When we Colonize Pluto

Old January 25th 18, 11:57 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

Default When we Colonize Pluto

All we need do is follow the underground caves until we are near the heated swimming pool of an ocean. We will be quite comfortable--and then when we come to the surface of Pluto to mine for diamonds and gold--Charon and the other four moons will look beautiful in the night time sky.
Old January 26th 18, 02:00 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Andrew[_6_]

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message ...

All we need do is follow the underground caves until we are near the
heated swimming pool of an ocean. We will be quite comfortable--
and then when we come to the surface of Pluto to mine for diamonds
and gold--Charon and the other four moons will look beautiful in the
night time sky.

Sure, now tell us. How long it would take for your body to
freeze solid with the temperature running at -260 degrees F?

Old January 26th 18, 02:14 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 8:00:30 AM UTC-6, Andrew wrote:
"Mark Earnest" wrote...

All we need do is follow the underground caves until we are near the
heated swimming pool of an ocean. We will be quite comfortable--
and then when we come to the surface of Pluto to mine for diamonds
and gold--Charon and the other four moons will look beautiful in the
night time sky.

Sure, now tell us. How long it would take for your body to
freeze solid with the temperature running at -260 degrees F?

We wear heated space suits on the surface of Pluto, and underground it is already warm from geothermal heat.

Old January 26th 18, 11:56 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Andrew[_6_]

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message ...
Andrew wrote:
"Mark Earnest" wrote...

All we need do is follow the underground caves until we are near the
heated swimming pool of an ocean. We will be quite comfortable--
and then when we come to the surface of Pluto to mine for diamonds
and gold--Charon and the other four moons will look beautiful in the
night time sky.

Sure, now tell us. How long it would take for your body to
freeze solid with the temperature running at -260 degrees F?

We wear heated space suits on the surface of Pluto,

What if the batteries ran out, what would happen to your
body with the temperatures running about -240 degrees F?

and underground it is already warm from geothermal heat.

Yes, now tell us what you would breathe since the
atmosphere is poisoned with carbon monoxide?
Old January 27th 18, 11:07 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 5:56:29 PM UTC-6, Andrew wrote:
"Mark Earnest" wrote in
Andrew wrote:
"Mark Earnest" wrote...

All we need do is follow the underground caves until we are near the
heated swimming pool of an ocean. We will be quite comfortable--
and then when we come to the surface of Pluto to mine for diamonds
and gold--Charon and the other four moons will look beautiful in the
night time sky.

Sure, now tell us. How long it would take for your body to
freeze solid with the temperature running at -260 degrees F?

We wear heated space suits on the surface of Pluto,

What if the batteries ran out, what would happen to your
body with the temperatures running about -240 degrees F?

We put solar arrays on the surface of Pluto to recharge the batteries.

and underground it is already warm from geothermal heat.

Yes, now tell us what you would breathe since the
atmosphere is poisoned with carbon monoxide?

"us?" I only see one of you. There is a whole subterranean ocean of liquid water on Pluto. Where there is water the chemists can get oxygen.

Old January 27th 18, 10:53 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

We put solar arrays on the surface of Pluto to recharge the batteries.

You do realize that solar energy on Pluto is very miniscule compared
to here ?!

There is a whole subterranean ocean of liquid water on Pluto.

Says who ?

Where there is water the chemists can get oxygen.

Absolutely and totally impractical. Electrolysis ? Power required
would be vastly prohibitive, and yield far too little.
Old January 27th 18, 11:39 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 4:53:34 PM UTC-6, casagi.. wrote:

We put solar arrays on the surface of Pluto to recharge the batteries.

You do realize that solar energy on Pluto is very miniscule compared
to here ?!

The probe just sent showed totally lit up surface features of Pluto. The Sun gets through.

There is a whole subterranean ocean of liquid water on Pluto.

Says who ?

Watch the science channel. Scientists are saying this on "How the Universe Works."

Where there is water the chemists can get oxygen.

Absolutely and totally impractical. Electrolysis ? Power required
would be vastly prohibitive, and yield far too little.

Chemists are smarter than you think. A little research and they have it down. It is not that hard for them to get oxygen out of water when they have an important reason to do so. Right now they do not have one, since oxygen can be obtained so much more easily in other ways.

Old January 28th 18, 12:08 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

The probe just sent showed totally lit up surface features of Pluto. The Sun gets through.

Lit up enough to see isn't the point. Pluto is 39.42 times as far from
the Sun as the Earth, and that equates to a relative solar intensity,
less by a factor of 1554 ! We probably get more by Moonlight !

Watch the science channel. Scientists are saying this on "How the Universe Works."

Where's the hard evidence ? No one can know what's beneath the
surface.

Chemists are smarter than you think. A little research and they have it down. It is not that hard for them to get oxygen out of water when they have an important reason to do so. Right now they do not have one, since oxygen can be obtained so much more easily in other ways.

Getting Oxygen ( and therefore also Hydrogen ) from water, would
require an expenditure of energy, at least equal to the energy of
combustion, of that same Hydrogen with that same Oxygen, back into
water. This is very big time, and yielding far too small an amount to
be practical for breathing purposes.
Old January 28th 18, 12:34 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

PS - All our Oxygen comes from photosynthesis, which requires much Sun
light, plentiful here, but not on Pluto. We get rid of unwanted CO2
and are provided with food ( indirrectly ) in the bargain.
Old January 28th 18, 04:03 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 6:09:00 AM UTC-6, casagi... wrote:

The probe just sent showed totally lit up surface features of Pluto. The Sun gets through.

Lit up enough to see isn't the point. Pluto is 39.42 times as far from
the Sun as the Earth, and that equates to a relative solar intensity,
less by a factor of 1554 ! We probably get more by Moonlight !

Sunlight travels for billions of light years hardly diminished. That is how far away we can see stars even though maybe not individually.

Watch the science channel. Scientists are saying this on "How the Universe Works."

Where's the hard evidence ? No one can know what's beneath the
surface.

Scientists can tell by the fact that Pluto is geologically alive and the fact that it has an atmosphere and what the atmosphere is made of. They can also tell by surface features. You would be amazed what scientists can find out by simple deduction.

Chemists are smarter than you think. A little research and they have it down. It is not that hard for them to get oxygen out of water when they have an important reason to do so. Right now they do not have one, since oxygen can be obtained so much more easily in other ways.

Getting Oxygen ( and therefore also Hydrogen ) from water, would
require an expenditure of energy, at least equal to the energy of
combustion, of that same Hydrogen with that same Oxygen, back into
water. This is very big time, and yielding far too small an amount to
be practical for breathing purposes.

Then they can get the oxygen from the water by watering plants in a greenhouse. You figured it out for yourself. You did not even need scientists to do their research.

Why are you making this difficult? Don't you want to go to Pluto some day to spend a few months mining whatever there is to mine there? Or maybe to send your kids or grandkids if you don't want to do it yourself?

Why Colonize Space? Immortalista History 977 September 7th 09 02:25 AM
Why Colonize Space? Joseph Nebus History 0 July 26th 09 03:45 AM
Colonize Venus.. Rob Dekker SETI 34 August 6th 04 09:58 PM
Let's Colonize the Universe Rudolph_X Astronomy Misc 21 March 23rd 04 08:04 PM