SpaceLoft XL Failure

Old October 4th 06, 02:53 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

Default SpaceLoft XL Failure

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 16:51:14 -0400, "C. Newport"
wrote:

OK, now I've got to figure this out. Accordoing to Estes, a D motor is a
maximum of 20 newton-seconds. A Q motor is anywhere from 81,920 n-s to
163,840 n-s. Consequently, you would need anywhere from 4,096 to 8,192
Estes D motors to equal the output of Gene's Q motor.

....Now, for extra credit, how wide would the booster have to be to
hold all those D's in parallel? :-) :-)

I feel good now

....We can neither confirm nor deny, as none of us have felt you to
verify your claims :-P

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old October 4th 06, 03:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:34:35 +0100, Darren J Longhorn
wrote:

On 3 Oct 2006 15:28:10 -0700, wrote:

You are right Pat, I have a display model of the N-1. A flight version
would diff. be a nightmare! The guy that just calc'd the # of "D"
engines gets a star. Could you imagine trying to get that many of them
to fire at once?

http://www.moonrace2001.org/n1_launch.shtml
http://www.polecataerospace.com/1_16..._soviet_n1.htm

....On the other hand, there's this one summary they give that has me
shaking my head in utter dismay:

"We decided not to try to repair the rocket. The first stage and
interstage were pretty banged up. The final factor was getting it
home. We needed the space in the trailer for launch gear. With the
rocket working so well, we decided that another flight would just be
redundant."

....Maybe, but it would have been *FUN*! And that's what model rocketry
is all about when you get down to it. That, and putting pillbugs and
crickets through 8-10G's of terror :-P

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old October 4th 06, 04:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Clark

wrote in news:1159893971.254156.44030
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
Hope this helps you out. My Space Club Kids are building a 1:48th Scale
Saturn V right now, (Scratch design has been a nightmare). I will not
let them work with the high power stuff, (But we wish you good luck,
and God Speed).

Carl

If your Saturn V is for display, then were you aware of the website "Lower
Hudson Valley Paper Model Giftshop"? It's at
http://jleslie48.com/index.html

Between the site owner and some contributors, they have files to build a
Saturn V in both 1/96 and 1/48 scale for display, along with a Gemini-Titan
and a Titan III in the same scale. They take donations if you can.

I'm not any of the contributors or the site owner, I'm just amazed at how
good the drawings look.

Jeff Clark
Cocoa, FL
Old October 4th 06, 03:14 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Jeff Clark wrote:
[...]

We got our thrust structure from LHV Site. The full 1:48th scale that
Jon has posted is not as good a detail as that of the thrust structure
in the misc. section. We are repainting as we , (slow), go. The 1:96th
Saturn V that Ton designed and posted there, is great. When you take it
to 1:48th, you lose some detail. In answer to the question of the
source on the N-1 display model source it was:

I am always working on real and prop. model hardware projects with the
kids. I like to try and use the models, (Flying and Display), to teach
the history of Space Hardware Systems. I think that history is in the
Kitchen Details. That is one of the reasons I like the postings here,
(when they stay on topics of booster/craft/programs, roots, and tech.
info.)

Thanks,

Carl

Old October 4th 06, 08:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Darren J Longhorn

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 19:05:52 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Darren J Longhorn wrote:

http://www.moonrace2001.org/n1_launch.shtml
http://www.polecataerospace.com/1_16..._soviet_n1.htm

Ah hell, you beat me to it.

Not that the above links refer to separate projects.