03:31 PM
Rand Simberg

On 17 Jun 2005 04:17:22 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Mark R.
Whittington" made the phosphor on my monitor

Jim Davis wrote:
http://www.nationalreview.com/derbys...0506160749.asp

I don't think this guy likes the shuttle.

Jim Davis

Actually he doesn't like space exploration period.

No, he just doesn't like government-funded human space exploration.
He did say he'd like to go himself--he just doesn't think that the
taxpayers should pick up the bill. That's my read, anyway.
Old June 17th 05, 11:11 PM
john

I don't think this guy likes the shuttle.

What's to like?

Actually he doesn't like space exploration period.

No, he just doesn't like government-funded human space exploration.
He did say he'd like to go himself--he just doesn't think that the
taxpayers should pick up the bill. That's my read, anyway.

Exactly. And his comments about the truly astounding scope of utter folly
represented by the shuttle's continued flights and existence are right on
target. Believe it or not, there are lots of people who love space
development but hate NASA (
http://www.ncc-1776.com/tle2000/libe76-20000612-07.html ). With good
reason. NASA is evil. NASA must die.

Old June 18th 05, 03:08 AM
Mark R. Whittington

Actually, Rand, his statements on the folly of space exploration and
his robots being better than humans argument and several other things
would apply to all forms of space exploration, whether done by NASA,
the military, or a private company. Derbyshire takes the known problems
concerning the shuttle (which even NASA has long admitted) and has
reached the conclusion than any sort of space exploration is not only
ill advised, but downright evil.

Old June 18th 05, 12:52 PM
Mark R. Whittington

Rand, no I'm not. The key paragraph to understanding Derb's view on
space exploration in general is this one:

"The gross glutted wealth of the federal government; the venality and
stupidity of our representatives; the lobbying power of big
rent-seeking corporations; the romantic enthusiasms of millions of
citizens; these are the things that 14 astronauts died for. To abandon
all euphemism and pretense, they died for pork, for votes, for share
prices, and for thrills (immediate in their own case, vicarious in
ours)."
Venality? Stupidity? They died for pork? For thrills? I think the
term"evil" fits rather nicely.

Old June 18th 05, 01:14 PM
Paul F. Dietz

Mark R. Whittington wrote:
Rand, no I'm not. The key paragraph to understanding Derb's view on
space exploration in general is this one:

"The gross glutted wealth of the federal government; the venality and
stupidity of our representatives; the lobbying power of big
rent-seeking corporations; the romantic enthusiasms of millions of
citizens; these are the things that 14 astronauts died for. To abandon
all euphemism and pretense, they died for pork, for votes, for share
prices, and for thrills (immediate in their own case, vicarious in
ours)."
Venality? Stupidity? They died for pork? For thrills? I think the
term"evil" fits rather nicely.

Mark, Mark, Mark...

You claimed he was stating that "any sort of space exploration is
[...] downright evil."

But this paragraph is refering to a *specific* form of space
exploration, the government-funded shuttle program. Other forms
may lack many of these deplorable features.

I thik Derbyshire's hit a nerve here. It's gotta be disconcerting
to be rhetorically pounded from the left AND the right.

Paul

Old June 18th 05, 03:08 PM
Rand Simberg

On 17 Jun 2005 19:08:42 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Mark R.
Whittington" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Actually, Rand, his statements on the folly of space exploration and
his robots being better than humans argument and several other things
would apply to all forms of space exploration, whether done by NASA,
the military, or a private company. Derbyshire takes the known problems
concerning the shuttle (which even NASA has long admitted) and has
reached the conclusion than any sort of space exploration is not only
ill advised, but downright evil.

Not evil, just ill advised. You're being as hyperbolic as he is.