Could/Should Skylab Have Been Saved?

Old August 26th 05, 10:56 PM
Derek Lyons

John Doe wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:
Utterly irrelevant. The transfer will take place long before ageing
becomes a problem (with the Russian segment). The ISS is also an
integrated unit, not the patchwork that was MIR.

The russian segment has already had aging problems: the elektron unit
stopped working and needed to be replaced. And its basic designs are
much older than that of the US segment.

Overaged design != overaged hardware. Elektron is failing because of
a problematical design, not aging.

The *disadvantage* is that you have to spend $MEGA_BUCKS getting the
old operational (Skylab) and more $MEGA_BUCKS *keeping* it operational
while adding the new modules.

If they had started to add new modules to Skylab in early 1980s, Skylab
wouldn't have been "so old". And as soon as the new modules provided all
the services Skylab provided, then Skylab can be shutdown and thrown
away, or simply kept as a storage module.

By the early 1980's Skylab is *already* old - it already has a variety
of hardware problems.

snippage handwaving bull****

So, when you start a station from scratch, it takes far longer to get it
to support human life.

That depends greatly on the design of the station.

Remember that expedition 1 started off basically camping in Zvezda with
minimal electrical power, and Elektron wasn't even running when they got
there. Probably not very different from Skylab.

ROTFLMAO.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old August 27th 05, 07:39 PM
Dr. P. Quackenbush

"Andre Lieven" wrote in message

"Jeff Findley" ) writes:
"Andre Lieven" wrote in message

Since Skylab had but one full service docking port, how would you
make this happen ? Dock another module to Skylab, and the CSM has...

nowhere to dock.

You dock a module to it that has a docking port on each end of its axis.
Better yet, how about sticking some radial docking ports on it as well?

Now
it's starting to sound a lot like the US nodes on ISS (shown here with a

PMA
on one end):

http://www.astronautix.com/craft/issunity.htm

http://space.skyrocket.de/index_fram...dat/node-1.htm
http://iss.cet.edu/designlayout/popu...es/n1wpma1.gif

Stick one of these sorts of modules on Skylab (on the axial port) and

you're
on your way.

All well and good, but the pair of Skylabs as *actually built* and flown,
has no such things.

No such things, no attaching any other modules to them. Period. Real

World.

Pair?

Old August 27th 05, 10:38 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:56:29 -0500, Dr. P. Quackenbush wrote
(in article et):

"Kelly McDonald sympatico.ca" kellymcdonald@nospam wrote in message
On 26 Aug 2005 19:41:47 GMT, (Andre Lieven)
wrote:

John Doe ) writes:

Since Skylab had but one full service docking port, how would you
make this happen ? Dock another module to Skylab, and the CSM has...

nowhere to dock.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the MDA for Skylab equipped with 2
docking ports?

Kelly McDonald

Yes, there were two. You can see it in a drawing he
http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/space/lectures/lec22.html

Only one was fully functional though, the axial port. That's what
Andre referred to as "full service." The radial port lacked any
provision for CSM/MDA umbilicals.

--
"Fame may be fleeting but obscurity is forever." ~Anonymous
"I believe as little as possible and know as much as I can."

Old August 27th 05, 11:00 PM
Dr. P. Quackenbush

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in
message .com...

wrote:

John Doe ) writes:

Since Skylab had but one full service docking port, how would you
make this happen ? Dock another module to Skylab, and the CSM has...

nowhere to dock.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the MDA for Skylab equipped with 2
docking ports?

Kelly McDonald

Yes, there were two. You can see it in a drawing he
http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/space/lectures/lec22.html

Only one was fully functional though, the axial port. That's what
Andre referred to as "full service." The radial port lacked any
provision for CSM/MDA umbilicals.

Correct. It was for back-up/rescue/eva only.

Old August 27th 05, 11:40 PM
Andre Lieven

wrote:

John Doe ) writes:

Since Skylab had but one full service docking port, how would you
make this happen ? Dock another module to Skylab, and the CSM has...

nowhere to dock.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the MDA for Skylab equipped with 2
docking ports?

Kelly McDonald

Yes, there were two. You can see it in a drawing he
http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/space/lectures/lec22.html

Only one was fully functional though, the axial port. That's what
Andre referred to as "full service." The radial port lacked any
provision for CSM/MDA umbilicals.

Exactly my point, yes. Thank you.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old August 28th 05, 08:33 AM
Joann Evans

"Jeff Findley" ) writes:
[...]

Yes. Back-up hardware was built, but is now a museum piece. (With
holes cut in it for tourist access, so don't even ask about dusting it
off, and launching it on...something.)

--

You know what to remove, to reply....

Old August 28th 05, 09:25 PM
Dr. P. Quackenbush

"Jeff Findley" ) writes:

All well and good, but the pair of Skylabs as *actually built* and

flown,
has no such things.

No such things, no attaching any other modules to them. Period. Real

World.

Pair?

Yes. Back-up hardware was built, but is now a museum piece. (With
holes cut in it for tourist access, so don't even ask about dusting it
off, and launching it on...something.)

That's exactly my point. I was responding to the poster that talked about
the pair being flown, which is crap.

Old August 29th 05, 02:12 PM
Jeff Findley

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote:
Unfortunately, the more the administration and NASA cuts pieces off of

the
US segment, the more ISS grows dependant on the Russian segment and the

more
likely ISS will have Mir like problems as it ages. :-(

Nonsense. Ageing effects occur regardless of who built the module.

I'll feel better when the US has a complete life support system independent
of the Russian segment. The US CO2 removal system has been regularly acting
up and the current US H2O and O2 supplies are directly dependant on the
shuttle supplying O2 (to the airlock tanks) and H2O (surplus from the
shuttle's fuel cells). Once the shuttle program completely ends, this must
be replaced by some other source, regenerative or otherwise.

Jeff