Phillips ToUCam Pro II 840 WOES!

Old September 9th 04, 09:06 AM
Lauri Uusitalo

Honest John wrote:
The installed driver now needs a usb port, and VCheck activates to finish that
task. In the case of XP, VCheck finds usb2 right off because XP supports
usb2. In win98, usb2 does not exist. Only usb1 exist in win98and 2000.

Are you sure that win2000 does not support USB2? With Win98 you have to
have Win98 SE to have USB support at all.

--
Lauri

Old September 9th 04, 02:23 PM
sdastroguy

The installed driver now needs a usb port, and VCheck activates to finish that
task. In the case of XP, VCheck finds usb2 right off because XP supports
usb2. In win98, usb2 does not exist. Only usb1 exist in win98and 2000.

Are you sure that win2000 does not support USB2? With Win98 you have to
have Win98 SE to have USB support at all.

W2k supports USB2 just fine with the correct drivers.
Old September 9th 04, 06:09 PM
Paul Lawler

Lauri Uusitalo wrote in
:

Honest John wrote:
The installed driver now needs a usb port, and VCheck activates to
finish that task. In the case of XP, VCheck finds usb2 right off
because XP supports usb2. In win98, usb2 does not exist. Only usb1
exist in win98and 2000.

Are you sure that win2000 does not support USB2? With Win98 you have
to have Win98 SE to have USB support at all.

Perhaps s/he is thinking of Windows NT, which does not support USB.

Old September 10th 04, 06:07 AM
S.O.S

The 840 camera software is a pain in the ass unless you have XP. That
much we all know now. We have worked with it all week to no avail trying
every known option in Win98 and 2000.

The vendor has kindly replied now saying most people who buy the 840 have
XP, but others are having problems, and the vendor will take it back if we
chose this course.

So, a local engineer (a friend) is going to format and instal XP on my IBM
Thinkpad over the weekend and if that doesnt get the 840 up and running, it
will go back to the vendor on Monday.

Nobody dreamed we would be going through any of this and I am not
personally sure at this point it's all worth it. There are other cameras!
There is also "film"!

Steve

Same Old **** wrote:

Received my new ProII 840 and guess what, the driver doesn't load on
any of my computers (win98, win2000, winXP). So I went on the web
only to find page after page of complaints. Guess Im not alone. Everyone
is
having grief with the drivers not loading or working. I didnt need this!

So, shame on you Phillips and Scopetronix for knowingly selling a bad
product. I say knowingly because the problem has been evident to the
world for months, and still they sell this .... and if you think Im out
of my
box complaining, you ought to read some of the critical pages on the
net!

Where were you SAA when I needed you!

Steve.

Old September 10th 04, 06:24 AM
Lauri Uusitalo

S.O.S wrote:

The 840 camera software is a pain in the ass unless you have XP. That
much we all know now. We have worked with it all week to no avail trying
every known option in Win98 and 2000.

For some reason my toucam 840 worked fine with my Dell laptop with
Win2000. And I just followed the instructions.

--
Lauri

Old September 10th 04, 11:09 AM
Phil Wheeler

S.O.S wrote:

The 840 camera software is a pain in the ass unless you have XP. That
much we all know now. We have worked with it all week to no avail trying
every known option in Win98 and 2000.

The vendor has kindly replied now saying most people who buy the 840 have
XP, but others are having problems, and the vendor will take it back if we
chose this course.

So, a local engineer (a friend) is going to format and instal XP on my IBM
Thinkpad over the weekend and if that doesnt get the 840 up and running, it
will go back to the vendor on Monday.

Nobody dreamed we would be going through any of this and I am not
personally sure at this point it's all worth it.

Getting XP on your system is worth it.

Old September 12th 04, 09:06 AM
S.O.V.

You are correct! XP was loaded easily, the laptop loves it, and the 840
took avi's of Uranus, Neptune, M31, Albeirio, msc clusters tonight.
We also got some awesome shots of diff disks of our C16 and got it
better collimated. From hell to heaven in one leap. Einstein.was right -
God doesnt play dice - not if you have XP and an 840. Thanks to all,
sincerely, and the other Steve on Yahoo groups. Im reporting success.
Steve