More Space Anime

Old October 11th 03, 11:43 PM
C. F. Leon

Default More Space Anime

In a previous post about best space movies, I mentioned some examples
in Japanese anime, namely:

1) the Memories movie,
2) the Tv series Martian Successor Nadesico (sometimes called Mobile
Battleship Nadesico) and the movie Prince of Darkness,
3) the Urusei Yatsura series, especially the 2nd movie Beautiful
Dreamer,
4)

I ran out of time before I could mention more, but I can now. Also
see:

5) The OVA series Magic Users Club. It's a rather silly fantasy, but
the oav series concerns alien invaders and their reaction to the use
of magic. A rather unusual take on the alien invader theme, especially
at the beginning when the invaders arrive. (I won't spoil the
surprise, but it addresses a common complaint about space shows.) The
tv series does not deal with the aliens.
6) the Oh My Goddess! movie. The series is a really good romantic
comedy about Norse goddesses in the modern world, but the movie begins
with a beautiful scene on Luna, and there's a couple of later scenes
on what is obviously Mars. Also to be mentioned is the episode of
Mini_Goddessses (don't ask) where the rat Gan-chan dreams of flying.
7) The series Cowboy Bebop (also the movie Knocking on Heaven's Door).
If you like the blues in a soundtrack, this is the show you've been
waiting for.
8) Nadia of the Mysterious Seas. Most of the 39 episodes are a
take-off of Verne's 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, but there is Jean's
love of flying and the last couple of episodes takes place in Earth
orbit.
9) The Spirit of Wonder: Miss China's Ring. We never REALLY leave
Earth, but there still is a very unconventional trip to Luna.
10) The Wings Of Honeamise (also called Royal Space Force). A
WONDERFUL movie about another world's attempt at manned spaceflight. I
cannot recommend this movie enough!!! Avoid the older ('80s release)
tape released as Royal Space Force; it is a chopped up version with
bad dubbing.
11) Macross Plus. The whole Macross complex of movies and series could
be mentioned, but I particularly like these 4 ovas because of the
music. Also, Sharon Apple is controlling me (movie injoke).
12) Legend of Galactic Heroes. Not one of my favorites, but several of
my friends are major fans. A true space opera involving warring
civilizations with views of both sides.

This is just some of the best. I could go on for pages with more.
Old October 12th 03, 03:46 AM
Chuck Stewart

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:43:40 -0700, C. F. Leon wrote:

In a previous post about best space movies, I mentioned some examples in
Japanese anime, namely:

snip

This is just some of the best. I could go on for pages with more.

(Whacks Leon with spare Side 7 Defence Ball...)

Shallow youth...

Overlooked Hard SF Gem: "Mighty Space Miners"
(Be warned: bean counters canceled after first OVA, so
ends in cliffhanger...but worthwhile mometheless.)

Recent, and excellent, SF story about young heroes who
are training to fight an entirely _different_ kind of
extrasolar menace: "Stellvia of the Universe"

Current 'Allen Steele meets Anime' effort: "Planetes"
(First ep is out, as is jury...)

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

Old October 12th 03, 04:16 PM
JNICHOLS

" 7) The series Cowboy Bebop (also the movie Knocking on Heaven's Door).
If you like the blues in a soundtrack, this is the show you've been
waiting for.

If you like the music of Cowboy Bebop, try this link to "The Jazz
Messengers" site.

http://www.jazzmess.com/index.html

Lots of good music there from the series.

Old October 13th 03, 09:08 AM
Paul Blay

"C. F. Leon" wrote ...
In a previous post about best space movies, I mentioned some examples
in Japanese anime, namely:

+ planetes
Old October 13th 03, 10:42 PM
C. F. Leon

(C. F. Leon) wrote in message . com...
In a previous post about best space movies, I mentioned some examples
in Japanese anime, namely:

1) the Memories movie,
2) the Tv series Martian Successor Nadesico (sometimes called Mobile
Battleship Nadesico) and the movie Prince of Darkness,
3) the Urusei Yatsura series, especially the 2nd movie Beautiful
Dreamer,
4)

Sorry, #4 got erasing in editing.
4) Captain Harlock, in particular The Harlock Saga. All of the Harlock
stories, Galaxy Express 999, Queen Esmeraldas, and SpaceShip Yamamoto
(basis of Robotech) are considered to take place in the same universe
(the "Leijiverse"). A far-ranging attempt at future history a la
Asimov or Heinlein. I picked Harlock Saga as an example, but Galaxy
Express 999 is fun, too (sigh, Maetel...).

