Maximum magnification and optimum usage

Old December 11th 03, 11:15 PM
^MisterJingo^

Default Maximum magnification and optimum usage

Hi all,

I posted a while back regarding getting a telescope as an Christmas present
for a relative. I recently saw two telescopes with the following maximum
magnification and optimum usage:

500x maximum magnification - optimum usage up to 250x magnification £179

675x maximum magnification - optimum usage up to 225x magnification £229

They are both reflector telescopes made by Tasco. Sorry if this sounds
naive, but why has the one with the higher maximum magnification (And price
tag) got a low optimum magnification? I could post model numbers if that
would help with this question.

Cheers,

Chris

Old December 12th 03, 05:09 AM
Chuck Taylor

You can get any scope to produce obscene magnification, you just won't be
able to see anything through it. These "maximum magnification" numbers are
just advertising hype that should be banned as outright lies. And the
optimum magnification is probably quite a bit less than what is stated.
While Tasco made some decent scopes thirty years ago, they are currently
known as Traschco and for good reason. Stay away from them.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old December 12th 03, 07:12 AM
Stephen Tonkin

^MisterJingo^ wrote:
why has the one with the higher maximum magnification (And price tag)
got a low optimum magnification?

You will be able to answer these questions yourself if you read:
http://astunit.com/tutorials/telescope.htm

However, the relevant answer is that they are being sold on
magnification because the vendor cynically exploits the fact that people
ignorant of astronomy are more likely to be swayed by claims of
magnification than by truthful statements of optical and mechanical
quality.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +