Hardin Optical 8" Dob

Old August 31st 03, 02:50 AM
Jim

Default Hardin Optical 8" Dob

Hardin Optical has an 8" Dob selling for $300. Comes with a 2" focuser and
50mm finder. It also has spring to maintain tension on the tube assembly.
This seems too good to be true. Is this a worthwhile scope??

Old August 31st 03, 03:18 AM
Robin R. Wier

"Jim" wrote in message
Hardin Optical has an 8" Dob selling for $300. Comes with

a 2" focuser and
50mm finder. It also has spring to maintain tension on the

tube assembly.
This seems too good to be true. Is this a worthwhile

scope??

Jim,
I was fortunate enough to get one of the last $400 10"
(similar) a few months ago. Myself and all knowledgable who
have seen it in action are overwhelmed.
Robin

Old September 1st 03, 12:56 AM
Rod Mollise

Hardin Optical has an 8" Dob selling for $300. Comes with a 2" focuser and
50mm finder. It also has spring to maintain tension on the tube assembly.
This seems too good to be true. Is this a worthwhile scope??

Hi:

I'll put it this way...if I were to buy an 8 or 10 inch dob (not likely, but ya
never know :-)), it would be one of these.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old September 1st 03, 01:15 AM
Jon Isaacs

Hi:

I'll put it this way...if I were to buy an 8 or 10 inch dob (not likely, but
ya
never know :-)), it would be one of these.

Peace,
Rod Mollise

I'll put it this way...if I were planning to buy an 8 or 10 inch SCT (not
likely but ya never know :-) ), it would be one of these!!!

Well, maybe not, but were I planning to buy an 8 inch Scope, it would be one of
these.

jon

Old September 1st 03, 02:32 PM
Eclipsme

Yes, I bought the 8' as my first scope about 5 or 6 months ago. (Well, I had
a cheap 3.5" as a kid, but I don't really count it) Since then, I have been
to a few star parties including a Mars party just 2 nights ago. I had the
opportunity to directly compare my scope with SCTs, as well as other dobs
and a couple of refractors. My scope performed extremely well, better than
some of the 10' scopes I viewed from (IMHO) and certainly as well as or
better than its peers. However the 14" that was there was truly spectacular.

For $300 I recommend this scope. However, be aware that it is a $300 scope.
While the optics are excellent (at least very good), and the tube is metal,
it is thin and can be dented easily. As has been stated in this group
previously, The finder scope mounting bracket is a bit off kilter, but still
useable. The EPs are useable, but I have gotten the Orion 2x shorty Barlow.
From what I read, I think I would have been better off with the standard
Barlow. There seems to be ample focus travel, and it is fairly smooth. The
14" Dob at the party had a $600 focuser - talk about smooth. Wow!

At some point, I will probably take the mount apart and apply ebony star
laminate as I find the azimuth control to be a bit jerky. Either that I will
invest in some sort of tracking device - EQ platform or convert to a Polaris
mount.

Overall, I believe an excellent value.

BTW - I considered the 10", but am happy I went with the 8". I would not set
up the 10" as often due to the added weight. If I had a permanent
observatory, I would go with the 10", though.

Sincerely,
Harvey

Old September 5th 03, 10:34 PM
Matt Reed

"Eclipsme" wrote
"As has been stated in this group previously, The finder scope mounting
bracket is a bit off kilter, but still useable."

I just got my DSH 8 in and have the same issue with the finder scope
mounting bracket.

Could not find the earlier thread about this - what was the suggested fix?

Matt

Old September 6th 03, 02:04 AM
Phil Wheeler

My GS 10" Dob (OPT) came with a good 9x50 finder. I added a Telrad
between it and the focusser, so I have the best of two worlds.

Phil

Robin R. Wier wrote:
"Matt Reed" wrote in message
. ..

"Eclipsme" wrote
"As has been stated in this group previously, The finder

scope mounting

bracket is a bit off kilter, but still useable."

I just got my DSH 8 in and have the same issue with the

finder scope

mounting bracket.

Could not find the earlier thread about this - what was

the suggested fix?

Matt

Matt,
For myself, it was a "Quikfinder" from "Rigal Systems". I
removed, and discarded, all traces of "el cheepo" finder.
Thinking of getting a few more "Quikfinder"s for use on
other scopes and big binos.
Robin