I also want to add:

13) Alien 9. An ova series about how some elementary schools deal with
alien attacks (they elect an alien defense club. Poor Yumi is picked
because no one else wants to wear an alien on their heads.). Fair
warning on the last episode (#4): the real ending runs during the
credits.
14) Have to also mention the Gundam Multi-Saga. There's about a dozen
movies, and as many Tv series; so many that they have branched into
alternate universes and retelling stories from different viewpoints. I
like the original, but Gundam G has been good as far as I've seen it.
Gundam Wing, the most familiar, is pretty good, too, but I'm not
really a bishonen fan. Lady Aun, on the other hand, is in my book as
one fine lady, as long as she keeps her glasses off (injoke).
15) Tenchi Muyo! Another one with several retellings. The oav series
is still the best in both story and technical quality, but the first
tv series (Tenchi Universe has some fun moments (Kyone is a regular
character, rather than just a bit part in Mihoshi's story), and even
Tenchi In Tokyo has a couple of laughs. The 3 movies take place in the
Universe continuity. I'd recommend the first 2 movies (Tenchi in Love,
Daughter of Darkness), both of which have excellent quality, and
catching #3 (Tenchi Forever) only for the sake of completeness. I have
not seen the new oavs yet (#14 and on), they are only just being
released.
16) Abenobashi Magic Shopping District. This short tv series is mainly
a series of hops between pararell worlds by two kids, with each one
being a parody of a different anime/movie cliche. The 3rd episode is a
great parody of space movies, don't miss the 2001 bit.

Once again, there's plenty mo you can go for alien invasions
(Iczer, Argent Soma, Figure 17), comedy (Trigun, Project A-ko, Outlaw
Star, Angel Links, Idol Project), colonization (Venus Wars, Armitage
the 3rd) horror (the GallForce series, L.I.L.Y. Cat) and any other
gendre you care to name.
Old October 13th 03, 10:46 PM
C. F. Leon

"Chuck Stewart" wrote in message abs.edu...

Overlooked Hard SF Gem: "Mighty Space Miners"
(Be warned: bean counters canceled after first OVA, so
ends in cliffhanger...but worthwhile mometheless.)

Recent, and excellent, SF story about young heroes who
are training to fight an entirely _different_ kind of
extrasolar menace: "Stellvia of the Universe"

Current 'Allen Steele meets Anime' effort: "Planetes"
(First ep is out, as is jury...)

I haven't seen Mighty Space Miners, although a couple of friends have
and didn't like it. I reserve judgement until I've seen it.

My club is currently running Stellvia, and it is excellent.
Old October 14th 03, 02:46 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Chuck Stewart" wrote in
news
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:43:40 -0700, C. F. Leon wrote:

In a previous post about best space movies, I mentioned some examples in
Japanese anime, namely:

snip

This is just some of the best. I could go on for pages with more.

(Whacks Leon with spare Side 7 Defence Ball...)

Shallow youth...

Preach it, brother! Give me Gundam any day (and I'm talking Old Skool
Universal Century Gundam, not that pretty-boy Wing/Seed stuff... not that
there's anything *wrong* with that...). Special kudos for its depiction of
O'Neill space colonies just two years after the publication of _The High
Frontier_.

Recent, and excellent, SF story about young heroes who
are training to fight an entirely _different_ kind of
extrasolar menace: "Stellvia of the Universe"

Need to watch that.

Current 'Allen Steele meets Anime' effort: "Planetes"
(First ep is out, as is jury...)

The opening scene is really cool, at least. A piece of space debris (a
bolt) smashes through the window of a spaceliner in LEO. I really need to
sit down and watch the rest.
--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old October 15th 03, 06:27 AM
Chuck Stewart

Default That Jenkins hack again... (Was More Space Anime)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:46:31 +0000, Jorge R. Frank wrote:

"Chuck Stewart" wrote in
news

Current 'Allen Steele meets Anime' effort: "Planetes" (First ep is out,
as is jury...)

The opening scene is really cool, at least. A piece of space debris (a
bolt) smashes through the window of a spaceliner in LEO. I really need to
sit down and watch the rest.

Speaking of hazardous orbital debris... A short promo
feature that a Japanese media show did on "Planetes" is
floating around the anime binaries newsgroups (Don't ask
me what I was doing in that neighborhood and I won't
tell... All I can say is that Mii is a pervert.)

Anywayz... the reporter did the usual "going into the
anime studio" routine and stopped by the reference
bookshelf of the series mecha designer (and, clue for the
newbies, "mecha" means "mechanical", not "giant robot"),
the camera did a pan of the books... and there it was.

Jenkins.

Again.

In between Kozloski's "U.S. Space Gear" and that gaggle
of guy's "The Space Shuttle Operator's Manual".

Add in the suspiciously authored Jenkins and Landis'
"Hypersonic", Jay Miller's "The X-Planes", Melvyn Smith's
"Space Shuttle" and things are looking pretty bad for
this anime... And what's up with some guy nmed Miller's
"The Dream Machines", huh?

Indeed prospects seem dim for this show... but at least
there was no sign of "Red Star In Orbit" on the shelf...