ASTRO: M81

Old January 21st 07, 10:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M81

Time for a "decent" galaxy after posting some really faint ones like the
two Maffei galaxies and the WLM Galaxy.

After 2 days of trying to get this to work I realized I made a mistake
early on. I don't feel like redoing it. I don't think I could fix the
error and still do as well (the error gives artifacts in the "smooth"
parts of the arms) on the rest of it. At least not without another
couple days of work. I didn't record what I did.

Still I think it my best galaxy shot to date. I really like Holmberg IX
to the left. It is a dwarf galaxy M81 is tearing apart. I wasn't even
aware of it until it popped up in my image. Now I'm seeing it in other
images. Not sure how I missed it all these years. Anyone know of a
visual sighting? A check on the net showed a failure to see it in a 40"
in lousy conditions. That was all I found. The Lum image used all
color frames in addition to the true luminosity frames.

14" LX200R@f/10, L=3x10'+15x5' RGB=3x5' each color all binned 2x2,
STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M81L105RGB15C.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	368
Old January 22nd 07, 06:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Filip Lolic@w

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
Time for a "decent" galaxy after posting some really faint ones like the
two Maffei galaxies and the WLM Galaxy.

Hi Rick, that's real beauty with plenty of details! Wish I could make image
like that one

Regards
Filip

--
### http://disi.pondi.hr/ ###
@ N43.52145, E16.54027

Old January 23rd 07, 01:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
Still I think it my best galaxy shot to date........

Great image Rick! Seperating that double star next to M-81 (lower part of
your image) is a good test for hi-rez imaging.

I really like Holmberg IX
to the left. It is a dwarf galaxy M81 is tearing apart. I wasn't even
aware of it until it popped up in my image. Now I'm seeing it in other
images. Not sure how I missed it all these years. Anyone know of a
visual sighting? A check on the net showed a failure to see it in a 40"
in lousy conditions. That was all I found.......

I've never seen it in either Kopernik's 20RC or my Obsession 20, but I've
never looked under really dark sky. I'll give it a try in the spring when I
can get to a really dark location.

George N